cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

20 lb propane tanks

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that some of the new model trailers are coming with 20 lb propane tanks like the ones they sell at Walmart and other retailers. I can see the convenience of that. Anyone change their tanks to accommodate them instead of the standard 30 pounders?
40 REPLIES 40

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If we are talking 1 fill per year, it's not earth shattering to pay a small premium for convenience.

If you are going thru 10-15 per year, the cost savings starts to matter.

Paying 3x times as much for propane just because it's an exchange tank filled to only 75% capacity is a "small" premium?!! :h Good grief, if I'm going to pay that much for the "convenience" then I might as well buy very convenient 16.4 oz canisters instead ... and I do, as I always carry a couple as spares to back up the 5 lb tank I use to run my Weber Q120 and to feed my stand alone Coleman 2-burner stove which will run "forever" on just one canister. Now that's "convenience" that's worth paying for ... but paying 3x as much for propane just because it's an exchange tank as mits22 was referring to in his post makes no sense whatsoever regardless of whether it's just once a season or 10 - 15 times a season. May not be earth shattering but it sure is dumb. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If we are talking 1 fill per year, it's not earth shattering to pay a small premium for convenience.

If you are going thru 10-15 per year, the cost savings starts to matter.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I see that more 5ers are starting to go with three 20's rather than the two 30's. We were in Hemet Ca the past three months and there was one gas station selling propane for 89 cents a gallon. Needless to say, they had one guy filling tanks almost full time. Ran the water heater and fridge on propane the whole time we were there,
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper came with 16 pound horizontal tanks. After having been charged many times to fill a 20 lb and having spent a night on almost no propane in a Walmart with 20lb exchange tanks, I converted to 20lb tanks.

Now, in a pinch I swap a tank, or fill if it's cheaper.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
Of course, there is the convenience aspect of exchanges, which makes paying $20 for less fuel worth it.

$20?!!! ... in US$ ?!!!! Holy Smokes ... here in Ontario I get my tanks filled at our local Costco - currently $9.99 Cdn ($7.88 US at current exchange rates) for a full 20 lb fill. Tanks are filled by weight and those fills are charged not by what actually may go into the tank but by weight category - i.e. 5 lb fill, 10 lb fill, 20 lb fill, 30 lb fill, etc. If I show up with a 20 lb tank that still has some gas left in it I still pay for a 20 lb fill so obviously I get the best deal if I show up with totally empty tanks. But paying $20 US for a partial fill just for the "convenience"?!! Yikes!! :E

The exchange near where I live is 19.99 and a 4.7 gal fill at $2.50 a gal come in at $11.75, but at 3.6 gal is $9.00, if you want to pay $5.00 a gallon for propane so be it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Of course, there is the convenience aspect of exchanges, which makes paying $20 for less fuel worth it.

$20?!!! ... in US$ ?!!!! Holy Smokes ... here in Ontario I get my tanks filled at our local Costco - currently $9.99 Cdn ($7.88 US at current exchange rates) for a full 20 lb fill. Tanks are filled by weight and those fills are charged not by what actually may go into the tank but by weight category - i.e. 5 lb fill, 10 lb fill, 20 lb fill, 30 lb fill, etc. If I show up with a 20 lb tank that still has some gas left in it I still pay for a 20 lb fill so obviously I get the best deal if I show up with totally empty tanks. But paying $20 US for a partial fill just for the "convenience"?!! Yikes!! :E

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The guy that fills mine. Weighs it before he fills it. then fills it to the point the gas comes out of the over flow valve, and weighs it again, and charges me for the difference.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yea lets all do the exchange to get 15 lbs. of propane for 20% more money.
Nope, I will stick with 30 lb. tanks filled with 30 lbs. propane from a propane dealer.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The reason why 20# containers (cylinders which actually have more than that, but are rated for 20#s) hold 16# is because a propane exchange place only has to use 3.6 gallons to fill up a 4.7 gallon tank... 75% of the fuel for 100% of the profit.

The tank is rated at 20#, which means that it isn't unsafe to fill it with 4.7 gallons of fuel. In theory, 4.69 gallons of fuel, because after 4.7, the OPD should cut in and stop the filling.

Of course, there is the convenience aspect of exchanges, which makes paying $20 for less fuel worth it. If I want a tank filled, it is a drive out of Austin to a RV park, RV dealer, or a propane place in one of the smaller towns.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
As for the 20's....the fed regulation says no more then 17 lbs in them now because of issues with the OPD floats. That's why the exchanges have gone to 15 lbs. There is no lower fill requirement on the 30's. This per 2 LP dealers and my county health dept that does weights and measures

vic46 wrote:
Are you saying that the 80% fill limit is not mandatory on 30# tanks?

A 30 lb tank when filled to 80% capacity will contain 30 lbs of LPG. Check the collar on any 30 lb tank and it will have a WC (Water Capacity) rating of ~ 71.3 ... 71.3 x .42 = 29.946 lbs. This has nothing to do with OPD valves which have been mandated since the late 90s ... wherever spadoctor is getting his info it's incorrect.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
LP portable tanks are VISUALLY recertified for 5 years at propane dealers. My guy does it for free when refilling. They use 20 lb tanks for cost savings since they offer an upgrade to 30 lb. As for the 20's....the fed regulation says no more then 17 lbs in them now because of issues with the OPD floats. That's why the exchanges have gone to 15 lbs. There is no lower fill requirement on the 30's. This per 2 LP dealers and my county health dept that does weights and measures

Are you saying that the 80% fill limit is not mandatory on 30# tanks?
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has 2x20 and I'm glad. So easy to just swap them out just about anywhere instead of having to search for a place that fills tanks.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
20# tanks used to be the standard. But now I am showing my age.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Just had one of my 30lb cylinders re-certified at a propane company office. The cost was $10 and apparently good for 5 more years. I plan on the re-certification process until the gov't tells me otherwise.

The 20lb exchange program is much more expensive then having the cylinders refilled, and the only time I exchanged was to get a tank that was already (re)certified.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
I noticed that some of the new model trailers are coming with 20 lb propane tanks like the ones they sell at Walmart and other retailers. I can see the convenience of that. Anyone change their tanks to accommodate them instead of the standard 30 pounders?

Our previous KZ Spree came with twin 30 lb tanks and I never gave it much thought, other than after filling I had to lift the stupid things into position on the trailer. :E Our current Freedom Express came with twin 20 lb tanks and I find them much easier to lift into position. We camp from April to Nov and because I keep the trailer here at the house I use it often including the furnace yet find I usually only have to refill one of the 20 pounders once during the season. With 30 pounders I could avoid filling during the season entirely but on the weight argument alone I'd far rather stick with the 20 pounders I now have. :B

Regarding filling by weight I see the old wives tale about the "80% rule" still abounds ... BUT the reality is a "20 lb" propane tank does contain 20 lbs of liquid propane gas when filled to 80% capacity. On the tank collar is the tank's WC (Water Capacity) rating ... multiply WC by .42 and you'll have the tank's propane capacity as measured in pounds. For example, one of my 20 lb tanks has a WC of 47.6 ... multiply times .42 and we have 19.992 lbs. Also on the tank's collar is it's tare weight (TW) or empty weight ... mine is 18 lbs so when that tank has been properly filled to 80% capacity with 20 lbs of liquid propane gas it should weigh 20 + 18 = 38 lbs. I had this tank filled just last week and indeed it weighed right around 38 lbs. Here are details on filling by weight, including a simple cylinder filling chart.