cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best places to camp in Vermont and New Hamphire

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
DD, DSIL & family will be traveling through Maine (Acadia Nat'l Park) Vermont (Montpelier area0 and New Hampshire (Meredith area). Is there a website any of you have used to look up campgrounds, or do any of you have suggestions for campgrounds that you have liked. They would like electric but can do w/out full hook-ups.

Thanks for any help.
15 REPLIES 15

reader2
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from out trip...Harbor Hills in New Hampshire was wonderful...even called and offered to have someone assist us in getting backed in! It was also within easy driving distance of some hiking, caves, and of course, the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Hadley's Point in Maine was a bit too cozy for my preferences when one is going to be around the camper a lot. But this is Maine...we spend most of our time in Acadia hiking or Bar Harborso it, and the free shuttle bus worked great for us. The Lazy Lions has become a new favorite...only problem is the distance (don't think a place that's 12 hours away will work for weekend trips)! I would recomend site one as the perfect site. it was huge! There are bike trails, Rock of Ages (which we discovered has an outdoor granite bowling lane that can be used even after the visitors center is closed...), some sugar houses (had to get our Vermont Maple Syrup), and Ben & Jerry's all within easy driving distance of the campground.

We had a wonderful trip. Now, we just need to figur out where we are headed next summer!
2012 Zinger ZT26BL

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
Never been there, but this is about as close to Montpelier as you can get. It seems to get decent reviews. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Vermont/Williamstown.html What route are you planning to take? Might have some other suggestions. Lived in VT for 40 years.

Limehurst and Lazy Lions are only about 3 miles from my house. I have stayed at Limehurst before (actually have a spot this weekend for our new camper shakedown) and its a nice little campground with friendly owners. Keep in mind that the "lake" is pretty small, but still decent for swimming or relaxing by. Lazy Lions is kind of tucked away in some woods, not near much of anything except the Rock of Ages quarry. I know people that have stayed there and like it.

If you are traveling on rte 302 from Maine, you will be passing through Groton. The state campground of Stillwater is a decent, no frills CG, but Groton lake is quite beautiful.

Another option would be to take a short trip from Montpelier (35 minutes or so) up to Burlington and camp on Lake Champlain. There are a bunch of decent CGs and a lot to see and do around the Burlington area.

If you have any other q's PM me and I will try and help.

Jon
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

reader2
Explorer
Explorer
DH made our reservations this morning...went with Hadley's Point for Maine, Lazy Lions for Vermont (had to get full hook up for that one as it was all that was left...I may end up needing spoiled more when we leave there), and Harbor Hills for New Hampshire. Now it's my turn to start planing meals, cloths and various toys to keep two kids happy for the long rides there...DH has a list of things he wants to see and do in the areas around the three camping locations! Cannot wait to go!
2012 Zinger ZT26BL

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
super_camper wrote:
Reader1 wrote:
DD, DSIL & family will be traveling through Maine (Acadia Nat'l Park) Vermont (Montpelier area0 and New Hampshire (Meredith area). Is there a website any of you have used to look up campgrounds, or do any of you have suggestions for campgrounds that you have liked. They would like electric but can do w/out full hook-ups.

Thanks for any help.

We use rvparkreviews.com for research on campgrounds. I recommend Bar Harbour Campground for doing Acadia, Its cash only and no reservations. Make sure you plan enough time here to do the town of Bar Harbour as well as the national park. Our favourite place in NH is Lost River campground west of woodstock and north of the Meredith area.

Love Lost River but have not been for awhile, the web site says max length 32 feet.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Never been there, but this is about as close to Montpelier as you can get. It seems to get decent reviews. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Vermont/Williamstown.html What route are you planning to take? Might have some other suggestions. Lived in VT for 40 years.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
NH Meredith...Meredith Woods (pricey), Harbor Hills (a little less pricey) A little more rustic.
NH North...Danforth Bay, Saco River

VT...Burlington county park. Burlington is a great town.

Don't know of any in Montpelier area.

The Acadia recommendations given are good.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Reader1 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

We use rvparkreviews.com for research on campgrounds. I recommend Bar Harbour Campground for doing Acadia, Its cash only and no reservations. Make sure you plan enough time here to do the town of Bar Harbour as well as the national park. Our favourite place in NH is Lost River campground west of woodstock and north of the Meredith area.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Hadley Point in Maine, Meridith Woods or Harbor Hills in Nh. I like the Pine Valley KOA but is is close to an hour to get where they are going.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Bar harbor campground is very nice. Sites are all spaced apart well, most sites are level, and the campground is very well maintained. The prices are reasonable, too. They do not take reservations, and are cash only. We recently stayed at hadley point campground and prefer bar harbor campground. The oceanside koa is too pricey for us and when the tide is out in that area the mud can be very stinky(sulphur smell).
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA. It's a bit "cozy" but well worth it. Danforth Bay in Freedom, NH (about 40 miles from Meredith) is a great base for the White Mountains and a wonderful campground.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into hiking, Franconia Notch (also in the whites) has some really great hikes.
Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2010 Keystone Everest 348R

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We always use rvparkreviews.com to find Campgrounds. In Bar Harbor we like either the KOA or the Bar Harbor Campground. In Meredith, we like Meredith woods campground or a little south of there is Ellacoya SP right on Winnipesaukee.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
If going to NH you should check out the North Conway area. The mountains are great and the auto route to the top of Mount Washington is a must do.

Saco River Campsite in North Conway is a great spot to stay while you are there. Close to restaurants, shopping and sight-seeing but very quiet with a river running along the length of the campround

Acadia in Maine - try the KOA Oceanfront. Pricey but many of the sites are oceanfront and most of the rest have an ocean view. Free trolly into Bar Harbour.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels!
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Not too far from Montpelier, I always liked Allis State Park. Not very big, but it is very peaceful and quiet. No hookups.