cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Complete Newbie Needs Straight Talk

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are longtime tent-campers trying to upgrade to a travel trailer. We're looking at something in the 15-17' range (such as Starcraft AR-One, R-Pod, etc.) weighing under 3,000.

Since my current vehicle (Ford Fiesta) wont tow *anything* I know I need to get a truck capable of safely towing a camper. I've tried to do my homework, but I'm going crazy...GVWR...GCW...axle rating...tongue weight...gear ratio...transmission coolers...

I've seen plenty of trucks in my price range ($10K) that I *think* will work (F150, Excusion, Silverado 1500, Yukon) but I've been unable to make an exact determination. The sellers sometimes have no idea what gear ratio the truck has. Or if the installed hitch is a "load distributing" hitch. Etc.

With the small size trailer we're looking at, can I safely assume that nearly any full-size vehicle with a V8 will work? Is there anywhere online that I can simply plug in a vehicle VIN and get a "you can safely tow XXXXX" determination?
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)
26 REPLIES 26

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Weight distribution is needed when the tongue weight of the trailer exceeds the "weight carrying" rating of the truck's receiver hitch, OR the tongue weight of the trailer causes too much weight to be transferred off the front wheels of the truck (causing handling/braking issues).

Many modern weight distribution designs also incorporate sway control that is far and away better than the old fashioned friction devices, so even if you don't need the weight distribution, it's not a bad idea to have it just for the sway control.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
For Ford, look at the sticker on the door jamb and there is an axle code. You can google the year and model and find the axle ratio. Ford's towing guides are online as well so you can see all ratings for each configuration of engine, axle, wheel base, etc.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
most with a V8 .. but avoid manual transmissions unless its a heavy duty.

my Ram 1500 V SIX manual.. would only do 3,000 pound trailer.. but the same engine with an automatic was 4,500 pounds. I am talking 2 wheel drive.

WDH is needed when trailer is heaver that tow vehicle or Nose heavy.. my opinion.

check owners manual and on the Door sticker.. for what a vehicle can tow and carry. as the door sticker is the last WORD on that it can do..

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info y'all! The ***Link Removed*** (thanks @SpeakEasy) page is pretty much what I was seeking -- not sure how I missed it.

It seems like any full size pickup or SUV with a V8 will suit our needs. We've seem plenty of late model trucks that fit the bill (and our budget!).

Right now our needs are pretty simple, but getting more truck now may allow us to upgrade to a larger trailer in the future.

Thanks again!
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The "load distributing hitch" would not be installed on the truck, so you don't need to ask about that anymore. One less thing to worry about.

Technically what you are referring to is a "WEIGHT distributing hitch" and it is a device you buy separate from the truck and trailer, to connect the trailer to the truck. The size you choose is based on the weight of the trailer, and is a good idea 99.9999 percent of the time, especially if you buy one with an integrated sway control device.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a good bang for the buck, I would consider the Chev. Trailblazer.
4.3 straight 6

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
What you're looking for is an online guide where you can enter a vehicle's year, make, and model, and have it look up and tell you the towing capability.

Here it is.

Keep in mind that this gives the towing weight capability but there are more numbers you need to be aware of. One of the most important, in terms of the limitations you're likely to run into, is payload capacity.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a little TT at the Hershey show last month that I think weighed just south of 2000 maybe 1500 lbs. Think it had a Mini Cooper Max hooked to it. Not very big, but offered the basics if just starting out. good for 2 people. If I can find the name, I'll post it for you.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mvander wrote:
You might not even need a V8 if you dont ever pln on going bigger with the trailer. A modern v6 in a half ton shoud do the job if you stay with a truck within 5-7 years or so. Try and get a 6 speed auto in the flavor of truck you prefer. This means 09 or newer ford or gm. Not sure on the dodges.

He said 10grand budget. That's ok I try to spend other people's money too!
This guy is right, for a little trailer like that a V8 half ton would be super comfortable. 6 banger would do the job though. A lot of midsize suvs would do it too, but you may find the best bang for the buck in an ext cab pickup. 4 full doors command a premium price and ext cabs aren't as popular but just as capable and comfortable from the captains chair.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
You might not even need a V8 if you dont ever pln on going bigger with the trailer. A modern v6 in a half ton shoud do the job if you stay with a truck within 5-7 years or so. Try and get a 6 speed auto in the flavor of truck you prefer. This means 09 or newer ford or gm. Not sure on the dodges.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Find a vehicle you like with a V8, then look in the owners manual before you buy to determine what it can tow. Also have some pre-determined RVs and weights in mind to determine your final choice. Smaller trailers like an R-Pod should not require a WD hitch, only a anti-sway bar and a hitch rated for the correct weights. Good Luck!!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad