cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin RV 760LMT Tips

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I know there have been at least a million threads recommending this unit. I decided to try one. Can anyone share some tricks and tips to make life easier for users of this unit. Their manual is rather generic. Tips like building custom routes and adding POI's etc.

Thanx
20 REPLIES 20

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I use a lot of waypoints and shaping points to force the GPS to follow the planned route. Also "Shorter" or "Faster" must match or it'll do strange things.
-jbh-

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
MY experience is that you can plan a route on Basecamp and be happy as a clam with it. But, when you transfer it to the Garmin, it may or may not bear any resemblance to the one just made in Basecamp.

Because of this I just use Google Maps as prime and Garmin as an interesting backup.

But maybe it is headspace on my part though I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
"to turn unit OFF.. press and HOLD the off button till a new box shows on screen.. yes or no for OFF.."

I tried that and it would come back on. Took it on the road today and it would turn on/off. But the route I loaded last night wasn't on the GPS. And I checked it out after I loaded it. Oh well---all part of the frustrating learning curve!

Thanks
DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
acker1 wrote:
"When you download Basecamp it has a basic map but to create routes you need the maps loaded on your GPS. There are two ways to do this. The first is to connect your GPS to the computer and use the maps on the GPS. The second way is to load the maps that are on your GPS to the computer."

How do you transfer the maps on GPS to computer?

I am new to the RV760, haven't used it yet but sure getting confused trying to learn it. Couldn't even turn it off tonight. Unplugged it, kept trying the off button. It was in 'demo' mode if that makes a difference.

Thanks
DICK

to turn unit OFF.. press and HOLD the off button till a new box shows on screen.. yes or no for OFF..

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Basecamp has a REALLY REALLY steep learing curve but it's worth it. These days I can lay out a route in Basecamp and the GPS follows it faithfully.

But it's tough and there's not a whole of help to be found. If Garmin could just hire someone to make it intuitive it would be a winner.
-jbh-

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
"When you download Basecamp it has a basic map but to create routes you need the maps loaded on your GPS. There are two ways to do this. The first is to connect your GPS to the computer and use the maps on the GPS. The second way is to load the maps that are on your GPS to the computer."

How do you transfer the maps on GPS to computer?

I am new to the RV760, haven't used it yet but sure getting confused trying to learn it. Couldn't even turn it off tonight. Unplugged it, kept trying the off button. It was in 'demo' mode if that makes a difference.

Thanks
DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
If you have a toad do you just change RV length? I could not find anything for with or without trailer. Does the length change any routing?

No, don't include the towed when entering the length. No change to routing.

FYI - I will always check Google Maps, etc, for a route in the future, because the 760 has an irrational preference for federal highways. It added about an hour to one of the legs of our winter trip because of this.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
DonPd wrote:
When you download Basecamp it has a basic map but to create routes you need the maps loaded on your GPS. There are two ways to do this. The first is to connect your GPS to the computer and use the maps on the GPS. The second way is to load the maps that are on your GPS to the computer. You need to download Garmin Express it is used to update you GPS and as you update your GPS with new maps you can store the map to your computer. Once the map is on the computer you can create routes without the GPS connected to the computer and when you are finished connect your GPS and transfer the routes to the GPS.
Mapsource is no long supported by Garmin but does the same things as Basecamp.
I don't know anything about using MS S&T.

Is basecamp really worth the trouble?
I purchased a RV 760LMT. I like the unit and it seems to work well. But I tried using basecamp on my computer and it is like learning a whole new Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word software program if you've never used one before. All sorts of little icons that make no sense, all sorts of directions, import maps from here and there.
Too complicated for me so I gave up.

But for those of you who have persevered and learned the system, is it worth the time spent learning? What advantages does basecamp give you? Thanks for any info.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to add routes to the RV 760 other than BootCamp? That program is terrible.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a toad do you just change RV length? I could not find anything for with or without trailer. Does the length change any routing?

DonPd
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
I am confused. BC shows I can't do anything without the GPS connected.What does Mapsource do?

Wouldn't it be easier to just use MS S&T and export the GPX file?

When you download Basecamp it has a basic map but to create routes you need the maps loaded on your GPS. There are two ways to do this. The first is to connect your GPS to the computer and use the maps on the GPS. The second way is to load the maps that are on your GPS to the computer. You need to download Garmin Express it is used to update you GPS and as you update your GPS with new maps you can store the map to your computer. Once the map is on the computer you can create routes without the GPS connected to the computer and when you are finished connect your GPS and transfer the routes to the GPS.

Mapsource is no long supported by Garmin but does the same things as Basecamp.

I don't know anything about using MS S&T.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, Automatic, Quad Cab, Shortbed.
2006 34' Mountaineer 328RLS, 5th Wheel Trailer.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The normal GPS unit should be used for informational purposes only and not for the gospel way to get there. I use mine mostly for routing thru major cities when exits could be on the left or right

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I am confused. BC shows I can't do anything without the GPS connected.What does Mapsource do?

Wouldn't it be easier to just use MS S&T and export the GPX file?

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
phoenix.bears wrote:
.........................snip

Was on the Oregon coast, Newport, and headed to Coos Bay. The 760 wanted me to go East to I 5, then South and eventualy West to Coos Bay. This was MILES & HOURS out of the way. I have done this trip many times and my Nuvi had no problem going right down the 101 so I went. At every oppertunity, even some dirt roads the 760 instructed me to turn around and go back to Newport & follow IT'S instructions. Eventually after many miles it gave me a low clearance warning. I chose to ignore it & continued on following the Nuvi. As we neared Coos Bay the 760 gave up deciding this was the way I was going to go. Called Garmin and gave them the details. I found out that I should have taken "screen shots" using the camera ikon in the upper right corner and sent them the informatiom, at the time I did not that. I asked Garmin to duplicate my trip, they could find no problem. Without the NUVI or my own knowledge I would have gone hours & miles out of my way, and to say the least would NOT BEEN HAPPY.

...................snip

This is why I say as point and shot they suck. Down load Base camp from the Garmin site; not very good as a routing tool but better then point and shoot. After installing Base Camp; down load and install Mapsource from the Garmin site both are free. Mapsource is a great routing tool. It doesn't have the over head that BC has, interfaces better with Google Earth and since they aren't doing updates doesn't crash like BC does every other time Garmin does an up date.

Mapsource should load directly to the 760, I think the 1XXX models are like the 2XXX and 3XXX models, you'll need to import the route(s) from Mapsource to BC to upload.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin