cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a nine-month cross-country trip with our 20-foot Prowler. Great fun and very few issues. We used a 110-watt solar suitcase (Renogy) which worked well and we rarely needed a generator. We sometimes had shore power but were able to go 3 days or so with just the collectors. Of course, it depends on the weather (clouds) and the location (trees). We need a lomger cable on the collector to enable us to pick a sunny spot even if we're in the trees. We started in early February and got home on Halloween, so we missed the days with little sun.
But this month, we went to the Anza-Borrego desert park in San Diego county. It was sunny but the sun angle was low and the batteries went dead after 3 days. Now, we're looking for a generator. (We had borrowed a Honda 2000 for our big trip. They're great, but expensive)
We see Harbor Freight has an inexpensive generator but I read where people had bad experiences with them. Walmart has a "Sportsman" for a little more dough. Anyone used one of these?
63 REPLIES 63

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flatfive wrote:
We are concerened about noise, but not like someone said "We can barely hear it in our RV". We are concerned for others nearby, maybe in tents.. .
Good on you. I have 2 Hondas, and even their noise can ruin the ambiance of a nice beach or forest. I use them sparingly when necessary. Solar does a lot of the work.. when the sun shines, of course.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my experience with 3 different Champion generators.

1. Champion 3500 watt open frame. Has a great RV plug and runs everything. Always felt like I needed to drag it 500ft because of noise. Heavy, sold it.

2. Champion 2000 watt inverter. Nice and quiet, light weight. No RV plug so have to carry adapter. Have been using this little genset for 6 years. Struggles at 9000 ft and up with micro and or coffee pot. Will not run AC. Am keeping this one around. Great for charging batteries.

3. Champion 3100 watt inverter w/remote start. Runs everything, quiet, doesn't struggle at 9000 ft and up with coffee pot or microwave. Have tested AC at 9000 ft and it ran fine. Remote start is an added bonus on those cold mornings. Hit the key fob and coffee is perking. DW likes the remote when cooking and ease for microwave use. A little heavy, but teenage son helps put it in truck. DW and I can manage it as well.

Hope this helps!
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Flatfive wrote:
OP here. Still reading these comments. Thanks, everyone, there is good information here, as always.

To answer some questions:
On our 9-month trip, we only used the Honda generator 3 or 4 times, but when we needed it, we really needed it, we were "dead in the water". We don't have a TV and all the lights are LED. In colder weather the heater fan seems to be the big drain.

This last trip, yes, the solar panels were tilted toward the sun and moved throughout the day. So close to the solstice, though, the angle is lower than the panels legs allow. Should have propped them up with a couple of rocks.

The Champion looks like the way to go. We are concerened about noise, but not like someone said "We can barely hear it in our RV". We are concerned for others nearby, maybe in tents who have to listen to it. We would respect the Generator Hours rule, of course.

Well said. By quadrupling your battery capacity and camping in mild weather, your need for a generator will be eliminated. If you want one for an emergency, that is another matter.

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Still reading these comments. Thanks, everyone, there is good information here, as always.

To answer some questions:
On our 9-month trip, we only used the Honda generator 3 or 4 times, but when we needed it, we really needed it, we were "dead in the water". We don't have a TV and all the lights are LED. In colder weather the heater fan seems to be the big drain.

This last trip, yes, the solar panels were tilted toward the sun and moved throughout the day. So close to the solstice, though, the angle is lower than the panels legs allow. Should have propped them up with a couple of rocks.

The Champion looks like the way to go. We are concerened about noise, but not like someone said "We can barely hear it in our RV". We are concerned for others nearby, maybe in tents who have to listen to it. We would respect the Generator Hours rule, of course.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
You can not discern 2dB with the human ear.

Your comment made me go do a little more research,

I was just about to apologize for my mistake.....then I noticed the bottom two lines on the chart:

An increase of 3 db is twice the power.
An increase of 10 db is 10X the power.

Maybe the use of the term "loud" is confusing matters.
Your original statement appears to be correct.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Flatfive wrote:
Now, we're looking for a generator. (We had borrowed a Honda 2000 for our big trip. They're great, but expensive)
We see Harbor Freight has an inexpensive generator but I read where people had bad experiences with them. Walmart has a "Sportsman" for a little more dough. Anyone used one of these?

Why abuse yourselves? ... if you consider the price of a Honda EU2000i excessive then consider a Champion 2000 watt inverter genset ... Supergen even sells refurbished ones for $369! :B

Agree on the champion 2000i.... great genny for half the price (or less) of a honda...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
or ................
Walmart.

Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
OP is gone..if that matters.
It never has before.

As far as Snarky, I blocked that guy over a year ago.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

That is seldom a factor after someone mentions generators. Or diesel, or weight distributing hitches, or ................

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would get two more batteries and 200+ watts on the roof before spending on a generator.

160w $115 local pick-up at SolarBLVD.com in Norco.

And if you are fine running on battery power you may only need a 1000 watt generator to keep the battery up. Space and weight is a premium with a small trailer. And before you buy a generator consider you may also need a good three stage converter to actually get a good charge on those batteries.

MrWizard
Sam Spade wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
You can not discern 2dB with the human ear.

Most people can.
The dB scale was set up the way it is partly because 1 dB is the smallest change that the human ear CAN discern.
And 3 dB is twice the audible power.

3db is twice the measured amount of 'induced energy' in the test instrument

It takes approx 10db measured gain, for the human ear to detect it as a doubling of sound level aka "that new amplifier sounds twice as loud as The old one"

Scientifically 3db is twice the sound energy
But to the human ear it is Not! Twice as loud
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
I often hear the red and blue guys say they last forever. They do not! I bought a new Honda 2000I it lasted three seasons and then developed a cylinder problem. Finally quit all together. It was going to cost more to fix it than to buy a new Champion 3100 invertor generator. I have been running the Champion for 4 seasons now and it has been flawless. There was a time when buying red and blue made sense, not anymore.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
For most things, quality trumps cheap if you plan on regular use.
If a new Honda or Yami isn't in your budget, look for a used one.
They literally run forever and you can tell how long they've run.
When u start it, the green light blinks for every 100 engine hours.
I've had jobsite ones, used, abused, never change oil, with 700-1000hours.
Bought a used one for myself. It looked like it was beat up. Didn't have 100hours on it.
$500.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
it's easy to toss out aggressive phrases like that without thinking twice. And probably without even realizing how they sound. Many of us have done the same. I'm not trying to be high and mighty. Just explaining, since you said you don't see it.

Your mileage may vary.

You know that, I know that.
All the regulars here know that. You need a thick skin and just let it slide.

What is inexcusable is when this happens to a newbee.