cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Hose fittings

Explorer
Explorer
I need a short fresh water hose - about six feet or so. I have several 25 foot fresh water hoses that we no longer use. I want to cut one down and put on a new male or female fitting on the cut end.

Are the brass or plastic fittings sold in home store garden departments OK for a drinking water hose? They say nothing about drinking water safe. I can't see that the hose ends on a drinking water hose are any different.

Thanks.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road
10 REPLIES 10

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Any brass fitting has a California label because brass has some lead in it...
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
How much water over what period of time would one have to consume for there to be a health issue, be it from any hose or fitting. Many of us grew up getting a drink of water from hoses as we played in our or our neighbors yards. And who knew there the end of that hose had been before we drank from it. JMHO but the likelihood of getting sick from the hose or its fittings is so minute that it is not worth the time to worry over it. Bacteria growing in the hose is probably a greater issue. How often do we sanitize the hose? Or do most of us just roll it up and store it till the next time.
Jim Hunter

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want QUALITY flexible water hoses that will last this is the guy to buy from. http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. My main concern was for any lead used on a brass fitting or chemicals from a plastic fitting that contaminate the drinking water coming through the hose. It seems to me also that a brass garden hose fitting should be no different when it comes to potable water than the brass fittings used on drinking water hoses.

I know that I can buy a four foot hose from Camping World but there are no Camping World stores within 200 miles from here and it is not worth the shipping and the cost of the hose when I have three extra 25 foot fresh water hoses sitting in my shed.

I will get a brass fitting with a secure connection and cut one of the 25 foot hoses down. Thanks!
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the plastic also because of the 'over the hose' clamp but the plastic part that goes inside the hose breaks.

SO I bought a good brass one, inserted it into hose and then used the plastic clamp to secure it.
Works great and no metal end sticking out like hose clamps
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have both plastic and brass fittings. I like the plastic because of the plastic clamp that goes over the hose. But over time they seem to stretch and let a drip come out between the hose and the male or female end. Then I just cut it back a little more and redo. The brass are great but there is a downside also. I have a couple that use a different style of clamp. One kind has the clamp that matches the plastic clamp. The other uses a radiator style screw clamp. No leaks from other. But when dragging the hoses with either of those brass ends, they seem to find everything to hang up on. And really beware if you use the to wash your vehicle or RV that they don't drag on the side, etc. when doing like the roofs. So it's a typical******shoot t me. Just my two cents worth.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
1775 wrote:
I need a short fresh water hose - about six feet or so. I have several 25 foot fresh water hoses that we no longer use. I want to cut one down and put on a new male or female fitting on the cut end.

Are the brass or plastic fittings sold in home store garden departments OK for a drinking water hose? They say nothing about drinking water safe. I can't see that the hose ends on a drinking water hose are any different.

Thanks.

I agree with you, but would go with a brass fitting over a plastic one. JMHO

X2 on the brass fittings. If you decide not to cut the hoses, they do make shorter hoses. I have one about 3' long that I use to go from the faucet and pressure regulator to my filter. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 25' hose and made a 10' and 15' out of it. No big deal.
The fittings were marked 5/8" / 3/4" and the hose was 5/8" ID. I heated the hose ends to make getting them over the new fittings easier.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:

Obviously any fittings you install yourself that insert into the hose will reduce the inside diameter and therefore the maximum flow rate of the hose ... wouldn't it be simpler to buy a 10' potable water hose with factory installed ends and be done with it? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:

Thanks.

I agree with you, but would go with a brass fitting over a plastic one. JMHO