cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting tidbits from RVTravel

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A proposed campground along the California/Mexico border has stirred up interest and controversy. At least one San Diego county official is pushing for a campground in the 1,800 acre Tijuana River Valley Regional Park. Pressured by a mandate to develop affordable tourist lodging on the coast, county supervisor Greg Cox says heโ€™d like to see a campground fill that role. But U.S. Border Patrol officials arenโ€™t keen on the idea. 'Over 3,200 of the 5,300 arrests in the Imperial Beach sector occurred within the immediate vicinity of the proposed campsites. Twenty-five percent of those apprehended had prior criminal convictions in the United States and some of the illegal crossers were documented gang members,' says a letter from the patrolโ€™s sector chief.

And another article

An Oregon RV park is going to pot โ€“ or is it up in smoke? Grow Condos, an Eagle Point, Ore., company that provides completely outfitted marijuana growing 'condos' for lease, wants to branch out. Their vision? A dope-smoking friendly RV park near Lake Selmac called โ€“ what else โ€“ Smoke on the Water. Grow Condos already has a deal in the works to buy Lake Selmac Resort & RV Park, south of Grants Pass. If the deal goes through, not only would pot smoking be the order of the day, guests could purchase pot from an on-site dispensary.

Now, there's another thread going on here that talks about an untapped market for a niche RV. Sure how this Oregon RV park isn't the beginning of something like that.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS
24 REPLIES 24

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the most part, we don't prefer the Oregon coastal areas - even during the summer they can kindof be cold and blustery.

But inland Oregon - that's a whole nuther world entirely. Wide open and beautiful country with no reservations required that makes you feel like you're stepping and camping back in time. Priceless!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
RvNewbieFl wrote:
EV2 wrote:
Keep us posted on Oregon. Possibly a financial opportunity for a sweets shop. ??

If Oregon wasn't cold and had a beach... I would go in half on a sweets shop... lol

Might wanna take a closer look at that map in your signature

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
That Oregon park sounds pretty cool. Take advantage of the legality and go to town. That would be a really laid back campground for sure.
What I'm wondering is if people would end up posting Rants about their neighbors grow lights keeping them up at night. ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW! I've never been so anxious to travel to So Cal as I am now.
Actually, being from Idaho, I'm not certain I would be allowed in Cali. We did have what we thought to be a protester the other day, but it turned out to be a guy running with bees after him.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
navegator wrote:
The Tia Juana river runs trough the propsed campground where Greg Cox (he is an idiot) wants to build an RV park, that area floods evey time it rains in Southern California, that river starts in the US then croses in to Mexico at Tecate and then back to Mexico in Tijuana, it picks all the manure from the cow ranches near Tecate and all the "latreens" in Tijuana, the black water in your RV is cleaner than the river flow during the rainy season, when the fire department has to do a river resque they go with full hazmat protection.

That is why we that live in Imperial Beach say IB where the turds float in the surf, some years it is so bad that the contamination reaches Coronado and North Island, that proposal is really a bad idea.

navegator

You never have anything good to say about Mexico, do you?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Near Demming, New Mexico we started to stop at what had been a KOA.
After looking it over, no way.
Talking to some Folks at a Mexican restaurant in or near Demming, about it, they related it was where Illegal and Drug mules held up and not a good idea to stop there. As we had driven through we notices some People scrambling around with bed rolls or something.
We washed our toad at a car wash right near the border crossing. Subjected to a lot of scruitney.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
bikendan wrote:
JT wrote:
"If Oregon wasn't cold and had a beach...."
----
No "beach"? This news must be a big surprise to the many thousands of residents - and millions of visitors - who live, work, and play along the roughly 365 miles or the Oregon *coast*! :h

I wondered the same thing.
Maybe he got Oregon mixed with Utah.:R

Maybe it was "Ore Gun" he was thinking of and not "Ore e Gun" or vice versa. :B

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RvNewbieFl wrote:
EV2 wrote:
Keep us posted on Oregon. Possibly a financial opportunity for a sweets shop. ??

If Oregon wasn't cold and had a beach... I would go in half on a sweets shop... lol

Yes we have beaches, surf, and yes surfers! Just yesterday we saw at least six surfers off Yaquina Bay's south jetty.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
All U.S.-side campgrounds along the border with Mexico will soon be safe(er).

To get this safety you'll only have to tolerate the south side of the campground being a concrete wall. But enjoy it while you can early as possible after the wall is completed ... cuz soon after completion you'll be looking at an even uglier concrete wall plastered with graffiti. :R
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
JT wrote:
----
No "beach"? This news must be a big surprise to the many thousands of residents - and millions of visitors - who live, work, and play along the roughly 365 miles or the Oregon *coast*! :h

Utah has sandy beaches and salt water for swimming.
No surf, though.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
JT wrote:
----

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The Tia Juana river runs trough the propsed campground where Greg Cox (he is an idiot) wants to build an RV park, that area floods evey time it rains in Southern California, that river starts in the US then croses in to Mexico at Tecate and then back to Mexico in Tijuana, it picks all the manure from the cow ranches near Tecate and all the "latreens" in Tijuana, the black water in your RV is cleaner than the river flow during the rainy season, when the fire department has to do a river resque they go with full hazmat protection.

That is why we that live in Imperial Beach say IB where the turds float in the surf, some years it is so bad that the contamination reaches Coronado and North Island, that proposal is really a bad idea.

navegator

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:
I personally would NEVER EVER camp that close to the border without there being a giant wall around the CG. The influx of people coming through the border is crazy around SD and theft is rampant. Not like a camper is very secure.

As far of the Oregon CG, while I have no problem with pot I can just see that place turning into another wanna be Burning man with 100.00 trailers painted like 3rd grader did it.

Chris

Just a note:

Big Bend Natl Park is right on the US Mexico Border. One of the nicest campgrounds is mere feet from the river (the border). There are no fences to be seen along the border anywhere thank god. and we never saw a single person on the Mexican side.

There was one curiosity though. I noticed the campground itself was surrounded by what appeared to be a barbed wire cattle fence but it was smooth wire ...no barbs. This is unusual for a National Park so I asked the Ranger about it and he said " It's to keep the UDB"s out of the campgroound.

I looked at him quizzically and he explained; "Undocumented Bovines...Mexican cattle are the only thing crossing the border."

JT
Explorer
Explorer
----