cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best time to buy an RV?

vanvoast
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to buy a 2015 Spree Connect C232IKS travel trailer sometime in the future.
I live in PA and am not in a hurry.
Price wise, what is the best month of the year to buy one and get the best price.
In other words... When do dealers put their inventory on "clearance"? End of summer, end of the month, end of the year, January after a good snow story? (I do not have an RV to trade in)
Has anyone in this forum worked for a dealer and have the answer?
Thankz!
Joe
18 REPLIES 18

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Middle of July in Arizona. Winter is high season.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
My previous post was based on in stock RVs.
doubt that there is a "best" time to buy if you are ordering a RV.
Though you'll have to wait longer if you order during the spring high season.

Here in Michigan as long as it is here by the middle of May it is a good thing. Remember the trailers are built is groups not just one at a time. If you have a popular one "your" group my be filled. I order early enough to get what I want when I want.
Remember to shop the dealer also the horror storys out of General RV are many so dealership can make all the difference.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
My previous post was based on in stock RVs.
doubt that there is a "best" time to buy if you are ordering a RV.
Though you'll have to wait longer if you order during the spring high season.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The best time to buy an RV is when you find exactly what you want at a price you can live with. If you purchase strictly on price, not getting exactly what you want, you are going to be out in the long run either by not be as happy as you could be with your unit or losing money trading in the unit after a year or two.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

vanvoast
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS, Everyone!
Kinda confirms my thinking, but a lot more great information here!!
Joe

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
The best time is when the dealer really wants to sell. Can't always tell when that is, but I did pretty well toward the end of the model year, on the last days of the month, for a RV that had been on the dealer's lot for some time. However, it may not be worth the wait if you have more immediate needs.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Great question! We are seriously considering a new(er), larger trailer in the Spring. TY for the info as well!!!

If I could add to the op's question, from what I have read here on RV.Net, close to 30% off MSRP is considered a very good deal, correct? Pre tax of course, but what about those dealers that charge set up/ prep fees, including those also of base MSRP?

TY!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
When you can pay cash ( and not have to get a loan)
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the location, depends on the dealer.... so different than buying a car or truck.......... Our dealer the pricing is the same all year until a trailer has sat on the lot over a year......

Absolute best time to buy when the money is tight, & the economy bad....... also in the north end of year or winter....... Southern states maybe never a great time.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Oct/Nov
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
when i was shopping, i found that from Sept-Nov, prices seemed to drop.
we bought our HTT in Oct and i asked the dealer why their prices appeared to have dropped.
he told me that they wanted to get rid of inventor, for two reasons.
1. to get the inventory down during the winter, since they sold very few units during that time(they were in Chicago).
2. this also made room for the early spring, when the new model year units would start arriving for the summer season.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As with automobiles or trucks, consider buying at the end of a month, the last day preferably, toward the end of the day...in a rain or snow storm! Seriously. They are trying to meet quotas and will be more likely to deal. They will also be tired. Wear them down! This has worked for me in the past, could work for anyone else if they are persistent.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I've always "ordered" mine in Feb or April before the rush. Always have gotten a good deal and always get the TT exactly setup as I want it.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Remember they are a business. They have quarter end and year end to make their numbers. Though quarter end they may deal more, year end they tend to do a lot more flexing on serous buyers. Not only do they want good dollars to report on sales they have to count their year end inventory and pay taxes on that inventory.

Research when fiscal year end is for the dealer you want to go with. Very few are calendar year so it could be any month.

Preterit sector could be end of your states camping season.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars