cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can anyone share their experiences with Uber?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I recently started using Uber to get around when my wife is using our one and only vehicle. I get picked up within 4-5 minutes when closer to town and in about 15-20 minutes when I'm at our campground. So far so good.

I'm hoping to see if anyone else has any experiences with this service. Would it be possible to forgo a toad, rental car or taxis using only Uber?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
32 REPLIES 32

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
dieharder wrote:
Here in Ottawa, Uber driver's are being fined by by-law officers when caught. They are bandit cabs.
Honestly, this seems a bit extreme to me. "Bandit" cabs? That makes it sound as if they are holding up folks at gunpoint. Others mentioned the potential dangers of an unknown driver.

I detect a lot of emotion on this issue so I would like to ask everyone to please share their factual experiences with Uber and not their feelings or emotions about Uber or Lyft.

Particularly, I'm curious what their coverage is outside of metropolitan areas.

It's exactly what they're called - bandit cabs. Taxis operated without a license to do so, regardless of where they're operating. While Uber may conduct their checks and have their requirements, there is absolutely nothing to show that these checks and requirements meet the city requirements where they're operating. In addition, there is very little, if any, recourse if the customer has a bad experience.

Are they just as safe as regular city cabs? Possibly... could be... maybe... but who knows? That's the point. With city cabs, you can read somewhere on the city site what, point by point, what criteria needs to be met to get a license. Does Uber provide this in detail so customers can take this into consideration whether to choose to employ the service or not?

Just as an example: I just signed up as an Uber X driver. The only thing it did was ask me to scan in my driver's license, insurance, registration and proof that I'm eligible to work here. That's it. Got a nice welcome video. No fees, no vetting at all. they have no clue who I am. Do you? I have to believe my city's requirements are more than that.

Again, this is just here in Ottawa, or should I say on our side of the border. I see that Uber does more checks in the US, but not here. While someone may be confident that they'll have a positive experience while using the service in the US, not knowing that they don't do the same checks on this side of the border could put a customer in a position where the person they trust to drive them would not be someone they would trust to do so on the other side.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uber requires BG checks for drivers and your vehicle must meet certain requirements.

http://blog.uber.com/driverscreening

I've used this service in a few different cities and it's been great. I would never recommend that my wife get into a car alone with any stranger...taxi, Uber, or otherwise. I can say for sure that every Uber ride I've taken has been MUCH more pleasant than any of the cabs I've taken over the last few years (maybe ever).

That said, coverage is dependent on location. I don't think relying on Uber will work unless you stick to more populated areas.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Here in Ottawa, Uber driver's are being fined by by-law officers when caught. They are bandit cabs.
Honestly, this seems a bit extreme to me. "Bandit" cabs? That makes it sound as if they are holding up folks at gunpoint. Others mentioned the potential dangers of an unknown driver.

I detect a lot of emotion on this issue so I would like to ask everyone to please share their factual experiences with Uber and not their feelings or emotions about Uber or Lyft.

Particularly, I'm curious what their coverage is outside of metropolitan areas.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
After trying to follow this thread, I had to stop, & Google Uber, to see what it is, as I've never heard of it. Guess that's what you get when you live in the country & only been in a taxi about 3 time in my life. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cougarnewbie wrote:
No background checks. No safety inspections.

Not true!

I have a friend who drives for Lyft. He and his car both had to go through extensive checks -- and he chose Lyft because Uber is even more stringent (and thus a bit of a hassle).

They won't even consider me, because my car is 15 years old.

The union stuff, and lack of protections for DRIVERS -- I agree that is a big problem.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

planter8
Explorer
Explorer
Used it a dozen time. Way better than a cab. Check them out on the web. Will use them again. Cheaper than a cab and no tipping. No charge for extra passengers.
Planter8
2014 Keystone Avalanche 361TG
Ford F150 3.5l Ecoboost

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
One and only experience with Uber when visiting a friend in San Jose, she parked her car and we walked for miles around San Francisco, her hubby working for Apple is a big Uber fan, she ordered an Uber car and WOW. Spotlessly clean, I mentioned I'd love to go down that real windy switch back road like I'd seen on the Streets of San Francisco with Carl Malden - bottom line he took us down there ?Lombard Street, was most professional looking and in mannerisms we had complimentary bottles of water and mints or gum. WOW, how refreshing than the rude and obnoxious, stinky dirty cabs we've been in on occasions.

I can relate to some of the concerns mentioned but have to say I would use them again based on experience in San Fran.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Used it a couple times, works fine until there is high demand, and up goes the price. I slightly prefer normal taxis with a name behind them, but I have no reason to doubt Uber drivers.

And on that note, there are a couple big law suites that may change how drivers are perceived...at employees or contractors. Might change Uber entirely.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Met a full time RVer that is a Uber driver. According to him he submitted to a background check and is covered by company ins while driving. On the other hand the only time my credit card was stolen it was used for Uber.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
No background checks. No safety inspections. In Chicago numerous crimes by drivers.

Ditto in Boston. Taxi drivers are licensed and vetted.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
My son has used it several times when he did not want to drive after drinking and is a big fan. Never tried it myself.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I'm indifferent to the safety concerns about Uber compared to taxis. We lost a friend 11 years ago when a taxi driver in Las Vegas made a very poor decision with my friend as one of his passengers.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I won't use them as they get, keep and share your personal information.
In a taxi you are anonymous.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
There was an analysis published recently that Uber is the lower cost provider only when the taxi ride would be $35 or more. It isn't like those rides are free. If you didn't feel that giving up your personal driver to use taxis and buses was a good idea, I don't see where Uber changes that game significantly. It is available in less places than taxis. And the drivers deliver you from point A to point B, not very good for sightseeing, shopping and the like. If you are going to restrict your RVing to major cities, you are probably fine, but those cities already have public and private for hire transportation services in place. If you want to see the Grand Canyon, Uber won't be there to help.