cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decorative lights

edb121212
Explorer
Explorer
I was told that the decorative lights people put around their recreational vehicles (the rope ones) are for keeping mice away. Is this true and does it work? I always thought they were just for looks and some outside lighting.
14 REPLIES 14

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will work I gouarantee. Some rat snakes tethered with copper wire through the tails attached to leashes, under the RV. Also will keep kids from stealing your beer from the cooler, and dogs from peeing on our chair. ๐Ÿ™‚
Rattle Snakes work even better.

daveandviv
Explorer
Explorer
Now that you mention it, I've never seen a mouse by a rope light.
2016 GMC Denali 3500 D/A
2017 Jayco Eagle FW 321RSTS

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a couple of cats...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lights are just lights, they do not deter mice or bugs or anything else that I know of with the possible exception of a specific type of person who fears the light..

And a 12ga works better with those. You don't even need shells (Well dummy shells may help) just the sound of the pump being racked is enough to deter them big time cause they know what follows the Shasshunk of it being racked (A BOOM and a SCREAM, Their scream) and thus they make hast to be elsewhere before you can pull the trigger.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a real good answer to that question about mice...call an exterminator and you may hear a lot of laughing! I seriously doubt lights will keep them out, in fact it might show them the way home! Light or no lights...mice are always looking for a home to nest in.

A few solar lights near the door or some set on the dash in a MH are nice. This time of year folks get all cheery and want lights everywhere and that is fine from dusk until 10 PM then they need to be shut off so the whole campground isn't bright all night.

I realize the psychological affect of light...makes people happy and feel connected to a modern society...however even with LED lighting to save energy...what's wrong with a little natural darkness so one can see the stars!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their main purpose is to stir the pot on Internet forums!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

edb121212
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I guess that is a "no they don't". I didn't think they did but wanted to hear from others about it. I sure had never heard of it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
You received false information.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't need the extra aggravation of putting them up but that's me and laziness.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought they marked the runway for a nearby airport....:h.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Do not trust the person you heard that from for anything having to do with science.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
They do attract bugs during that time of the year.

Not for us but to each his/her own.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Their main function is to run up the utility bill. The LED version does a very poor job of doing that.

EDIT. They are very ineffective at repelling mice of the blind variety.