cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 70 the age to stop towing

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I think maybe if you drive a motorhome at 70 you are safe, but pulling anything behind it is not safe.
So big a world, so little time to see.
373 REPLIES 373

puttd
Explorer
Explorer
I assume i can forgo forwarding this to my 87 year old aunt and uncle who are merrily planning their next trip to alaska in a truck camper??

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
It's great reading these replies from some older folks who are still out RVing. I love it! I'm nearly 42, so a ways back from some of yall, but still a long way from 22.

My dad got sick with Lou gehrigs disease at 48, died at 55, so I'm hoping to fare better than he did. I hope to be physically active and still able to RV when I'm 70. ๐Ÿ™‚ so i say if your physically capable, why not continue doing what you love? I love camping and life is short. Just my .02.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
I quit flying airplanes and riding Harley's at 65 because I just felt the time was right. I'm 70 and plan on RV'ing until 75 and then give up the keys.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I disagree and will be 68 this year. Hitching up my TT doesn't require much muscle or quickness. The WD bars aren't that heavy and that's the only lifting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to you SC, Yes. Might as well check yourself into a nursing home while you're at it. ๐Ÿ˜›
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Oh how we enjoy the lifestyle and I wish I was only 70. When we bought the Winnie last Feb, it was my first over 86" in width, that did take some getting used to. The Big ole V10 did too. Darn that thing doesn't know I can't think seventy MPH.

Oh well, when one of the kids or grandkids wants it they can fight me for it.

PS: DGD an I are starting a 10' teardrop trailer built next year so she can take off for a getaway after she graduates from High School next June.

Maybe she is to young to tow a teardrop.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I just discovered the circled X to the right of topic. I will put it to use on subjects like this. 77 and still towing.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
I think maybe if you drive a motorhome at 70 you are safe, but pulling anything behind it is not safe.

Age has nothing to do with it. I'm 70 and will be towing a camper for just the second season this year. I can't imagine quitting just because of my age. In fact, I'd much rather be towing my TT than wrestling a 40 foot bus around.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I am 73 and I still pull my TT and will continue to do so..I have no problems driving, pulling and backing up or setting up..Why should I quit doing what we love ?
You rock NineOaks! ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
EVERYONE with a driver's license should be road tested every 5 years to prove competence behind the wheel. Age is irrelevant if the skills remain good.

There are a lot of 30 year olds out there who should have their licenses revoked, based on what I see on my daily commute!!!!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of people at half that age that shouldn't be anywhere near a vehicle or road.

I'm over 70 and still in good health and mind. No intentions of giving up yet.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly hope that 70 isn't the cut off age! I just turned 69 and recently bought a new 5th wheel and Duramax truck! I hope to keep RVing for the next 10 years!

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Irelands child wrote:
What a ridiculous thread subject. Age is no longer a barrier. It's physical and mental health along with a positive attitude that counts.

:R Of course it is. One of the stupidest threads I've ever seen.
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Is 70 the age to stop towing

Hope not.
The man will be 73 y/o on his next birthday and he'll start towing soon. If he wasn't competent I'd prolly take my driving lessons more seriously.......oops.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Supercharged wrote:

I'm 73 year old now, driving a 29 ft. Ford 450 MH. but thinking of pulling a car next year. Carry a 400 Honda along now on the rear.

Those of you who have not kept up with the OP (Supercharged) he makes these posts to generate conversations. It appears he's over 70 and still driving - just like thousands of other qualified seniors. ๐Ÿ™‚

Long trip, 33 days, get back and two days later in the Hospital for 8 days, on top of that got the flu. Had to cancel a 30 day trip with the RV that leaves tomorrow, not up the full speed yet, feel like the supercharger belt came off.
Remember at 70 just put the keys to the RV up, put on the depends big boy underwear and and sit by the widow in the rocker and watch the cars go by.
So big a world, so little time to see.