cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are CB radios still used?

moparcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought my new motorhome (1994 Newmar). It has a factory CB radio in it. Was rather surprised, as CBs had long since faded away. However, in looking, I see that CBs are still options in even brand new motorhomes.

Are people still using these? I haven't used one in years.
1994 Newmar Kountry Star 34'
113 REPLIES 113

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
Sheesh, there's some pent-up hostility here :B
I get it, some of you don't like Smartphones and would rather use a CB radio.
And there are actually instances where live two-way comms are better.
Despite what you may think, I haven't disputed that.

I'll start by saying that, in this entire thread, I've advocated multiple means of communication as the best route. I've got a Kenwood 281, in addition to my smartphone.

Obviously a cell phone won't work where there's no signal, no one is disputing that. In those instances, it's time to use another form of communication.

Bumpyroad wrote:

I'm going out on a limb here but I didn't notice you answer the questions/examples that both D&M and Mowermech gave.
how does your magic smartphone work in those examples?
bumpy

mowermech made some valid points.
In desolate areas, you use the comms that are available to you.
No one is disputing this.

And personal communication, like D&M mentions, are obviously best handled with a CB or radio.
No one is disputing this.

But...but...what happens when someone detonates an EMP and kills all the radios?
Better start using smoke signals, because your magic CB isn't going to work, either.

What if there are no truckers around to reply?
Your magic CB isn't going to work, either.

Look, it's easy to chose instances to "prove" one form of communication is better than another, and to come up with scenarios that favor one or the other.

So best to have multiple comms, if you want to be absolutely safe.

camperpaul wrote:

I am going to cut off that limb with a chainsaw!!!

Your "smart-phone" is about as useful as udders on a bull when there is no cell-phone signal.

Granted, the built-in GPS will tell you your location but the only information available from the GPS constellation is the exact time. Your GPS receiver uses this info to calculate your location.

See: How GPS Works

There is no traffic info, weather info, smokey info, etc. available from those satellites.

Thanks for the GPS lesson.
All this time, I thought it was magic...
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
RovingTriker wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

I do have a smart phone. I don't use it while driving. I do have a CB and do not get much talk on it. My interest is in why my CB doesn't pick up truckers blabbering?

IMO, it's worth getting the CB peaked and tuned. I used to live close to a truck stop that did it fairly cheap. After their work was done it was sending and receiving much farther and clearer.

Where in Columbus area is a good place to have it done?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
RovingTriker wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

I do have a smart phone. I don't use it while driving. I do have a CB and do not get much talk on it. My interest is in why my CB doesn't pick up truckers blabbering?

IMO, it's worth getting the CB peaked and tuned. I used to live close to a truck stop that did it fairly cheap. After their work was done it was sending and receiving much farther and clearer.

Thank you

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Where have you motorhome owners been mounting your antennas. I've got a Lexington Class C and will be getting a cb unit. Had them in the past in cars n trucks and antenna mounting was no problem. But what about a class c? Mirror mount mayby?
Grumpy

RovingTriker
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
pronstar wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
How does a cell phone tell you road conditions, speed traps, weather 20 miles away?

My cell phone has apps and makes phone calls I do not know truck drivers cell phone numbers how do I get those truck drivers to tell me the information I am seeking? Is there an accident ahead should I exit and use surface roads?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you don't have a Smartphone.
You don't have to call anyone, there are various apps that have all of this information, super easy to use.

But if you're more comfortable using a CB, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
pronstar wrote:

You don't have to call anyone, there are various apps that have all of this information, super easy to use.

But if you're more comfortable using a CB, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I am going to cut off that limb with a chainsaw!!!

Your "smart-phone" is about as useful as udders on a bull when there is no cell-phone signal.

Granted, the built-in GPS will tell you your location but the only information available from the GPS constellation is the exact time. Your GPS receiver uses this info to calculate your location.

See: How GPS Works

There is no traffic info, weather info, smokey info, etc. available from those satellites.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pronstar wrote:

I'm going out on a limb here but I didn't notice you answer the questions/examples that both D&M and Mowermech gave.
how does your magic smartphone work in those examples?
bumpy

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
How does a cell phone tell you road conditions, speed traps, weather 20 miles away?

My cell phone has apps and makes phone calls I do not know truck drivers cell phone numbers how do I get those truck drivers to tell me the information I am seeking? Is there an accident ahead should I exit and use surface roads?

'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
westend wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for CB antenna's? I have the radio and wish to mount it in my F-250. Is there a good magnetic base whip that would work?

Wal-Mart has them (some of them) in the auto dept. I have a magnetic antenna but no good spot on MH to mount it. Good luck.

I painted white a steel round outlet box cover plate to silicone seal down on the roof of my motorhome to put a magnetic antenna on, but went with a thru the glass antenna instead. they work fine for short distances that I want to talk up and down the road.
bumpy

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for CB antenna's? I have the radio and wish to mount it in my F-250. Is there a good magnetic base whip that would work?

Wal-Mart has them (some of them) in the auto dept. I have a magnetic antenna but no good spot on MH to mount it. Good luck.

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
bound4fl wrote:
Ask the people in Boston have great having a cell phone is after the bombings, when the police shut down the entire system.

You're gonna have a hard time convincing the everyone with a cellphone to carry around backup CB radios :B

(I agree with your post, I'm just being a smart-aleck)
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension

bound4fl
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the people in Boston have great having a cell phone is after the bombings, when the police shut down the entire system. Yes I have a smart phone and it does come in handy, but not everything. Just like having a cab can come in handy as long as someone is around to answer or help you. So having a phone would be good them. Always try to have more than one means of communication available to be on the safe side.

As far as magnetic mount antennas look for the Wilson or k40 brands they are the better ones.
Killin time waitin on tomorrow.