cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas detector saved my bacon... Whoa!!! I'm Thankful!

Wow, I am counting my blessings here tonight. :E

I just installed a new stereo in the TT, then I was doing my dishes after that, listening to my favorite tunes on the new stereo, Had a couple drinks along the way.....

My sinuses are plugged a bit, allergy issue or something and I'm sneezing and working away late this evening contemplating heading to bed now.

So I washed my dishes, rinsed and put them on the stove cover like I do every time I do this task.

All of a sudden there comes a high pitched shrieking sound, just a quick loud beep, beep, every 10 or 15 seconds or so. I'm alone, I have my tunes cranked and I am enjoying the late evening as I work in the TT.

What on earth is that shrill shrieking sound? Thought it was coming from the stereo so I turned it off. Nope, not the stereo.

What is it? I start looking around and all of a sudden the noise comes on solid, loud shrill high pitched squeal.

Oh man what the heck is that?? I gotta find it and turn it off. Small area, the sounds is echoing off everything, I can't pinpoint it. Walk back and forth looking to see where it is coming from. Cannot locate.....Argh!! That hurts the ears!!

I look down at my gas detector, the light is red. Hmmmmm didn't occur to me that is should be green, not red. Drop to my knees, have a close look, reset button, push and hold, the noise stops.

So I analyze the situation..... Remember, I have had a couple drinks and my senses are not operating at their fullest. Hmmmm gas detector to notify me if there is propane present.... Still doesn't click, Bob, you're an idiot...

I stand up and look around. sinus issues, I can't smell a thing. Usually I have a nose like a bloodhound. But I'm 60 now and my senses are not what they used to be. I look at the stove controls. Oh 4 letter word, there is an element turned on. I quickly turn it off, open a couple roof vents, the door and crank up the FFan in the bathroom. I still can't smell a thing. Door wide open, roof vents open, I wait a minute and the gas detector goes from red to green.

Somehow when I was doing the dishes I managed to hit one of the stove controls and I turned an element on without noticing. Not sure how I did that but I did.

Wow, could have been fatal for me. Holy friggin doodle, I danged near did myself in. I was going to dry the dishes and go to bed. Wow, just wow. Sure glad I replaced my gas detector when I bought this TT. Old one wasn't working so I tossed it and bought a new one.

I think I just saved my own life.

Sure glad I pay attention to safety stuff in my TT!!!

So my message to everyone here is:

Check your gas detector, and smoke detector, the life you save may be your own!!! :E:E:E
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
38 REPLIES 38

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to say this, but some of what you are describing - "But for whatever reason, last night my senses were dull. My taster was off too, and even this morning still. Everything tasted bland when I know it wasn't." - might be a mild case of CO (carbon monoxide) affects.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dang it BOB.......propane is not as forgiving as butter incident!

Those stove knobs/controls can be an issue.
They should have to be pushed before turning.
I remove the knobs occasionally....spray shaft down while pushing it in/spring out with some WD to remove any gunk.

Glad you caught on

Keep them trailer batteries charged (LP Detector wired directly)
And check them smoke & co detector batteries twice a year

All of the above, plus

.......maybe time for a visit to an allergy doc?

(Propane is pretty stinky stuff!)

~

I am very surprised I didn't smell it. I have an unbelievably keen sense of smell. But for whatever reason, last night my senses were dull. My taster was off too, and even this morning still. Everything tasted bland when I know it wasn't. Strange....

If this is still happening by noon you might want to call a Doc and make a appointment , (You can always cancel it) This might be a symptom of a bigger problem. Your no teenager you know. (I'm not either so I'm just giving you grief, no offense intended lol)

naturist wrote:
I don't think I woulda turned on the vent fan. Electrical spark, you know. I think you might have dodged TWO bullets.

There wasn't enough gas to pose an explosion hazard. I would have smelled it if there was. I'm just glad my gas detector works properly and caught it in the early stages of gassing myself. Glad I wasn't in bed.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Golden_HVAC wrote:
Most propane gas leak detectors also shut off the propane valve when the detector is going off.

You probably had the propane shut off while the detector was also sounding. (they do that) Good think it saved your life.

Happy camping!

Fred.

Quite a few of you have commented on this.
I actually have never heard of such a feature, but then I have never owned a newer RV. Mine is a 97 so it definitely does not have things like this.

I'm looking at buying a 2010 Tango. Maybe it has that feature, I don't know.

ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I remove the knobs occasionally....spray shaft down while pushing it in/spring out with some WD to remove any gunk.

Glad you caught on

All of the above, plus

~

I am very surprised I didn't smell it. I have an unbelievably keen sense of smell. But for whatever reason, last night my senses were dull. My taster was off too, and even this morning still. Everything tasted bland when I know it wasn't. Strange....

n7bsn wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dang it BOB.......propane is not as forgiving as butter incident!...

I knew someone would remind him of that :B

Oh yeah, I'm never going to live that one down - LOl!! :B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MHs are more likely to have an emergency shut-off solenoid activated by LP Detector on their propane tanks

TTs/FWs with propane cylinders are less likely to have that feature.

Best to check your specific system.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Glad you caught on

All of the above, plus

~

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I always cook the bacon outside but at least it was saved. Were you having it before bed or per cooked for breakfast.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think I woulda turned on the vent fan. Electrical spark, you know. I think you might have dodged TWO bullets.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now that you have tested your propane detector, ventilate and relax.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Most propane gas leak detectors also shut off the propane valve when the detector is going off.

You probably had the propane shut off while the detector was also sounding. (they do that) Good think it saved your life.

Happy camping!

Fred.

While some do I feel that by far most do not. I am on my 4th RV and none had the auto shut off for the propane.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Actually even if my TT had the feature, I wouldn't risk my lunch much less my life. Gizmos fail.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dang it BOB.......propane is not as forgiving as butter incident!...

I knew someone would remind him of that :B
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.