cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Level rv-refrigerator

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Does my motorhome need to be level regrding the refrigerator if it is not being used? Doug
14 REPLIES 14

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Modern absorption reffigerators tolerate 3 degree side to side, 7degree front to rear off level for extended times without harm. If you can walk in the unit without troubles, your fridge is fine.
There was a time when perfectly level was critical, no more.

Well, what does "modern" mean? What's the cutoff year that makes it not so critical?

IMWTK ๐Ÿ™‚

Some time in the 1987-'88 era.
I parked my then new 1984 Aljo 5th wheel trailer beside my barn on limestone crusher run. The barn protected the trailer from the sun however north/south and east west was not level. After 5 years or the Dometic fridge quit cooling (strong ammonia odor). Hole burnt in the tube caused by operating quite a bit out of level.
Replaced the old Dometic with a new one which came with the new 3 degree side to side operation.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The old fridges with a pilot flame seemed more sensitive than the modern 2-way fridges of today that are quite tolerant.
For storage or non-use as long as it is somewhat upright all will be fine.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Brownleaf wrote:
Does my motorhome need to be level regrding the refrigerator if it is not being used? Doug

Not in use, shut off? It absolutely doesn't need to be level or even close to level. You could store it on it's side of you want to...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 travel trailer manual states 3 degrees side to side and 6 front to rear.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Modern absorption reffigerators tolerate 3 degree side to side, 7degree front to rear off level for extended times without harm. If you can walk in the unit without troubles, your fridge is fine.

Well, what does "modern" mean? What's the cutoff year that makes it not so critical?

IMWTK ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Its a 2004 absorption type. Doug

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
If itโ€™s one of the new 12 volt compressor fridges it doesnโ€™t matter if itโ€™s running or off.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

OP
^This, for when operating/in use. I've seen 3&6 deg as published limits before.
Remember this is with respect to how the fridge is oriented, not the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
True for a running refrigerator. But for this question the refrigerator is turned off. If the refrigerator is off it does not need to be stored level
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thanks,Doug

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No, as long as not being used, means shut off.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No but many of us start the fridge a couple of days before we leave, so leveling at home or in storage is necessary.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
NOPE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C