cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 45 feet too long?

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
In our constant search for a new rig... the one we like the best so far is of course - 45 feet - tag. Right now we have a 36 foot 5er. Our other choice is a 41 footer, but it's not the same quality.
Is there a big difference in driving/backing such a big rig than say... the 41 footer? Or, are we going to regret driving around such a giant house?
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
33 REPLIES 33

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Go for the big rig. We just jumped from a 30' to a 39' and have some concerns getting into some of the older campgrounds in the northeast. we discussed this at great length and decided that if we can't get into the CGs that we like, we would find different CGs that we'll learn to love.
More the concern is ground clearence issues than lengh issues. having a longer wheel base and a lower frame/chassis height then our previous MH I worry that I'll bottom out and get the chassis "beached on a hump/ knoll on some of the back roads in new england and my drivway. Go it I say. Friday the 5th is when we take delivery of ours, we'll repor back regarding manuverabilty
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Get the one who's floorplan will work for your family.
Everything else can be fudged or worked around.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of roads in Ca. that limit the length of a vehicle in terms king pin length. For a class a the king pin would be considered your front axle. The state hwy. that runs north and south just west of yosimite has king pin limits of 30'. You wont be taking a 45' rv on that one. I had a 37' rv when I was there and there was 2 switchbacks I would not have made in the rv.

Ca. has lots of roads with king pin limits.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy the 45' and go camping at Folsom Lake, Beals Point!!!! You'll fit....one of my favorites until they raised the price to $58/night...:E:E...I think they closed the camping at Negro Bar.........Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Need to Ck.out the lisence restrictions I your stat.
Just found out I may need to get a Class B! From Tx.
Still researching, am being to.d that Ins. Companies may balk at paying
with out a Class. B.

Medico
Explorer II
Explorer II
The key I believe was already mentioned. Turning radius. I am totally amazed at how my CC will out turn coaches several feet shorter. Next comes familiarity with that turning radius and how to use your mirrors to back up.

Just remember, the back end hangs over the rear tag quite a ways, so you have to account for it.

Now lets talk ride! You cannot beat a 45 foot with tag for ride comfort. I have driven the same model, 40 foot and 43 foot back to back (Allegro Bus) and the tag on the 43 foot made quite a difference. Next I drove my present CC 45 foot and boy o boy what a difference. It's like a Rolls Royce verses a Cadillac versus a Chevrolet!
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
UsualSuspect wrote:
State Parks are the biggest issue, very few have spots for it.

You're judging ALL state parks by the ones you have in California -- which is a mistake -- as less than 20% of CA campsites are 40' and greater.

However, nationwide almost 50% of state park campsites are 40' and greater. Check it out.

The OP lives in California.

True enough, but since folks from all over the country are responding to this thread, that distinction may be lost. Also, maybe OP plans on traveling outside CA.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
UsualSuspect wrote:

You're judging ALL state parks by the ones you have in California -- which is a mistake -- as less than 20% of CA campsites are 40' and greater.

However, nationwide almost 50% of state park campsites are 40' and greater. Check it out.

The OP lives in California.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
JTHarley wrote:
I would want a 50' if they made it.....no big difference in driving at all. You may be careful when manuevering in small areas or backing into sites but with a little help you will get used to it quickly and LOVE the added length.

I think they have Articulating buses that have been converted to motorhomes. I think they go up to about 60 feet or so.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the longer the better! I own a 36' coach and I have trouble at times getting RV spaces in Washington State Parks and some Federal Campgrounds. This seems to happen to me when there's only a few RV Spaces left in these campgrounds. Plan ahead when traveling and you will avoid difficulties!

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
I would want a 50' if they made it.....no big difference in driving at all. You may be careful when manuevering in small areas or backing into sites but with a little help you will get used to it quickly and LOVE the added length.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
We pondered this same issue when we recently traded our 36' DP for the 42' we now have. In fact, we could have possibly made a slightly better deal on some of the 45' coaches we saw compared to the 41' and 42' we seriously considered.

My main concern was getting the rig into the fairly tight parking spot where we must store it in our HOA. However, with the lifting tag axle and the wheel cut of the IFS on this coach, I can actually turn in the same space as the 36' coach.

We understood that there might be some camping spots into which we will not fit. We've traveled enough around the US in our other motorhomes to feel like we will always be able to find a suitable RV spot even with the 42'.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
UsualSuspect wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem is not the length. The problem is the driver.

Many cannot back a pick up truck. And they will never go and practice in an empty parking lot.

Watched a guy in a 45 footer back into a spot and it took 25 minutes into an easy spot. He hit his air brakes every couple inches and seemed like 100 times. He was spooked.

Same trip watched a 5th wheel about 32 feet jack knifed every which way for over 20 minutes. Practice so you do not look like that.

Pogoil.