cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Downloaded by Itself????

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Like a few other folks, Window 10 downloaded by itself yesterday.

OK, so I was going to do it anyway.

Question, I now have an application called "SystemHealer" which fires up by itself. Checks my computer files for garbage and finds a bunch of stuff. Offers to clean up the garbage but I must register and pay a fee first. Is this application part of Windows 10 or is it some mischief application looking to infect my system?

Can I just uninstall this application without any problems?
13 REPLIES 13

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Irover wrote:

GWX Control panel will take care of it not loading. Download then follow the instructions. Worked great on this old Dell W/7 Pro which is not supported per Dell Website!

+1 is not appropriate. Closer to +25.

Between friends & family, I have put GWX Control Panel on around 25 machines so far. I missed one and the user hates they were pushed to Win10.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
ccxnola wrote:
In Win 8.1 that I use, every so often there is a pop-up to advise that important system updates are available - and I usually go ahead and do the updates. But once, I noticed that Win 10 was loading!! I aborted the update and started tracking to find out why. '
Lo and behold, all of the 'important' updates were for my Win 8.1 - BUT on a different pages are the 'optional' updates and there was WIN 10 - checked and ready to load. So now, every time I get ready to accept updates to Win 8.1, I go to the 'optional' page and uncheck the WIN 10 load.
Just one more MS PITA!!!

GWX Control panel will take care of it not loading. Download then follow the instructions. Worked great on this old Dell W/7 Pro which is not supported per Dell Website!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
bcsdguy wrote:
I downloaded and installed a little program called GWX control panel. I had Win 10 already downloaded on my desktop machine but when I ran GWX, it allowed me to stop and kill off win 10. I will stay with win7 until 2020 an then, if I live that long, I will probably need a new computer and will deal with that, then.

Same here. GWX killed windows 10. Microsoft is trying to force windows 10 on us. I'm happy with 7.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Folks in another thread also think I am nuts by DISABLING AUTOMATIC UPDATES AND MANUALLY GOING TO MS UPDATES AND CHOOSING ONE AT A TIME.

I don't think you're nuts. I just strongly disagree with you and have never experienced the problems you have. There are lots of people who don't know much about PCs and without balancing posts, they might believe what you describe is the way things will turn out.

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I downloaded and installed a little program called GWX control panel. I had Win 10 already downloaded on my desktop machine but when I ran GWX, it allowed me to stop and kill off win 10. I will stay with win7 until 2020 an then, if I live that long, I will probably need a new computer and will deal with that, then.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand some of the alarm and concern but if you have Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 10 is nothing but improvement. The "spyware" parts have been there for a LONG time, and can still be shut off.

Computers really are nothing more than household appliances now. Their cool, mystic of yesteryear, is history. Things are changing. I would equate some of the complaints to whining about having to use unleaded gas.

As for the future, it may become payware but there will always be alternatives. I for one am embracing it. I have to at work as most new hardware is not backward compatible anyhow.

Might's well get it while it's still free. At this point, if you have your Win 7/8 product code, you can always go back. And Windows 10 will still be free if you choose to install it again later.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MNtundraRet wrote:
ccxnola wrote:
In Win 8.1 that I use, every so often there is a pop-up to advise that important system updates are available - and I usually go ahead and do the updates. But once, I noticed that Win 10 was loading!! I aborted the update and started tracking to find out why. '
Lo and behold, all of the 'important' updates were for my Win 8.1 - BUT on a different pages are the 'optional' updates and there was WIN 10 - checked and ready to load. So now, every time I get ready to accept updates to Win 8.1, I go to the 'optional' page and uncheck the WIN 10 load.
Just one more MS PITA!!!

I allow only notification of updates. Today a new notice was on the computer for Windows10 installation.

As you mentioned, I too just un-clicked the box for W10. I also right clicked W10 which allows "Hiding" the update. My Asus gaming computer has the second version of i7 CPU and will fail installation of W10 because of age and need of unavailable files from Asus.

I went through trying update twice, and not worth the hassle to fail and revert again.

Folks in another thread think I am nuts by calling Win10 Malware, but really, it is..

Folks in another thread also think I am nuts by DISABLING AUTOMATIC UPDATES AND MANUALLY GOING TO MS UPDATES AND CHOOSING ONE AT A TIME.. But in reality it IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE IF YOU DO NOT "WANT" WIN10..

MS really needs to be taken to task with this greatest hijack of the worlds computers.

Win10 is no real "improvement", there is nothing for you the owner to gain other than trying to figure out how to fix a botched forced update..

Folks who blindly accept Win10, what are you going to do once all the worlds computers are forced to Win10?

It will most likely become "payware" and you will be forever in debt to MS if you want your data..

How much is your PC worth per year? $100, $200, $300?? Multiply that times 10, 20, 30 yrs per PC, yeah, MS has stumbled upon a gold mine, perpetual payments until you die..

They no longer are satisfied with a person buying their OS for $150 and using for 10, 20 yrs or longer..

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
ccxnola wrote:
Just one more MS PITA!!!

I allow only notification of updates. Today a new notice was on the computer for Windows10 installation.

As you mentioned, I too just un-clicked the box for W10. I also right clicked W10 which allows "Hiding" the update. My Asus gaming computer has the second version of i7 CPU and will fail installation of W10 because of age and need of unavailable files from Asus.

I went through trying update twice, and not worth the hassle to fail and revert again.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently switched to Mac and am a very happy camper!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more MS PITA!!!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
MS reportedly installing Windows 10 without consent - AGAIN.

The MS we know and love - NOT

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like your suggestion is going to work great.

I did update Flash Player and I think "SystemHealer" down loaded with it.

Thanks again for your help.

System Healer is not part of Windows 10. It can be considered a PUP, potentially unwanted program, a form of malware.

It most likely was included with another program you recently installed? Here are some instructions for removing it: How to remove System Healer, though I would skip HitmanPro as unnecessary.