cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I made a big mistake

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Back in February my wife and I bought a 2002 Winnie Adventurer 32V. Donโ€™t get me wrong, the Winnie is not a problem, I just bit off more than I can chew. The Winnie is so much of an upgrade from our 1990 Bounder 27D. Everything about it is an improvement over the Bounder. Itโ€™s a lot newer, it has the V10 with a Banks Power Pack, a better trans, there are two slides and it was the right color, size and most importantly it was low mileage and priced below NADAโ€™s Low Average Retail Price.

So what is wrong you wonder? Well at 76 six years of age, many years spent in physically demanding work and the onslaught of arthritis and sever lumbar stenosis, I canโ€™t work on the things that need doing like replacing a leaking hydraulic hose for the front slide, building cabinets to replace the bezels for the boat anchor TVs and even a little thing like polishing the outside skin are physically too much for me.

I knew these thing needed doing when we bought the RV, I didnโ€™t think much about that at the time and with the price being so good and knowing that there wouldnโ€™t be the crawling around putting the old 2โ€ X 8โ€ X 3โ€™ ramps down to level and other problems of owning a 27 year old rig, I let my heart and desires do my thinking.

This past week was a real revelation for me, we took the DGD with us for a week at the beach and when we got home after the very strenuous drive that should have been 2.5 hours that ended up 4.5 hours and then having to off load and prep it to go to storage, which by the way I enjoyed five years ago, I couldnโ€™t think straight I was so tired.

Outcome! After a long talk with the DW and getting her input we decided that a 5 or 6 year old Class B would have been a much better choice than the Winnie. Neither one of us can face ending our camping days at this point, the camaraderie of camp grounds and the places weโ€™ve been, and all the places we have yet to go, we just canโ€™t give that up yet. Told the Family on Monday and Tuesday and our daughters are so excited for us, the grandkids are relived that โ€œGโ€ Dude wonโ€™t be getting up on the roof to work and that they will still be able to camp with us, it is so great.

Weโ€™re going out to the storage yard this morning and talk with the owners about consignment and making arrangement to sell and OMG, off loading everything we have put in there since February. The daughter of one of the owners runs the office and is making sure that we will have a place to keep the โ€œBโ€ when we get it. It is such a big relief to know we will still be camping but wonโ€™t have to maintain a big olโ€™ RV and the toad. One car and one RV that can be a backup daily driver, how sweet it will be.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
23 REPLIES 23

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I sure understand what your going through. I have been thinking about it for some time.
I turn 83 in just about one more month. But last trip in June every thing went real great. It was almost 4000 miles round trip. So we are planing another trip in Sept. I feel I may just stay RVing for another few years. mainly because I love to travel.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I would think that after having all that room inside you will not be happy with a cramped B! A conversion van has more room!

Maybe look at some small C's or a B+? More room and still much smaller than what you currently have. Not to mention that B's are ridiculously overpriced for what they have to offer as an RV!

+ what george & lesley said

X2

as i read the thread, i recalled the size issues we observed w/ a motorhome squeezed into a van. unless you two intend to become mainly highway wanderers vs campground stayers w/ company/family, perhaps something a bit larger.

look at the LTV 24' B+ videos to get the ideas, and maybe you can find a similar MH but at a lower $

your downsize needs a specific target of function, ease, & low maint. best wishes
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm there myself (76), except that my health is still good enough to allow me to do all maintenance and repair on our 40 ft diesel pusher. I really feel for you, and it reminds me that I really don't have a plan for the future. We depend on the motorhome for traveling because my wife isn't doing as good as I am. The motorhome is the ONLY way to go, for us. It makes it so convenient for her, and her puppies.
I hope your new plan works for you,.....I kinda thing it will.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

eppersonwayne
Explorer
Explorer
I turn 75 sunday I know what you mean webought 2008 freelander 2 months ago some work to don but we are enjoyihg every other week age is only a number. I was trk driver for 43 yrs I feel your paine good luck pa pa

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we feel your pain. Since DH had a significant head injury 2.5 years ago, we haven't been able to get the coach out (he was the only driver).

Now, even though we're only 62 & 63, we're now having to fix a few major issues before putting ours up for sale.

Best of luck with the B.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Not a mistake, rather doing all you can to live to the fullest. Keeps your @ss from putting a permanent indent in the couch.
It's another new adventure, new rig, ability to take it places the big one wouldn't go......and less to pack with/fix/clean/maintain/park/store etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I can relate to your post as I am older than you. I still do my own work on my RV but it is harder to do after turning 70 and now nearly 80.
samsontdog:o:W

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Why not downsize the stuff and try again. The drive will be same in a C or B or in the car. Traffic is traffic.

Maybe the first trip was a bit big for getting acquainted with a new RV. Second and subsequent trip should be easier. Is there something just an hour away to enjoy?

After a long drive just take it to storage and come back in the car in a few days to get the stuff. If we have a long drive home we try to stay one more night close so the last day is not such a marathon.

If you are set on trading then fine. I am not convinced a B will significantly reduce the work or drive.

As for the repairs just find a handyman to do the heavy lifting or just let it age gracefully. Pace yourself and know your limits.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that after having all that room inside you will not be happy with a cramped B! A conversion van has more room!

Maybe look at some small C's or a B+? More room and still much smaller than what you currently have. Not to mention that B's are ridiculously overpriced for what they have to offer as an RV!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few thoughts. We just went the other way from a Sprinter B to a class A. Reasons? Several. Probably comfort was the biggest. If you want to stay in one place, a B gets cramped quickly. Ours had no insulation (Winnie ERA) bad was impossible to keep comfortable on a cold nit in the mountains. Maintenance is less on a B but not that much less, especially a diesel and they still use the same appliances and have the same caulking issues. Working underneath is nearly impossible, a A has much more room. Bath was fine but black tank was way too small.

Just a thought, maybe consider a small A or C with or without slides. Maybe find a local RV tech or general handyman to do the maint at a reasonable cost on the side after hours.

I would suggest trying a B rental before buying if you can. As a retired auto mechanic I am now resuming minor maint on our A because of room to work, work I had stopped doing on the B. BTW, I am 71 a stroke survivor and not able to do everything I used to but have found an A actually easier in some regards.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I know what you are going thru, I am 74 and after a lower back operation
we decided that the pop up was not the way to go, and that I had to start working smarter (finally) we traded it in on a Coleman lantern TT
and the first thing I did was put an electric jack on the front, and many mods to make life easier for us, also if a new idea comes along then I check it out. We will not give up or camping but will continue to upgrade things to make it easier and more enjoyable.
Good luck and Happy Camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you with your kind thoughts, we feel we have made a good decision and are anxious for fall and the chance to be on the road again. The decision was had to make, but it has sure changed the dynamics of our live already. Other than off loading all our personal stuff and culling that down to a reasonable volume which is really a lot more work than we thought it would be, there is a lot less tension about travel.

Bless all of you and we hope to see many of you in our wandering around the USA and Canada. If you see a Class B with the inscription "Not All Who Wander Are Lost", stop and say Hi.

West Beachhouse, the DW and the DDs and many of our friends graduated from 1956 through 1960 and then 1980 through 1982. I'm a Panther but they forgave me long ago.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad you figured it out what would work for you.

Dad will be 87 in a few months, he is slowing down some. He was thinking of quitting in the last few years, but decided to buy a new toyhauler and new UTV (side by side) to go in it. He is still enjoying but I noticed he is slowing down and limiting his camping to parking at his sister's place (rural forested). He is even leaving the UTV there when he comes home, next he will leave the trailer there for the summer perhaps. We told him when he did not feel comfortable towing, we would tow it for him to his sister's place.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I think you've made a smart decision. We bought a used Sprinter B five years ago, Took it on trips lasting weeks or months, and loved it.

Many class B RVs are designed inside much like a boat, with cabinetry fitted into curves and crannies to maximize use of space. B owners figure out how to put items used daily in the easy-access cupboards. You'll find all kinds of handy items like the Pico camp chairs that fold to the size of a laptop.

After DH had hip replacement surgery December 29 one year, we were on the road in the B again by early February. The surgeon signed off on it (with short days and regular stops) because a B is not much different than driving an SUV.

Enjoy it!