cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bark, bark, bark continuously!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I am a dog owner, have worked with dogs for years, play with dogs and love dogs.

Currently in an Elite RV resort in central FL with about 300 sites half of which are privately owned and the remainder are rentals. This place is clean except for the sites with oak trees and the park is dog friendly.

Our neighbors are often gone for the day or evening and leave their dog in RV while away. As soon as they leave their dog starts barking and does not stop until they return. The dog barks enough to cause his bark to become hoarse and labored sounding.

My question is: "When is the appropriate time to complain to the office and what kind of response should one expect to receive"?

Lakeside
102 REPLIES 102

moll672
Explorer
Explorer
Chopping wood at 0130hrs. What's the point of saying anything anyway as they obviously don't care. Seagulls walking on roof as soon as it is light. Cant do much as they don't understand. Sort of got even by refusing to give them scraps which probably was why they were there anyway. Dogs outside campground barking all night. Came home and sold hybrid bought TT. That fixed that problem. Other than that RVing is going very well. Have adopted the philosophy of "leave the site better than I found it"
2014 Silverado 5.3 Crew Cab
2004 KZ Sportsmen 2253 5th wheel

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We were at a park in Berlin, OH. We went off for the day, but I had a headache so we went back to the camper for me to lay down. People on both sides of us had left their dogs when they went off and for hours the dogs barked at each other. Finally I went to the office to report the nuisance. Before I walked back to the camper the office workers were at the RVs where the dogs were barking. Luckily one owner had came back but were getting ready to leave again. They were mad because the park was making them take the dog with them. You should have heard them telling the dog that it was not its fault. I totally agreed, it was the owners fault that they did not concern them with the RVers that had to listen to their dog that does not bark, barking.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are responsible dog owners (small dogs). We do NOT associate with non-responsible dog owners. We're kinda snobbish about it. Therefore, we don't hesitate to report nuisance dogs.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
If you're close enough to hear dogs bark from inside the rv you're too damn lose to my bus.

And there is the problem. Dog owners that do not care about anyone but them selves.

You are 100% correct. Well said!

Lakeside

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
If you're close enough to hear dogs bark from inside the rv you're too damn lose to my bus.

And there is the problem. Dog owners that do not care about anyone but them selves.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Turn your hearing aids down. 100 feet WOW you must have rabbit ears.

coolmom42 wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

I've heard dogs barking from 100 feet away. Dogs are LOUD. Especially if there is more than 1.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:

I've heard dogs barking from 100 feet away. Dogs are LOUD. Especially if there is more than 1.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Exactly. You need to move that bus so that we don't hear it. Go park your bus where we won't hear the dog barking.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Pa. at state parks and coe parks, the rules are do not leave pets unattended at your site or camping unit and must be on leash under 6 feet in length.A private campground that I've been going to for over 14 years(no more) in the Adirondacks had same rules but wouldn't enforce even after two dogs running loose attacked my dog while I was walking him.Other people would put their pets in rv and go to water park all day long while dog barked all day. A big part of problem is campgrounds will not enforce their own rules.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
My question is: "When is the appropriate time to complain to the office and what kind of response should one expect to receive"? Lakeside

Rather than post my personal experiences, I will try to answer your questions.

When is it appropriate to complain to the office?

IMHO: Anytime the barking occurs during quiet hours. During the day anytime the barking occurs for more than one hour, two days or more.

What kind of response should one expect?

IMHO: Management will make arrangements to abate the problem. OR Offer me a different campsite away from the dogs.

Any less would result in a poor review at RV reviews.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Another dog owner here. I guess I'm going to be in the minority here. I would prefer that they neighbor contact the campground immediately if they hear my dogs barking incessantly and request that they contact me on the number registered in their records to make me aware that there may be a problem with my pets.

I know my dogs very well. My Bulldog, I've had since she was 7 weeks old, and we didn't know she COULD bark until she was 3 months old. Now, she barks VERY rarely. I have another mixed breed, and if you walk too close by, or if she sees another dog (she doesn't particularly like other dogs), she will bark a little and settle back down. That's why we leave the radio or TV on for some background noise and close the blinds when we are gone somewhere we can't take them too. If they are barking constantly for a long period of time, there is something that desperately needs attention, and I need to be notified.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least you got permission. That guy was a jerk. He should have just made a complaint at the office. Pounding on your trailer was out of line and so was letting his Harley run so long.

I have a dog so I pay attention to the written rules. Not only do they forbid leaving your pets unattended but they require them to be on a leash, you have to pick up after them and no barking. Some RV parks are restricting certain dog breeds like Pit Bulls and Dobermans.... Without a written dog policy they are leaving themselves open for a lawsuit which is why most RV parks have them.

Typical Policy
"PETS: Pets are a privilege. Your petโ€™s mess is your mess, so please clean up immediately. Dogs and cats must be on a leash at all times while outside your RV. Never leave your pet unattended. Vicious or loud pets will not be allowed. No dog houses allowed. 2 dog maximum. ALL PETS MUST BE REGISTERED WITH OUR OFFICE".
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
1L243 wrote:
I think every RV park or campground I have stayed at has a rule about NOT leaving dogs alone in a RV when gone...

I do not recall any park I stayed at had such a rule. Just a generic no barking policy.

We stayed at an Oregon park once near Bandon. We specifically asked if we could leave the dogs unattended and the management said yes as long as they do not bark.

Well, they generally don't. We close the shades, turn the radio down low, and they usually curl up and go to sleep. So we went into town to shop.

Just as we were finishing the shopping the cell phone rang. It was the park manager calling us, to come back and take care of the barking dogs. A neighbor had complained.

So we returned as fast as we could, and found the dogs sleeping as usual. We only had had one neighbor, so I asked him and he scowled and scolded me for the dogs. I apologized and left it at that. Meanwhile DW took the dogs for a long walk to try and tire them out more.

The next morning at 5:00 the same neighbor fired up his Harley and let it idle for a solid hour before he hopped on and rode off to wherever he was going. People familiar with motorcycles in general and Harleys in particular know there are two ways to use the throttle and gears -- one reduces the noise and the other maximizes it. He intentionally chose the latter -- at 6:00 AM.

He eventually returned that afternoon, hooked up his TT, and left. As soon as he left another camper came by to talk to me. He told me the neighbor was a grumpy complainer that yelled at kids riding their bikes and the horseshoe pit was making too much clanging noise. He then told me he watched the neighbor go to the side of my rig when we were gone and hit it several times making the dogs bark. They quieted down again in a few minutes and he returned to my rig and hit it again and again several times until he went to complain to the park manager about my dogs.

Instead of getting angry I laughed. I was on vacation and I refuse to let a jerk ruin my trip.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~