cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Toilet odor

jim_behr
Explorer
Explorer
The past month we have experienced a bad oder from the toilet when flushed.We are now parked for 5 months in AZ and it has come back again. I dump and flush when approx half full all the time. I have replaced the vent on top with one of those rotating ones and add deodorizer on a regular basis. That smell always comes back after a couple of days, any ideas on what to use as a deodorizer or what else to do for this problem..
14 REPLIES 14

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If your sure it's from the toilet then go to any RV store and get some toilet chemicals. They work.
All this talk about not needing them is fine until you really do.

MattFromPA
Explorer
Explorer
I determined that my black tank never really fully empties. Our last trip was without a sewer hookup as none were available, so I wasn't able to flush the system at the site. I had to dump at the campground. At home while cleaning I noticed it was still pretty smelly, and a look down the hole confirmed the reason for that. I filled two gallon water jugs and headed to a Pilot and dumped there. Must have been a hang-up, as the extra dump seemed to help. In the future I will always load some water jugs first if I need to dump and won't hooked to sewer.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you have any sinks, showers, washing machine drain, etc that you do not use, make sure the p-traps have water in them.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jim behr wrote:
The past month we have experienced a bad oder from the toilet when flushed...

Is it only when flushing? If so, nothing is wrong, __it stinks. When you flush the toilet, it is open all the way to the tank. There is no trap like in a house toilet.

Make sure you aren't running an exhaust fan when flushing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Also your vent pipe could be blocked. Run a hose down through the vent pipe from the roof with water running. If that's it the smell will go away.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go with gray water tank if everything is normal. Grease and other things like to stay in the tank and rot, if not flushed adequately and even then.
You're not leaving power vents open, I assume.
We use chemicals to control possibility of stink.
When parked, we sometimes leave the gray water open when washing clothes and there can be quite a bit ,of pressure back up into tanks, we've discovered, in some RV Parks. The ones that don't have field lines septic systems, just tanks, that have to be pumped usually. Our gray water smells like like liquid/gel bath soap and shampoo or laundry soap/bleach. Most of the time, after washing clothes and any time we leave the coach we close the tank valve, not only scents but critters like slugs, we discovered in Mississippi.
Put detergent and water softener into the tanks, partially full. Next trip down the road should/may clear out any deposits when you drain and flush the tanks if that is the problem.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any fan running? Whenever we have one running, whether it's from the A/C or the ceiling exhaust fan....there is terrible odor when flushing.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Check the batteries for proper water/electrolyte level. People have been fooled by the nasty smell of low water in the batteries.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably the grey tank - replace the air admittance valves. We had to and the odors all disappeared. They do wear out.

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest filling the tank full via normal usage...maybe use more water than usual. Then dump, repeat and see if smell persists. Maybe something got hung up and is above the water line.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Hot weather make the black tank smell more and it will be much better as the days get cooler. I have seen this for several years sitting in Casa Grande az.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jim behr wrote:
. . . any ideas on what to use as a deodorizer or what else to do for this problem..

Bleach
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The smell may not be coming from your Black tank,it may be the gray tank. As mine was.

I would check and replace the air admittance valves
located near your sinks,they are cheap and can be found at most big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes as well as smaller hardware stores.

If they fail they will let the smell from the grey tanks in and believe me they can smell just as bad as the black tank if not worse.

Changed mine out and the smell was gone!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
You probably need to dump the tank and clean it good with backflush or some other method. You should not have any odors, and deodorizers should not be necessary, just water, and lots of it, with each flush. Good luck.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."