cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a nine-month cross-country trip with our 20-foot Prowler. Great fun and very few issues. We used a 110-watt solar suitcase (Renogy) which worked well and we rarely needed a generator. We sometimes had shore power but were able to go 3 days or so with just the collectors. Of course, it depends on the weather (clouds) and the location (trees). We need a lomger cable on the collector to enable us to pick a sunny spot even if we're in the trees. We started in early February and got home on Halloween, so we missed the days with little sun.
But this month, we went to the Anza-Borrego desert park in San Diego county. It was sunny but the sun angle was low and the batteries went dead after 3 days. Now, we're looking for a generator. (We had borrowed a Honda 2000 for our big trip. They're great, but expensive)
We see Harbor Freight has an inexpensive generator but I read where people had bad experiences with them. Walmart has a "Sportsman" for a little more dough. Anyone used one of these?
63 REPLIES 63

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Won't argue Gensets,but one thing to consider is run time between refueling.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have the answer to a loud generator running for more than a couple of minutes to make a pot of coffee, I turn my hearing aids off.:W

I tested the sound deading qualities and I can stand right next to a couple of DWs yakking up a storm at 110db :B and never hear a word.

:B
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I have heard the little Hondas at full song trying to run a few appliances. They are not silent.

Absolutely true, but you'd have a hard time convincing the masses when Honda, Yamaha, and pretty well every other manufacturer all brag about how "quiet" their inverter series gensets are. :R They're not, not by a long shot - which is why I built my own EU2000i Quiet Box, just to see how "quiet" I could actually make it. Considering the minimal cost it was pretty darned impressive, with noise being reduced to a mild hum hardly noticeable at all from 20' away. But it still wasn't "silent". :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I know things have changed since I retired, but "Jobsite" generators were terribly loud back in the day, nothing like today's Champion 3500/4000 watt models like I have now. I wonder how many of the desk jockeys ever fired up a generator to run the concrete vibrators? Made more noise than the ready mix trucks. I also know that it is popular to grab onto derogatory terms like "jobsite". 68db in a Walmart parking lot is not a big deal. 59db coming in through my open bedroom window is a lot. I have heard the little Hondas at full song trying to run a few appliances. They are not silent.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
CampbellDaycruiser wrote:
We can be pals no matter how loud your genset is, we would just rather you didn't camp next to us with a job site genny roaring away at 3600 rpm all day and most of the night.

That is easy, I don't camp next to people with any generator running night and day, I don't care how quiet "they" think theirs is. It's not and I have owned Hondas too.

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
We can be pals no matter how loud your genset is, we would just rather you didn't camp next to us with a job site genny roaring away at 3600 rpm all day and most of the night.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny. I don't automatically dislike people that have loud diesels or mow their lawns occasionally. But then again, I am not perfect. A $501 generator and we can be buddies?

MichiganTravele
Explorer
Explorer
Many campgrounds will set a limit on how many decibels (how much noise) your generator Makes. The construction type generators (like from Harbor Freight) are made for use on construction sites, not in campgrounds. Having camped next to someone with one of those $300-500 generators, I would not like you as a neighbor. We have the Honda 2000i and Companion that will supply 13.3 amps each. One of them will run all of the 110 volt (standard) outlets and systems in our 38 foot Cameo. If I want to make coffee, use the microwave, or the air conditioner, then I have to run both. With both of them running I can stand next to the exhaust and have a conversation without raising my voice. We have owned them for over five years, use them a lot and they are still in good shape. Go for quality not low cost.
Bob Wangen
Not all those who wander are lost!

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
All genies are made by humans..wait, maybe not anymore. Anyway, anything built by man includes mistakes.
My champion 2000s have never failed me from rv to working in the field or on remote job site to backing up the power in my shop on occasion. I've had the Hondas and like them as well, just not twice as much.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
After my response regarding the HFT's 2000W genset, I checked out the Champion 2000W genset. Pretty impressive and a few days ago I ordered on of the remanufactured ones. The owner ran the doorbell tonight and delivered the genset. Actually I ordered it at 3:14pm yesterday the 4th.

The shipping dept. forgot to include the accessories and the cover and Paul said he would mail out tomorrow.

While talking "Q" came up and he said they have been there for several years and will be again this year.

Tomorrow I'll get a gallon of gas and give it a go. If all goes well, HFT ghas an electric tree trimmer for $64.99 and with 20 percent off I'll get one for trimming the trees on the street going down to the flats from our house. Going to "Q" later if my epidural goes well and the beach the end of February so it'll get a good workout and Paul said if I wasn't happy with it he could sell it so he'd let me return it for a small fee.

I'll file a report end of Feb. first of March.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
samven1 wrote:
you may want to look at the small 1000w inverter gensets or even the 800w.
x2. The 1000w Honda is almost silent.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the op only uses the generator to charge batteries. I know its not a popular choice among those that run toasters and coffee pots but you may want to look at the small 1000w inverter gensets or even the 800w. They will handle most trailer and small class c converters as long as you are just charging batteries. They weight about 30 lbs and are 2 or 3 db quieter. They are also cheaper by several hundred dollars than the 2000w units. If you could get by with only using a gen a few times in several months these may be a better more economical choice.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good choice on thinking about getting a Champion 2000 inverter instead of the open frame noise maker that some people seem to think is OK.
You will like the Champion 2000.

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Honda 2000 and love it. So will your fellow campers.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy