cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

insurance increase

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our annual bill from state farm ins co and our fifth wheele just jumped up a 100 more per year. Our 5h wh is 7 years old. We have a clean driving record& have all our other ins with them. Has anyone else had an insurance increase. We will begoing to their ofice either on friday or if theyare closed on monday.
Southbound
31 REPLIES 31

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
I grew up in Bloomington Illinois, which is where the home office for State Farm Insurance is located. You would think that many of my friends and relatives that live in that area would use them for their insurance needs.

Well, you would be wrong. No one that actually shops around uses them anymore. They generally have the highest rates of any insurance company.

It amazes me that folks will drive across town to buy gasoline .02 a gallon cheaper but will stay with the same insurance agent for 20 years and probably spend an extra $10,000.00 over that time span for expensive insurance.

I understand what you and many of the others have said. But, while you are shopping for cheaper insurance make sure that the new coverage covers all the stuff that old one did. Sometimes cheaper coverage is cheaper because it covers almost nothing.

I'm not saying that there are not good and maybe cheaper policies out there I'm just saying make sure you know what you are buying.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in Bloomington Illinois, which is where the home office for State Farm Insurance is located. You would think that many of my friends and relatives that live in that area would use them for their insurance needs.

Well, you would be wrong. No one that actually shops around uses them anymore. They generally have the highest rates of any insurance company.

It amazes me that folks will drive across town to buy gasoline .02 a gallon cheaper but will stay with the same insurance agent for 20 years and probably spend an extra $10,000.00 over that time span for expensive insurance.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
There are better insurers out there to insure an RV with. State Farm is not schooled in insuring RVs and lacks the skills to meet the needs of RV customers. Ya! Ya! I know there is someone out their that State Farm just did swell for. They are the exception. State Farm is great for your car, your pickup, etc, etc, or your home. My experience with them on RVs was exxxxpensive. All of my other vehicles are with them and the houses and everything have gone up this year. They have to cover all those fire, mud slide, auto losses, etc, that they have incurred this year.
jwmII

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our results on our camper ins. Talked to our agent and she went over all our policies. The camper ins she could do nothing about as state farm increased it, the good news was that she was able to reduce all our other ins , as we don't do as much driving anymore on a daily basis . We were driving 2 hours every day to work . So happy new year to all of you.
Southbound

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
I shop mine every yr. If they can't reduce my premium by at least 10% I tell them to shove it. Wait, maybe it's because I dropped comp, collision, ers, adb, etc. Who knows. :h

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I had SF ins for years. Our daughter had a minor fender bender and they dropped us with NO explanation. They've been trying to get us to come back for the last 30 years and each time I just tell them to shove it.

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Thank youall for your input, the local agency is closd this friday so we will wait until monday & let you all know the result. Hope you all had a merry christmas.
Southbound

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't agree more with the Shop Around crowd. Last year after another $100 increase in both my auto and Homeowners I called and asked for a rate review. I was given a token decrease after being with Liberty Mutual for over 40 years with an excellent payment and claim history. I then shopped around and got the same coverage for home and auto and a $1 million Umbrella policy for a little more than half of what I was paying Liberty Mutual. When I called to cancel they acted hurt and asked for another chance to keep my business. I gave them the chance but they couldn't even erase the $100 increase they were asking for. A year later I have excellent coverage from a great company for about half of what I was paying. SHOP AROUND! call an insurance broker who handles many different lines.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Go ask your agent why there was a sudden increase. Then let us know what he said, I'm curious.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
For many years I have always shopped around at insurance renewal time. I always compare the shopped policies with the one at time of renewal.

There is usually a significant difference in quoted rates and over the past 50+ years I have had insurance with only three companies. At present, in November, I have renewed with the same company over the past 8 years.

I have noticed at various times over the years, that sometimes I get a quote from an agent that is way out of the norm from other quotes. I normally expect a variation of a few hundred dollars per year between quotes. I also let my current insurance agent know that I am shopping before renewal. Perhaps this helps to keep my rates low. I have not had any rate increase for five years.

The two previous insurance companies that I did not renew, did raise rates and I changed for that reason. One of those agents was never able to tell me why the premium rate went up so high that year. So I changed companies.

The second agent told me that the premium renewal rate was raised for the reason that I had filed a claim during the year. I had not filed any claim. I told the agent that if he, and or the company, could prove that I had filed a claim then I would renew with him. He could not prove any claim, so I went with the company that I now insure with.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
I had Allstate for many years and on a friends recommendation shopped around and got a much better price. The Allstate agent was ticked when I cancelled and asked why. I said I found a much better price, she said well you should have asked and we could have done better. Duuuuhhhh!!!! Are you serious????

That's funny. "We'll rip you off until you do something about it". Nice.

Shop around but be aware price isn't the only thing to consider. Make sure they have good customer service and good claims service.

Years ago an insurance company I had wanted to put junkyard parts on a less than a year old car.

A couple of years ago my neighbor backed into my car. I chose to use my own insurance company and have them go after her's so I wouldn't have to deal with her insurance company. My insurance company did everything right, the repair was perfect and immediate, but the other insurance (geico) took almost six months to pay the claim. And that was considering there was no doubt the accident was her fault!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I had Allstate for many years and on a friends recommendation shopped around and got a much better price. The Allstate agent was ticked when I cancelled and asked why. I said I found a much better price, she said well you should have asked and we could have done better. Duuuuhhhh!!!! Are you serious????

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance rates will increase based on claim experience, change in age bracket, claim experience for item insured, and change in location.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
robsouth wrote:
I got notified of a "class increase" to all insured that had the same class insurance. Wasn't just me. I suspect your increase is the same. Most all insurance companies do it from time to time based on there experiences with the "class".

Ah, it has something to do with class. Should I be insulted that they didn't raise my rates?:@

Same here........

Was with National Interstate for 7 yrs....only one increase and that was minor and due to change of 'address'. Had 2 claims
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31