cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are CB radios still used?

moparcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought my new motorhome (1994 Newmar). It has a factory CB radio in it. Was rather surprised, as CBs had long since faded away. However, in looking, I see that CBs are still options in even brand new motorhomes.

Are people still using these? I haven't used one in years.
1994 Newmar Kountry Star 34'
113 REPLIES 113

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez...you'd think person on the other end of a CB radio has the answer to the meaning of life.

Like anything, having more than one source for communication and information is key. The more options you have, the more prepared you are for any situation that may arise.

To imply that a cell phone can't tell you where to get a good cup of coffee totally ignores social media like Yelp, where people post reviews that you can access on a cell phone, for literally every type of establishment all across the country.

Sure, it's great to talk to a real live person, rather than looking at a darned Smartphone all the time.

But I don't think some folks realize the breadth of data you can access with a Smartphone, either.

Yes, there ARE apps that tell you where speed traps are.

And the apps that monitor traffic - many use real-time data that's updated by tracking the volume of cell phones as they handoff from tower to tower.

Technology is a cool thing.
But it should ADD to the breadth of information we have, not REPLACE any particular part of it.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a recommendation for CB antenna's? I have the radio and wish to mount it in my F-250. Is there a good magnetic base whip that would work?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
When DW and I were first married (wow) I had a CB in my car. Used it when on trips for traffic updates from 18 wheelers. My handle was "Cotton Top" as my car was a Buick Wildcat painted a beautiful light blue with the white vinyl top. I still have that CB today in my garage and am thinking about putting it in the MH. My only concern is where to mount the antenna.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got'em but seldom connect them up. Would be useful, if I would many times. I think every compact van owner and p/u towing a flat trailer loaded with whatever ought to have one. Then I could connect mine up directly to the horns. Every time they cut us off or pull other fancy stunts we could wake them up and then instruct them on obtaining rectal cranial inversion therapy...Maybe not. ๐Ÿ™‚

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Hang out on 19
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
What channel is used. I pick nothing up and I am 1 mile from I 70?

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Does the cellphone tell you where to get a good cup of joe, or where the radar is set up. or where there is black ice forming, at 2 in the morning. Can you ask the slow moving truck ahead of you if its clear to come around on a two lane highway? Can you get instant feedback that by pushing one button? Does it come on and alert you that your right brake light is out?
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Now we use walkie talkies when backing into the driveway or campsites - seems that someone is always yelling at me to get off "their" frequency.

If the walkie-talkies you are using are the FRS/GMRS radios, you may be using a GMRS frequency. Some of those frequencies are the input frequencies for repeaters for which you are not licensed (by the FCC) to use.

When programming your FRS/GMRS radio, make sure you are not using a GMRS frequency. The penalties for unlicensed use can be rather severe.

or just fill out the forms to be able to use all of those frequencies. of course figuring out how to fill out those forms is a challenge.
bumpy
Thanks - I'm aware of the channels I'm not supposed to use - can't quote them, but was spelled out in the instructions.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its the Google navigation app, almost any Smartphone will have it. Mine is an LG Optimus from Virgin Mobile.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
When hurricanes or tornadoes knock out tens of thousands of telephones in an area, cell are without service. The only repeaters working are those hardened and operating off generators. Local communication becomes dependent upon direct radio frequencies. The success then depends upon the quality and power of the radio service.

Yep, that is when the CBers and the Amateur Operators come into their own!
As for the phone app, will it tell you when the high wind warning for "high profile" vehicles are in effect between Big Timber and Livingston, MT on I-90? Will your wonderful phone even work on U.S. 2 between East Glacier and West Glacier? Does it know what is happening at the 10,500 foot level on the Beartooth Pass, or is it only attuned to "major" highways? Will it tell you if the Beartooth highway is open, or closed for the winter? Will it tell you if U.S. 191 between Harlowton and Eddies Corner is open or closed due to blowing snow?
Are you willing to bet your life (and the lives of your family) on that magic electronic gadget?
I am not!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
re. the cell phone GPS system. exactly how does it know where a back up is and how quickly does it determine that? I mean somehow this has to be reported doesn't it? surely every mile of highway in the country is not constantly scanned and rescanned to see if traffic is moving or not. when is it determined that there is in fact a back up worthy of reporting it vs. just a momentary glitch.

I sort of question its efficacy.
could you provide the exact name/model of phone and which plan does this as I would be interested in researching it a little bit?
bumpy

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperpaul wrote:
h2guy wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Yes...call up the traffic on my phone's navigation, it will show EXACTLY where the backup is.

Only where those cameras are avail. Not in every city. Probably OK if you are always in the same area.

How well does it work when you are on I-80 near Hastings NE or in the middle of the Mohave Desert?

There are a lot of places where your phone will be useless because you are not in range of a cell site tower.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! For at least the THIRD time: I do not need cell service to use the phone's GPS navigation!
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
h2guy wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Yes...call up the traffic on my phone's navigation, it will show EXACTLY where the backup is.

Only where those cameras are avail. Not in every city. Probably OK if you are always in the same area.

No, wrong! I have used it MANY times in places with no traffic cameras!
Current rig:

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
When hurricanes or tornadoes knock out tens of thousands of telephones in an area, cell are without service. The only repeaters working are those hardened and operating off generators. Local communication becomes dependent upon direct radio frequencies. The success then depends upon the quality and power of the radio service.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
h2guy wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

How well does it work when you are on I-80 near Hastings NE or in the middle of the Mohave Desert?

There are a lot of places where your phone will be useless because you are not in range of a cell site tower.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)