cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I use household caulk around RV windows?

MT_Pokets
Explorer
Explorer
I know you need a special caulk on many RV roofs, but I have to replace a window on the side of my Class C. Got the replacement window from the manufacturer, and I happen to have several tubes of household caulk (silicon base). Can I use them to do the job or do I need to get special RV caulk? Seems like everything that says RV on it costs twice as much as the regular stuff. Anyone with good advice on this??
17 REPLIES 17

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I went through this on my 5'er. There should be Butyl tape that is between the exterior side where it mates up to the exterior wall on the RV. There is 2 kinds of Dicor, self leveling which you do not want, it will run down the sides. You want to use Dicor Non-Sag Lap Sealent. The non-sag will not run down the side and you can use it on the top of the window just as the others are sealed with it.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
I had a clearance light leak over a year ago and didnt have Dicor. I used some latex window calk around them. Just checked it the other day and still holding strong.
Full timing it since July 2012

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ranger Smith wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Use Dicor made for RV caulk. Silicone will not work.

Dicor is good for sealing stuff on roofs. It will self level. It is not good for sides of Rv's as it will flow down the side.
They make a Dicor calk just for sealing that is not self level and stay a bead. Quote: 551 LSW non-leveling/non-sag lap sealant formulated for 1/4 and 3/8 bead. The best way is to take the window out and use the putty RV tape you can buy at dealers, what the mfg uses.

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Quad caulk!!
X2
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
If you're replacing the whole window frame, I would use urethane sealant, readily available at Home depot. Not as good for caulking around a window that's already in place, but best choice when re-installing a window unit.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting comments here. I'm pretty sure Dicor makes a product for the "side" of your RV too. Not just the self leveling stuff.

My travel trailer came from the factory with caulk over the tops and sides of the windows, door & corners in addition to the butyl tape that was used during assembly. On top of that, when it went in for factory work, they caulked it again.

I personally won't use a silicone product. I've had troubles with them staying stuck and of course nothing else will stick after that either.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, use the butyl tape. My RV service center stated to me NOT to use caulk.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

elkhornsun
Explorer
Explorer
ProflexRV for the side and best to use the Clear type. Use Klean-Strip Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner (takes the place of MEK, toluene, xylene, Naptha). Good for cleaning the surface before applying the Proflex.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

Dicor is good for sealing stuff on roofs. It will self level. It is not good for sides of Rv's as it will flow down the side.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I would use nothing but the butyl tape around the window for that. I don't use silicone for anything except maybe around a shower.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I think the putty tape is called Butyl tape. I have a roll of gray for just in case of repairs.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

joy-rick
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember what it is called, but there is a special "putty" like material that you need to use to form a gasket between your new window and the body of the trailer.
Rick (K8RWG), Joy, and Daffy (the spoiled Calico cat)
2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SCLB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III