cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back-in from which direction?

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a correct side (driver vs. passenger) from which to back into a camping spot? We went out this weekend and I backed in from my usual side....the driver's side. Saw others enter from the passenger side while others from the driver's. The spots were probably angled less to the passenger side but many would cause you to back up an incline in the road. I didn't notice any correlation between the angles and inclined road, so that didn't seem to make a difference.

Realizing that angle of entry, among other criteria, dictates which side to back toward; are there reasons to choose one side vs. the other?
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
31 REPLIES 31

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Makes no difference to me.

X2
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Good backing starts before you get to the camp spot. As you pull up to the spot you should be looking at the site, looking for hazards and positioning the trailer in the road to prepare for the backing. Getting the positioning down just takes time and practice but before you know it you will be pulling past the site and wagging the tail of the trailer in the right direction to get you started with the backing. With some practice and time you will be able to look at a campsite or gas station and know exactly what you need to do and have your escape routes planned out before you even pull in.

One thing I see when new backers get frustrated and need to pull forward is they slam it in drive and pull up 30+ feet when if they would have looked the situation over all they needed to do is turn the TV tires the right way and pull up a few feet just to get the back of the trailer pointed the right direction.

Spotters are good to have while backing but my standard rule is don't tell me what to do just yell real loud if I'm going to hit anything. I know what I need to do and where I'm going it just might not look like it until I'm done and I don't need someone twirling there finger trying to tell me which way to turn the TV tires or waving their arms telling me which way to move the back of the trailer. And no I don't care if I can see the spotter in the mirror or not because I'm backing the trailer and not watching a spotter. Roll down the windows and turn off the radio so you can hear the spotter.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

blt2ski
I too can back both ways. Also NOT seeing a spotter if you have one, I also stop and make sure I can see them. Usually one of my kids has been a spotter. All wanted to help from about 5-7 onwards. If I can not see them, I do not want to run one of them over.

I backed my dump truck right up to the pintle hitch on my equipment trailer one time. Client saw me do this, about sheet his pants, as he could not do that with a helper with his ski boat and a med sized suv, much less with only the side mirrors and using the outside of the trailer fenders and an 8' wide and 5' tall baox behind the cab!.........

"IF" if have to back into places in the dark alot. If you do not have reverse lights, it is easy to wire up low profile clear fog lights on the rear of the trailer using the middle wire on your trailer plug hooked up to your reverse light. Makes it way better to see behind you!

Never heard of the GOAL terms, I do like tho. I also do this.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
one rule I always have for my spotter(s). I won't back if I can't see them. Don't care if they have a walkie talkie or not, if I can't see them in the mirrors or in front of meI won't back. IMHO not worth the risk if I can't see them in the mirrors.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
!!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I am with the others, driver's side is probably preferable, but circumstances often make the passenger side preferable. Things like curling around a tree, someone parked along the road, the angle of the site and probably a hundred other considerations help make the decision.
One thing that is almost constant, and not understood by many people is you need to get as close to the site as possible before you swing away to begin backing up. This is the exact opposite of what you should do to pull into a site where you should swing out as far away from the site as possible before swinging in.
The other old saw I often quote is: You need to drive more like a truck driver and less like an RV'er. Truckers drive fast on the interstate and back up slowly. RV'ers tend to do the opposite .

You are correct
The reason you swing in close to the site, and than swing away. Is to line up the rear of the TT with the "hole". You swing in to get more room to swing out. You pull past, and away from the site until the trailer best lines up with the hole. Then you turn the TV so that when you start back. It will already be pushing the trailer in the direction you want to go. IF there is room. That works great. IF you get the trailer lined up with the hole. Half the battle is over.

Biggest problem. "Most" CGs don't have the room needed to make the swing in, and then the swing out work properly.

And of course when pulling into a pull thru. You want to be as far away as possible, and almost pass the site to give room for the trailer to follow in. Also has the same room problem.

My Uncle taught me that some 43 years ago. Part of my job at the boat shop was to back the finished boats into the ware house, and then into holding spots along the side. Like the 90% parking spaces in a lot. When I got to use the tractor it was easy, as I could straddle the steering wheel, and see what I was doing better.

and in truth. I can put my TT in a site where I want it better backing, than I can pulling in.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
As stated earlier, Drivers side is preferred,,Passenger side is called "Off Side Backing" I am a truck driving instructor (Class A) and we practice both drivers and off side backing to be proficient.. All of our literature states that Drivers side backing is the safest and preferred because you have better visibility.
With that being said you should be proficient with spacial awareness to be able to back off side. In order to be proficient you need to practice!! Its allot of fun!! Take your trailer, spouse and friends to an open parking lot,,,free of light poles. Borrow or rent 10 or more Four Foot tall delineators. and set up a few camp ground back ins!! Practice drivers side and off side!!
Truck schools spend up to three weeks of closed course driving before they head out on the road!! Parallel parking a tractor trailer is a requirement in most states,,, It is fun to do,, and I have done it only to slip a trailer in between two other parked trailers,, it takes practice,, but is allot of fun to do!! Have fun with your trailer and be proficient at backing!! It makes you a more confident driver and makes the trip allot more fun!!
Do Not Forget,,, Always "GOAL" if you cannot see,, Get Out And Look!!

One of the best posts on backing RVs! And bonus points for how much you say it is fun.

We found several local places to practice on Sundays before our first trips. Having cones, a spotter, and walkie talkies really helped build my confidence. And during GOAL, I'll put cones that I bring along onto key campsite spots to help me get to where I envisioned during my little scouting walk.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
I am with the others, driver's side is probably preferable, but circumstances often make the passenger side preferable. Things like curling around a tree, someone parked along the road, the angle of the site and probably a hundred other considerations help make the decision.
One thing that is almost constant, and not understood by many people is you need to get as close to the site as possible before you swing away to begin backing up. This is the exact opposite of what you should do to pull into a site where you should swing out as far away from the site as possible before swinging in.
The other old saw I often quote is: You need to drive more like a truck driver and less like an RV'er. Truckers drive fast on the interstate and back up slowly. RV'ers tend to do the opposite .

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I much prefer backing in from the driver's side, especially if it's a 90ยฐ corner. I don't do a huge amount of backing, gotta love those pull-throughs :), so I'm not very proficient at passenger side backing. I can do it but prefer driver side.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I get up early on Sunday mornings and drive down to the local large business parking lot (Now very empty).

I got some of those small orange cones that I set up and I practice backing in from both ways. I actually place the cones 2 parking spaces apart. This forces me to maneuver in a tight space.

Nice thing - on Sunday morning, there is no one around to watch me. So no worrying that someone will see me...

I am actually more comfortable backing in on the passengers side. But have gotten pretty good at both.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
It is entirely dependent on the campgrounds road system, angle of camp sites, location of site to road and a bunch of other factors.

In the end that is why we have spouses right?

Proficiency in both directions is what is needed. There are some sites that have taken a few attempts to get the perfect position.

One time another camper came over and thanked me for the show. He was 100% sure there was no way we would have gotten our trailer in between 2 large rocks and 2 trees that were each just over 9' apart on an angle....
Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
Primary tow vehicle 2015 F150 super crew, 5.0 V8.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should always try to back to your drivers side. This is one of the primary things taught when getting a Class A CDL. The other side is known as your BLIND SIDE and for good reason. You should avoid backing to that side. This is simple common sense.

However you should be proficient at both. Just in case. And there are cases where it can't be avoided.

The easiest way to spot an amateur driver/backer is to watch which side they choose to back to and how they "set up".

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In most of the campgrounds I go to, the road is one way, and the campsites can be on both sides of the road. Depending on which site you pick, you may be backing into a site on the driver's side or the passenger side. It pays to become proficient doing both. If you are by yourself, it pays to become proficient in doing it without a spotter.
It just takes practice.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The outside of the turn is always blind, driver's side or passenger side. I can see my trailer wheels in the mirrors for whichever is inside the turn. If given a choice, I prefer to have the inside of the turn the one with objects I want to avoid. But most campgrounds I've stay at have one-way streets and I just deal with whatever challenge is presented. And that's where the recommendation of getting proficient at both is valuable. You rarely get a choice on approach angle/side.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)