cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

grab handle

salem
Explorer
Explorer
The handle you grab to go up the steps into the trailer is very loose. Two of the screws are coming out. It doesn't do any good to tighten them as they seem to be stripped. Any ideas as to how to tighten them. Someone here said try "lock-tight," but I've never used that and not sure if it would work. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Researching the web it may be just as easy to order a new unit. They come with all the hardware needed and run in the $30.00 - $35.00 range. The rubber on mine is pretty much gone and I have black tape wrapped around it. Time to class up a little.:) Thanks, everyone.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Does the wall appear to be solid or is it the common 1/10" and a hollow stud? If it is solid wood stud, any of the fill and reinstall may work. If it is hollow, use a jack rivet with a same size machine screw as the old wood screw, ie; #8 wood or sheet metal, use a 8 - 32 SAE machine screw.

Another trick that is better than toothpicks, is to sharpen a 5/16 birch dowl in a pencil sharpener, but a drill of the same taper and drill out the hole to a good fit, glue in hole and cut off the dowl drill a pilot hole and pilot drill for screw.

)
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I've removed the screws and find that the match trick probably won't work as there is not enough fiberglass for them to secure to. Maybe 1/8" - 1/4" thick. That wire around the screw sounds interesting. I may give that a try. On a positive note, the screws were not rusty. Thank goodness. If using a bigger screw as someone suggested, will it possibly cause the fiberglass to crack, or will it just expand like wood does? Thanks again. Oh, when I removed the screws pieces of plastic came out, so apparently it originally had some kind of plastic anchors.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that it matters much, but your fiber-glass Starwood looks to have a fold-out handle as standard?

It could also be that you need to angle the screws a bit towards the door frame where there will be a stud. You might even be able to notch the plastic bracket (that screws to the wall) to be able to move it closer to the door frame. I had to do that on a previous TT when retrofitting a larger handle.

If relocating the screw locations, use a pilot drill bit, esp. if the framing is aluminum. Wrap a piece of tape on the drill bit so you don't go too far.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
The stud might be aluminum tubing, check before using wood and wood glue. Matchsticks will only work on wood studs.

True. In that case, larger screw is the easy answer.
A variation to the match stick that works good too is stranded elect wire. Leave insulation on it. Same principle.
Or the fill with glue, epoxy etc. let it set up and re drill new holes. Again only for wood
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Lot's of things to try now.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
If the screws are rusty then you have water in there and the wood is rotting. All the matchsticks in the world won't help. You need Git-Rot.

Price is steadily going up. Last time I bought a package from West Marine for a job, it' was 45 bucks. It does work but it's expensive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I fully agree. Thread lockers no joy. Larger screw might work.

There are several products designed to work in a Hollow wall that might help.
Worst case repair takes careful measurement.. But here it is

Get a couple of metal plates roughly the same size as the "Footprint" of the mounts for the grab bar

DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH (Careful if you have a lighted handle you don't drill the wires)
also drill the plates (Same pattern as the mounts.. Three options here

1 Drill and tap I like this, (Thread locker will work on the threads here) and screw a screw into the plate from outside.. then cut off the excess bolt.

2: Reverse that. Drill to pass the bolt. then put a nut on the outside (Threadlocker works or use Nylock nuts) and cut off excess (Dremel)

3: Reverse 2: Drill to pass and use a nut on the inside.

NO way is that going to pull out. though it may still be loose it wont' pull out without leaving one heck of a hole in ye old wall.

On one more very labor intensive and expensive (usually) method I just used elsewhere.

Cut an opening. Slip some nice 2" plank (only a few inches) in there and slide it back and forth so it's well behind solid wall. Glass over it (Fiberglass body filler) paint, re-drill and sink those bolts into SOLID wood instead of the cheap thing stuff the wall is made of.

But that is a whole lot of work (normally.. In my case it was not the grab handle but something else and it was the only way to do it. also due to the size and shape the device bolted on covers the repair so no painting was needed. PAINT 60 dollars last time I bought some. That is JUST the paint.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the screws are rusty then you have water in there and the wood is rotting. All the matchsticks in the world won't help. You need Git-Rot.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
On mine, the screws on the back side needed tightening, not the front ones.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The stud might be aluminum tubing, check before using wood and wood glue. Matchsticks will only work on wood studs.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Remove handle. Shoot liquid nailes in the hole filling it. Let dry. Reinstall.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
A couple of small pieces of wood (matchstick sized) inserted into the hole with a couple drops of Elmer's glue on them, then put the screws back in and tighten. Try not to use the handle overnight.
Should be good the next morning.

X10

^^ THIS is the answer!
Buy a box of those long stick matches they are the just the right size for the job.

I've tried everything else and none of them work like the match stick method.

Use Elmer's 'Wood Glue' on the match stick. The screw wraps around the wood the glue makes a tight bond and and that screw won't wiggle ever again!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I've used that matchsticks/glue idea before on different things in the rig. Didn't even think of it for this. I'll give that a try since I have everything available. If it doesn't work I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks to you all.