cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best GPS?

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks. We just drove the truck from North Idaho to Florida and back. We helped family repair storm damage, eat fried chicken, and went to the Cape for the Falcon Heavy launch. The final evening meal was shrimp, wrapped with bacon, dipped in butter. Huh? Huh? I still lost over 5 pounds.
We have/had an old Garmin GPS that went crazy as we entered Georgia. It finally was removed from service and thrown away. Now, we're shopping a new GPS to use with the truck/fifth wheel combination.
My question is; what is the "best" GPS? After reading the online comments, there are lots to be desired with what is on the market.
45 REPLIES 45

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you what the worst one is. The one that came built in my 2015 Chevy Silverado. Itโ€™s so bad itโ€™s a joke now.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I like having a GPS I can just leave in the truck. My cell phone stays in my pocket or in the cup holder.

For my tow vehicle that's a Garmin 760 I bought at deep discount on a black friday sale (it was discontinued, replaced by the 770). The voice recognition on the 760 works SO MUCH better than Google, and doesn't need a cell connection to work.

For my daily driver, that occasionally goes on long trips, it's a 12 year old Garmin Nuvi.

Both have lifetime maps and traffic. The few times I've run into traffic neither the Garmin nor the all mighty "WAZE" could do anything about it, as there was no way to access an exit, or the side roads were just as clogged as the highway.

I don't vacation in cities or urban areas, so crowd sources traffic is of little use. While traveling to a destination, an accident or traffic jam in the middle of nowhere, there's not many options. I'm glad I have a kitchen and bathroom hitched up behind me.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
...My question is; what is the "best" GPS? After reading the online comments, there are lots to be desired with what is on the market.

Define "best". It all depends on what features you value.

I recently got a Garmin DriveAssist because it has a built in dash cam together with voice activation, lane departure warning,forward collision warning, and a lot of other features.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Osmand looks interesting. What are the pros/cons vs Garmin?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
Two things to consider on smartphone/iPhone apps.

1. If you lost cell phone signal you do not have real time data.

2. When using map apps, unless you have a unlimited data plan, you are being charged for data usage.

I have been told you can download the route, but I prefer a Garmin 760LMT

I have been in the Texas hill country for a week - no Verizon cell service - my Garmin 660 RV GPS works great - headed to Big Bend National Park next no cell there either for two weeks except in spots

If you get off the beaten path cell apps are not the answer
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
I use a cell phone app called waze. It is a gps but it also is crowd sourced for traffic. The more users in an area the better it is at detecting traffic issues. The few times I thought I was smarter than it I was stuck in traffic. It works great around populated areas but out in the country where there are fewer people updating it, it may not be so good at traffic. At one time it would only route if the destination was under a thousand miles don't know if that has changed or not. I still use it for my local area even if I know a route just in case traffic backs up.

I also still keep an atlas in the vehicle as well. I like maps.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d take a look at the Garmin RV 770. Nice big screen, plenty of features, and you can update it over WiFi... No computer required. I donโ€™t trust Google maps as the last time I tried, it still didnโ€™t find my house.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
You can find a good used Garmin StreetPilot 2720 on eBay for less than $50.00. People are selling them cheap as they replace them with smartphones.

The problem with the SP2720 is that you cannot load the complete North America map set because there is not enough storage space. I load the 80% of the map set that I am going to be traveling in. I use BaseCamp to plan the trip and then load the planned trip to the SP2720
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
Osmand as well as some other Android GPS apps do not need a cell signal to work. Once you download the maps they reside on your phone. You can plan routes, save them, edit them, get turn by turn voice directions, embed pics, videos, voice messages, etc.. All free. Plus you can choose whatever size phone or tablet screen you prefer. My whole setup cost less than $90, way cheaper than a new GPS.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TomTom which is next to worthless, but it keeps the DW happy as she can see how fast I'm driving.

On my side I use an Android tablet running Co-Pilot RV. Set your vehicle dimensions and it will pick routes based on that. I also run Waze for traffic alerts.

I consider these tactical tools for changes in route underway. The strategic planning takes place with Google Maps, Google Earth and the mountain guide.

I turn on terrain in maps and Google Earth has a route elevation profile feature that I use in the hills.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Two things to consider on smartphone/iPhone apps.

1. If you lost cell phone signal you do not have real time data.

2. When using map apps, unless you have a unlimited data plan, you are being charged for data usage.

I have been told you can download the route, but I prefer a Garmin 760LMT
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion is that a dedicated vehicle GPS is much better than a phone. I'll use my phone when I need to, but the dedicated unit provides much more. Pictures of complicated exits and indications of which lane you need to be in before you get there are a big deal to me.

I've been helping a Luddite friend's wife learn their Garmin RV 760LMT. It has the typical weight and height information for an RV unit, but one thing that has sold me on it is the ability to plan a route and then upload it to the unit for use on the road. I can see that being a big advantage when you want to apply some brain power to choosing the best route and still have the GPS give you turn by turn guidance.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
My Nuvi died last year and I replaced it with a 10 inch Android tablet and Osmand GPS app. Way better than the Nuvi ever was.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We have an old nuvi but when it dies, it's the cell phone that will take over. Just doesn't make sense to carry and update a uni-tasker when the cell will work just as well and automatically updates the maps.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
My old boss uses a truck one that gives bridge heights and such.. Lifetime maps etc.

If I was higher then 10 ft 7" I would get one..

The cell phone apps lead me on too many wrong paths.. especially the i phone one.. Google is better but nothing beats a device thats made just for roads...

I only owned garmins.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/dezl/
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh