cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

mwaites
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still reading this thread & I'm sure others are too. Thanks for the tips.

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has been going a while so I'm not sure anyone is reading 33 pages but here are a few of our hints:

I use a canvas shoe rack which I cut to fit
and mounted on an empty wall near the door. I use it to keep doggies poop bags, the leash, the bic fire clicker, and anything else you need to get regularly and don't want to leave outside. The lower pockets I use, of course, for shoes.

I cut sheets of magnetic plastic and place them over the floor vents to keep the dog hair, dust and dirt out. Course this only works when you don't need to use your heat. Just remove if you need to use the furnace. Keeps the air ducts clean.

I might be able to think of more but I haven't used my RV in five months and it is Easter sunday and only 27 degrees in upstate NY.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
HappyTrailsRVing wrote:
Last summer I bought myself an IPod and downloaded all my CD's on it.

We do the same thing! I love my iPods (I have two of them - long story!) and they are the best thing for long drives up here because we run out of radio for a good portion of our trips. I can just plug into the truck stereo and have music whenever and wherever. Just be careful HappyTrails...your iPod can get addictive!
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
:R We enjoy our music and have a large collection of CD's. When in motor home, it was storage space and weight. Also, changing to a new CD when it was over. Last summer I bought myself an IPod and downloaded all my CD's on it. Now all we have to do is plug it into radio in front of motor home and set it on shuffle. We get a verity of music all day long, with no repeats. Hubby bought me a small radio for bedroom where I can dock IPod in it and still more use. I also use it for my morning walks and thus got rid of my walkman.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

L_MMusic
Explorer
Explorer
I was getting so frustrated trying to read things in our camper, especially when I didn't have my reading glasses handy. The print is so tiny, or in a decorative color which I can't see easily. Is this button the one for the water heater or the water pump? Slide in or slide out? Porch light? Side light? Back light? Argh!!! My DH bought me a label maker: "P-Touch". It cost less than $30 and has eight fonts (I think), including vertical. I had a great time labeling everything that caused me grief. Now I can read it all, even without my glasses!
Melissa
Husband Larry
Cocker Spaniel Henry
2008 F-350 Dually Short Bed
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS
Reese 16K Hitch w/ Kwik Slide

Whatever you can do, or DREAM you can, BEGIN it. BOLDNESS has genius, power and MAGIC in it. (Goethe)

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
Here in AK the summers can sometimes be damp and thereby chilly. We camp in a lot of places without electric hookup, and hate to drain batteries and charge them over and over in a few days stay. With heater going constantly that was a problem. An electric blanket or similar was not an option. Purchased a light feather comfortor and a duvet cover of fleece and now I am toasty and comfortable. Best part is, we are rarely too warm with it and don't care if the heater cycles less! A low tech solution ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
This hint isn't really for camping -- however, it MAY come in useful if you're camping and have to do some hand sewing!

I read in a magazine that if you lick the needle EYE instead of the thread, the thread will go right in thru the eye. I didn't believe it -- but I can't see all that well (those needle eyes get smaller every year) so I thought I'd give it a try. And by golly -- it WORKS!
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

sharbra
Explorer
Explorer
These were prominently displayed at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation "Elk Camp" in Reno, Nevada last week. They do look to be as useful as advertised.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
The other day I received an email message about this product. It's called Tree-huggerz .

I picked one up today at a local sporting goods store. It's advertised as "the ultimate Campsite Organizer" and I think it will come in very handy for us.

We mostly camp in forest campgrounds and I hope we always have a tree!!!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

automap2002
Explorer
Explorer
As I'm just a weekender for a while my fishing pole holders made out of 2" PVC and the new PD 3 stage battery charger/converter and my Food Saver that I use for putting together the dry ingredient amounts in one bag and all sealed up it saves alot of time. Thanks for all of the wonderful tips makes the wife wonder why I'm always looking for new things to do to the trailer. Can't wait for the weather to get just a bit warmer.

everymilesamemo
Explorer
Explorer
Ryles wrote:
Everymilesamemory:

Please reconsider your hitch pin choice. As others have stated it is made of low quality pot metal and someone could easily remove it.

I would ask that you think about what is holding the pin part of that device in place. It's nothing more than a tiny little spring. If it gives way, the pin falls to the open position (the way it is situated on the trailer it will "fail open") and our pin then vibrates righ out of the receiver.

Everyone can use what they want, but I really encourage you to replace this for the safety of you, your family, and all of our families that share the road with you.

Ryles

Thanks for all the replies on this. After so many people showed me the error in my ways, I have now changed out the hitch pin that I had in that picture with a locking pin. Thanks for all the replies about this and I'm sorry I recommended it in the first place.

This is why this forum is so good for all RVers
Every Miles A Memory

Photo's of our Travels
When we realize our insignificance in this world,
it some how relieves the pressures from society to succeed
- Cindy Bonish

hook47
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner, great idea with the interior lights. My 5er has 2 scare lights on the back on the sides that come on when I put the TV in reverse.
2008 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4X4 CC / Banks IQ with Speedbrake & Economind tuner /2013 38RESB3...I know, the TV color doesn't match the MS!

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Ryles wrote:
Everymilesamemory:

Please reconsider your hitch pin choice. As others have stated it is made of low quality pot metal and someone could easily remove it.

I would ask that you think about what is holding the pin part of that device in place. It's nothing more than a tiny little spring. If it gives way, the pin falls to the open position (the way it is situated on the trailer it will "fail open") and our pin then vibrates righ out of the receiver.

Everyone can use what they want, but I really encourage you to replace this for the safety of you, your family, and all of our families that share the road with you.

Ryles

I may invest in a lock this year, But I have been using the pin on the toung for 24 years and yet to have a problem. But on the other hand, I just noticed the one on the reciever.....never in a million years. Thats an accident waiting to happen
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Ryles
Explorer
Explorer
Everymilesamemory:

Ryles

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
The center pin on my PU plug is the hot for the reverse lights. I picked up a couple of small (1.5" X 3.5") 55 watt flood lights from the auto parts store for $19 and mounted them on the TT bumper at a 45 degree angle from the corners. Then I ran a wire to the front of the TT and tied into the wire for the center pin on the TT plug. The wire was just taped off since it wasn't being used for anything. Now when we are getting to the camp site late at night I have no problem backing into a spot in the dark. I also mounted 2 more lights on the back of the PU by the hitch, again angled at 45 degrees. I ran the PU lights through a relay and mounted a small lighted switch on the dash. I should have done this 10 years ago.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne