cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I rant? Driving stuff...

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picked up the trailer today after some warranty... I hate the rain and driving in Washington.

Was on I-5 and Highway 16 from Tacoma to Poulsbo WA, about an hour drive.

To the Lady in the Subaru who had to pass to cut me off with no turn signal while I am towing 57 feet of truck and trailer that made me hit the brakes so hard I could see the side of my trailer coming around so you could slow down and exit right in front of me 3 miles down the road.

To the worker rider driver(this is a bus the with an employee driving other employees home) who hung out in the left lane next to me for 3 miles going 62 MPH then decided to get in behind me because you were scared to pass even after I slowed down to let you in front of me I hope your Government furlough last longer than 22 days (These busses operate for the Navy shipyard). I could not be a truck driver, people are just inconsiderate. There were others but right now I need a drink, maybe two.

Thanks for listening.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.
56 REPLIES 56

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
ls1mike wrote:
That is why I vented here. I do my best to let the stuff go when I am driving, but man yesterday it was rough.

driving situations happen all the time. let this stuff go is exactly what ya gotta do!!

total of 12 hr round trip this week. we met only 3-4 people who stink at driving. not a bad trip for us this time.

most just don't know where the gas pedal is and they need a refresher course. pull out in front of a monster rig like ours, and then don't accelerate is just wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday headed to town to do a Home Depot and Wal-Mart run. Two lane road. Was doing the speed limit. Had cruise control on. About 40 ft behind me was a pickup truck. The driver was doing the same speed, since the truck hadn't caught up to me. Saw another pickup pass him. Hoped the passing pickup was just going to pass and pull in behind me since there was a motorcylist coming towards us. Nope, decided to pass me too. I kicked out the cruise control and slowed down to let the driver by. Not only do you have to watch out for your own driving but you have to watch everyone else too.

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We somewhat avoid some of the "crazy drivers" by staying off the Interstates.
The scenery on U.S., State, and some County roads is much better at 55 than
70. Retired and in no hurry to get somewhere in a rush.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the #1 threat on the road today, is driver's under the influence of their cell phone! I'm absolutely amazed and frustrated that laws have not been put in place to ban their use while driving - and not just texting. The problem has little to do with the hands, but more to do with a distracted brain. If you were having surgery, would you want your surgeon to be talking on a cell phone during the procedure? Why not?

As evidence, I'll ask you to watch shoppers who are chatting on their phones. They are usually oblivious to anyone, or anything, going on around them. It's as if they are in a trance, or under the influence. In fact, studies I've read state that drivers on cell phones display the same symptoms as drunk drivers - erratic speed, swerving in the lane, running red lights and stop signs, fast stops and slow starts. Most recently, I was nearly run over (as a pedestrian) by some bozo yacking on his cell phone, while he was staring way up in the sky at a building . . . as he blitzed right through a red light . . . just as I was entering the crosswalk. Fortunately, I'm well aware of watching out for such knuckleheads.

Similarly, on the way home from work recently, I watched the driver in front me nearly side swipe two cars a total of four times in the span of about 1/2-mile, while having a jolly cell phone conversation. I hope driving the multi-thousand pound vehicle wasn't disturbing his phone call!!

I know it's easy to target the various company vehicles and buses, but the fact is, the mom driving the kids around in her mini van, can just as easily injure, or kill, me and my family if she's distracted during a phone conversation and blows through a stoplight doing 50mph and runs into our vehicle.

May I suggest each of us make a commitment to keep the cell put away until the vehicle is stopped. Really, can't the conversation wait a few minutes? Sure beats causing an accident.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
My pet peeve is someone rushing to get around me to make an exit ramp when there is a virtually empty road behind me. A slight touch on the brakes would have made the exit easier with no one being riled. A DPS trooper actually did that to me once. Mostly, I try to stay out of people's way and avoid any kind of confrontation. That used to be called defensive driving and no I do not consider myself an above average driver. One of the realities of getting old is that our capabilities become diminished with years.
Russ

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜„
ls1mike wrote:
Jaybird wrote:
Should have taken the road thru Shelton.......

๐Ÿ™‚

jb

It is a bit out of the way, but Shelton has "grown" up a bit and that time of the day traffic is bad. They are trying to get funds to build a bypass around the back side of it.

:W
Just kidding LOL I hate that right left right
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"

clutch1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you realize that just about 90% of drivers polled rated their driving better than average?
2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 well equiped with max tow package. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I am often tempted to strike back at those who offend me while driving. But then I remember those riding with me who have trusted me to get them safely where they're going and it calms me.:C

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaybird wrote:
Should have taken the road thru Shelton.......

๐Ÿ™‚

jb

It is a bit out of the way, but Shelton has "grown" up a bit and that time of the day traffic is bad. They are trying to get funds to build a bypass around the back side of it.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago after being left hanging by someone who wouldn't pass when the lanes merged, I now move into the lane with the right of way as soon as I can when I see the merge warning signs. Has saved me a lot of anxious minutes and/or evasive manuvers when the slow driver finally did get around.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

6MISFITZ
Explorer
Explorer
Was crossing the Peace Bridge (not towing) with our children in the van on Thursday to go and meet DW for diner in Buffalo and the cross border line up was past the CDN Duty free.

One SUV driver decided to get out of line and drive on the shoulder and force his way back into line one car ahead of us as the line was creeping up towards the bridge. The driver purposely made an aggressive move to the car in front of us to let him in. He then made another left swerve move and this time hit the car in front of us.

The suv driver forced his way into the line swearing his head off and waving his arms out the window at the car in front of us as I was on the phone reporting his stupid and slowly leaving the scene behind.

For my grief, I was passed from Niagara Regional Police to Ontario Provincial Police and back again as to who this report I was trying to make belonged too!

Still no call back from any constabulary 3 days later.

Mike.
Mom, Dad, 4 kids, 2 Camping Dogs
Express 2500 LS (135"WB) 6.0L, 4.10, G80, PYO wheels, HENSLEY & McKesh
--------------------

MISFITZ

RACING

MFCC

Rallies Attended 4, 7 Un-Rallies

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you guys hate my sorry behind. I must be quite provincial by your standards. I might drive on a divided highway once a month.
I am sure that none of you have ever gotten of an exit knowing that you had to turn left and suddenly the navigator starts yelling No! No! Right! Right! So you are half committed,you have the green light,and she is still yelling right! right!,so you just go straight, back onto the freeway only to have to exit again and navigate through a totally unplanned route.
Yep, I am not happy about it but I am human and have messed up a time or two while driving. Think that if you really want to be honest things like this have happend to alll of us. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am more than a little laid back. I dont get annoyed over other drivers. I once in a while tell my better half to calm down. I dont want him to have a heart attack over other peoples mistakes. We all make them. some of us are better drivers than others. its not worth getting ourselves in an uproar and making ourselves ill. Most of us are retired, we dont need to rush. So what if it takes a little longer to get there.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
I do express myself from time to time when I am in my Trans Am. The truck and trailer? No so much, I keep it low key and just remember why I am towing that beast.

My original post had a less then nice word. Thanks to the Mods for editing that one out. I told the lady in the Subaru what she could do. I just did it here ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

What do you mean by express yourself?

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Actual DRIVING TESTS should be mandatory for everyone, every 5 years. Yeah it would cost, but if adhered to, it would make the roads so much safer.

I commute 54 miles each way, just SW of Boston. After 10 years of it, I'm still amazed each week by some of the drivers I encounter out there. From those who feel they are indestructible, to those who are obviously paralyzed with fear behind the wheel, I see it all.

Possession of a driver's license was once a privilege, but is now looked at as more of a "right". Someone who is incapable of properly controlling a multi-ton vehicle at speed, should NOT have the right to be out behind the wheel. I don't care if they are 16 or 106, everyone should be tested periodically, in real world situations.

Lastly, law enforcement needs to be out there trolling for these drivers. The crazy drivers, the paralyzed with fear drivers, all need to be dealt with.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King