cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Privacy

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Well, sure enough it happened. The wife opened the door while my son's friend was in the bathroom doing some paperwork. Just a quick "ahh!" and then nothing so not a big deal. Nothing seen or anything. ๐Ÿ™‚

But our bathroom door has no lock. I don't want a regular door knob lock because sure enough, somebody will accidentally lock the door when they walk out. I don't want one of those locks where a bolt slides into the door frame because I don't want to drill a large hole in the camper if I can help it.

Anybody else been in this situation and come up with a good idea? It doesn't have to be a big security thing. Just something to keep someone from opening the door while I'm in there pondering world peace or something like that.
31 REPLIES 31

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I special-ordered a floorplan which has three(3) doors that secure the potty. One pocket door from the front going into the bathroom, another pocket door from the bedroom to the bathroom, and one conventional door from the bathroom to the potty closet. It has other features which we like as well, and all of them have worked out perfectly, for us.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig came with a door set with a lever on both sides. It's lockable from inside but you cannot open it from inside if locked. All the other ideas about knocking and signs are cool but this is simple and fool proof unless...
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
They sell privacy latch sets that when locked and then close the door they will automatically unlock.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you looked at what they have at AMAZON
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Except while under way, we leave the door ajar when the bathroom is unoccupied or when there is no privacy issue. Our lever handle does have a lock, but it only requires a coin or similar item in a slot to unlock it from the outside.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
We just knock if the door is closed

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an inexpensive privacy lock. The lock knob turns to lock. The key (Screwdriver)is kept above the door between the wall and the ceiling. It has been there since 2005, I have never had to use it yet even with grandchildren. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of a river raft trip where the outhouses were 3sided, we used an oar as the symbol the place was occupied. Only thing was when you grabbed the oar everyone knew the chore at hand. We've always had the rule if the door is shut, knock first.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a small hook latch.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
OkSixpack wrote:
Most of the knobs with a push button for locking come with a little tool to unlock it from the outside with.

I thought all bathroom door locks sold these days offered this feature as a safety, I know those I installed on the bathroom doors in our stick house do. To the OP - if your bathroom door doesn't have this then just install a lock that does, this being an example.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
The locking bathroom door our our former Class C failed, with my 3-yr old granddaughter inside. There was no way to unlock it from the outside; and of course the screws to disassemble the lock were on the inside. Finally, found a small pry bar and was able to move the wall enough that the lock was sidepassed. Fortunately, my granddaughter remained calm through the whole process ๐Ÿ™‚

I replaced it with a non-locking knob, and put a "knock first" sign on the door.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Uhhh . . . . maybe knock first if the door is closed? :@

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the knobs with a push button for locking come with a little tool to unlock it from the outside with. It's basically just a little rod. They are inexpensive and easy to find.
Jim

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
How bout a simple 'do not disturb' sign from a hotel sort of thing?
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
A small occupied sign on a chain.

One side says "occupied" the other says "available."

Turn the appropriate side outward.

We leave the door open in our camper. The door closed means "occupied."
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006