cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sani flush black water holding tank

debbieboston
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome has a saniflush for the black water holding tank. Do you think using the fresh water hose on the saniflush would be safe as there is probably a backflow device on the saniflush?
12 REPLIES 12

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "Y" on the end of the fresh water hose. It has shut off valves. I have a short hose with a quick disconnect from one side of the "Y" to the flush connection. The other side goes to the fresh water connection. The flush system also has an anti-siphon valve. When I need to dump and flush, I attach the short hose and turn that side on... AFTER I turn the fresh water side off. After flushing, I turn the flush side off and disconnect that hose. I then turn the fresh water supply back on. If I am at a dump station, I use a separate hose, not my fresh water hose. I store everything in appropriately designated areas. I always hook up fresh water before any sewer water connections and I wear rubber gloves for waste water handling. I'm very careful not to contaminate fresh water. We have two filters, but we still don't drink water from the tank.... ever. It is for cooking and hygiene only.
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a 25' hose priced less than $12, why would you want to.:h.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a device that I hook to camp water, so I can have fresh water hose and gray hose. At gray hose I have an extra back flow valve as well as on and off water valve. Course there is another back water flow valve at flush area.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't see what can happen. There is a check valve and the inlet is well above the tank. Furthermore, the tank would have to be full and pressurized somehow (how?) to the point that it overcomes the pressure of the water hose you have hooked up to it. Then the brass check valve would have to somehow fail at the same time. (and if the tank pressurized it would split long before it hit 30~40 psi).
All this happening while water at real pressure is pushing against it.

One more thing to consider, if you think the tank can pressurize enough to flow back into the hose somehow then the contamination wouldn't stop there. It would include the hose bib and CG plumbing.
At some point you still have to connect city water to it.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely NOT. Very unsafe and downright dangerous for your health. That could spread hepatitis and a whole range of other nasty diseases if you do it on the black and then use it again on the fresh water. Go buy a new fresh water hose and use your existing for the black rinse. Wrap each end of the old hose with widely spaced turns of black electrical tape to indicate it being for black and grey use.
jwmII

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a separate hose. Although the risk is pretty low why it's one I would prefer not to take. I like multitasking items in the coach but the white hose is only used for one thing, potable water.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I will add this, if you do use a separate hose please do your self a favor and store it with the sewer things not your fresh water hoses.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short and simple NO HOW NO WAY!!!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I use a el cheapo garden hose

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not use the same hose for the flush and for drinking water. No way. Even if there is a check valve, it can leak or fail.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rv dealers have a grey hose used for the flushing of black tanks. they come in various lengths. I sure wouldn't take the chance of using my fresh water hose to hook up to a black tank with or without a back flow device.

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you could but I use a separate hose, but I've wondered the same thing. What stops me is the sewer hose is usually nearby or attached to the drain valve. I usually have the fresh water hose disconnected and stored separate when dumping.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler