cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using Campfire in a Can - Facts & Opinions from users

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at the propane Campfire in a Can product to purchase. Got a few Amazon Gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Wife doesn't really care for the real wood fires with everything smelling like smoke. We are not on the road often yet but both of us like the thought of the the fire and heat with no wood.

Anyone using the product that likes it, doesn't like it??

Would value any real world opinions on it.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad
29 REPLIES 29

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Dannyabear1 wrote:
Wood campfires do not have to smoke. Get a drum out of an old washing machine, cut off the tube in the middle of it. Put it on 3 brickd to keep it off of the ground. You won't believe the fire and heat it will produce because of the airflow the hundreds of holes provide. It may smoke until the wood gets going then it goes straight up because of the air drafting. Most fires smoke because they are built on the ground or trying to burn wet wood.

We were just over at our friends house (Florida) and an evening. It was cool outside, around 60, so they asked if we wanted to sit around a fire. He had just completed his "washer tub" campfire pit. He found a old washing machine that had a stainless steel drum. He took the drum out and mounted it on three stainless legs he fabricated. It gave off great heat!

It would be extremely hard to actually haul it around to camp though. Pretty large.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I used my Campfire in a can at a big dog show in Palm Springs. Had 8 poeple sitting around it. It put out enough heat to kill the chill and everybody was impressed with how nice it worked, no smoke so 360 deg usable seating. It will not put out the vast heat of the wash tub and wood, but it is cleaner and easier to put away. You can use it on a plastic matt or carpet. If it gets too cold for it I'll just go inside and sit in front of the electric fireplace and watch a movie.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Campfire in a Can is having a kickstarter campaign for a new product. The original didn't call my name, but I'm considering this convertible propane/charcoal/wood version. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kickstarter: Campfire in a Can 2-in-1 Campfire

(Not sure if links like this are allowed - I would assume so? But, I'm not affiliated with CiaC; I just googled it based on this thread and am a kickstarter junkie and noticed the link.)
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours all the time. So many parks do not allow fires these days. But most allow the propane ones.

Our biggest dilemma is weather to leave it in the MH. our bring it into our semi inclosed porch to enjoy.

Fire as mentioned in a wash machine tub is the very best when fires are allowed.

Pogoil.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a fire dancer. Look good when they are sitting there not being used. Fire in an a can just looks like..a......a can sitting there.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
We use Little Red when/where wood campfires are prohibited or wood is hard to find. Last time was 3 nights in Death Valley. 4 of us were huddled around that thing in sub-freezing temps and it was a life-saver. We ran it on a 10-lb tank and it lasted the whole time, but it was turned down pretty low the first 2 nights because we were concerned about running out of propane. The last night we turned it up high and were unable to drain the tank. Above a certain level it starts to make more noise, but we tend to keep it just below that level. A wood fire is a LOT hotter, but when this is our only choice it's far better than nothing.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Wood campfires do not have to smoke. Get a drum out of an old washing machine, cut off the tube in the middle of it. Put it on 3 brickd to keep it off of the ground. You won't believe the fire and heat it will produce because of the airflow the hundreds of holes provide. It may smoke until the wood gets going then it goes straight up because of the air drafting. Most fires smoke because they are built on the ground or trying to burn wet wood.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I researched quite a few propane pits before buying the one lowes has for $99. It's between the Little red and the campfire in a can as far as size and flame height. From what I could see the camp fire in a can can be really cranked up to bon fire levels if you wanted. I'm not sure how long a tank would last at those levels.

We use both the propane pit and wood fires if allowed. The pit is nice not just when fire bans are on but also that first night before I have wood or any night we don't want to have to be out there half the night. It is less heat but once the light drops all you see is the flames and you can't tell it from real.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends have one and I thought it was kind of useless until they brought it out one night. It's great for ambiance and provides just enough heat for 2-4 people as long as the weather isn't really cold.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We have the propane "Little Red Campfire" and we packed it around for about five years and used it maybe twice. We don't bring it along anymore as it was just taking up space. Just didn't put out enough heat.

We do use it at home when the grandkids want to make smores.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar unit, we like it. Pros: instant on and off, no smoke, some heat, much easier then toting wood. Cons: smell gas till it heats up, not nearly the heat of a wood fire. The ambiance is okay but not near that of a wood fire.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for the replies.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, bought it 2009 from the folks in Q who invented & manufactured the system. Immediately got rid of the fake logs and bed material and put glass beads in the can. Works great and provides plenty of heat.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 'Little Red Campfire' and like it. Similar to 'Campfire in a Can' but a lot less $$.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I met the inventer in Quartzsite. Nice couple.

We ended up buying two of the original non-propane models from them. Very well built and pricey. 10 plus years later they still look new. We use one in the RV and one at home. We use wood or duraflame logs.

I know you asked about propane models, I've seen them in use in the campgrounds we stayed in. I've talked with a couple of folks and each indicate they were happy with it.

They are well built, work well and worth the money.