cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Laptop

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking for ideas on brands and models. Here’s my wish list: 15”, full keyboard with num pad, i7, 2.7 GHz, 8 GB upgradable to 16GB, non integrated graphics chip, 512 GB SSD or 256 + 1 TB, USB C, 2x USB 3.1, HDMI, WiFi ac, touch screen optional, good service if required, $1000 limit desired, W10 is a given these days. I’m currently using W7 and 200 GB so a 256 GB SSD is a possibility with my external USB hard drive if needed.

A Dell 15 7000 came close except for the keyboard and it had the Intel integrated graphics.

Suggestions?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
14 REPLIES 14

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
ASUS K550 over at Newegg.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the DW a https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/windows-laptops/notebook-series-5/np530e5m-x02us-np530e5m-x02us... It also is Bluetooth so you don't need cables to up load photo's. The Geforce card gives a better picture than my 4k tv.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Thanks for all of the comments and I'll follow up.

I thought the Dell I tired with integrated graphics was a little slow. Perhaps due to sharing the main memory. It also had a defective mousepad which may have been a factor.

Just saw a HP Envy 2 in 1 15-AQ273Cl 15.6” at Cosco for $900. Integrated UHD 620 graphics, 8GB, 256 GB SSD. i7-8550U Processor at 1.8 GHz, 4 GHz with turbo boost, not sure how this translates to performance.

Still reading about this model but using the Cosco CC provides a 4 year warranty which is a plus.

You also have a 90 day return at Costco, no questions asked. That will give you time to try it out and if it doesn't meet your needs, then take it back. Just don't put a lot of personal info on it until you are sure you are going to keep it.

I am not a HP fan; they have too many quirky parts and their laptops don't seem to physically hold up well.

I would go with a Dell or Lenovo.

This is a pretty high-end laptop, it won't come cheap.

I agree with a separate keyboard & mouse for extended use. Everyone has favorites; I like the Logitech wireless combos.

You can also get a good numeric keypad that plugs into a USB, for serious use.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go...

I always buy from dell outlet..

This laptop is a force to be reckoned with IMO..

Hope the link works..

These go fast

Processor: Intel Core 7th Generation i7-7700HQ Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.80 GHz, 6MB Cache, 35W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
128GB M.2 Solid State Drive
16 GB DDR4 Non-ECC SDRAM 2400MHz (1x16GB)
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Black - LCD Back Cover (Non-Touch Screen)
Dell Outlet Inspiron 15 - 7567 Laptop

$998 bucks

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I like the sounds of that Envy. SSD is small but that's easy and inexpensive to upgrade aftermarket either external USB or internally.

If it has USB 3.1 Gen2 / Thunderbolt 3, you can connect an external desktop GPU when needed.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all of the comments and I'll follow up.

I thought the Dell I tired with integrated graphics was a little slow. Perhaps due to sharing the main memory. It also had a defective mousepad which may have been a factor.

Just saw a HP Envy 2 in 1 15-AQ273Cl 15.6” at Cosco for $900. Integrated UHD 620 graphics, 8GB, 256 GB SSD. i7-8550U Processor at 1.8 GHz, 4 GHz with turbo boost, not sure how this translates to performance.

Still reading about this model but using the Cosco CC provides a 4 year warranty which is a plus.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check Lenovo Outlet out first.
Lenovo laptops are built solid, typically enterprise quality. They bought out IBM Think Pads years ago.

Large corporations lease them on a yearly basis, then turn them in and get new ones.

Lenovo outlet is the place to get them from, however you must watch the site as they come in the back door, factory refurbished and out the front door quickly. Also on the site are scratch and dent, items ordered and cancelled, etc.

They all have a full 1 year warranty that is really great. I received a refurbished laptop, screen pixelated after a month or so. I called them, in an hour UPS brought me a box with labels, postage paid for next day, and they picked it up when I had it safely packaged in their box.
They received following day, repaired and sent it back to me next day. 3 days! Awesome service!

When I say watch site close, 5 minutes can be a whole new inventory and they can be sold out in 10 minutes. (Geeks and businesses watch that site constantly)

I have bought probably 12-15 laptops from them. Paying 50-75 percent of original cost. I just bought a Carbon X1 for my GF and saved about $500. Lightest laptop and with Intel I7 and SSD, it is lightning! She loves it.

Link to Lenovo Outlet
Inquiring minds want to know...

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
DW's Dell Inspiron 7559 meets all those requirements.

It has lighted keyboard.

Integrated graphics, yes, but it also has an Nvidia dedicated graphics card.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Walmart web site for refurbished, new warranty. I have two and a desktop, all have been trouble free.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always gone with the best keyboards for start, and my experience is Lenovo has the best.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't mind a slightly smaller (14") I think HP has some in the 200-300 range.

And if you only do web browsing. Consider A Chrome book for half that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When I need to do a lot of typing (for example all day) I use a separate ergonomic keyboard which is much easier on my hands. The laptop then becomes a fancy monitor.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
1000 limit really rules out discreet graphics. Any particular reason why integrated isn't good enough? Intel has really improved their internal graphics lately.

I love my new laptop. Dell XPS 9650;

Quad core i7-7700
16gb ddr4 ram
NVidia 1050 with dedicated 8gb vram
1tb pci-express SSD
15" 10-bit 4k touchscreen display
Thunderbolt 3 port and and a few USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, plus HDMI port
802.11ac dual band "killer" wireless, don't think it supports wave 2 though

Cost about 2200 with government discount

Edit: 2018 XPS will bring 8th Gen CPU and full 40 gbit (4 lane) bandwidth to the Thunderbolt port. 2017 didn't have enough lanes available, so TB3 is limited to 20gbit (poor external gpu support)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Just off the top of my head, not positive about this...

I think all laptops have integrated video chips.
i7 is mostly handy in combination with larger video card.

If all you can find is integrated go with the i5.