cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights on?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A serious question, with no judgements, to people who leave their porch or other outside lights on all night while camping: why do you? This past weekend, and many other times I've noticed folks who do this. Is it safety? Keep critters away? Just forget? Something else?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
127 REPLIES 127

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I don't leave anything bright on. I turn on the running lights on my trailer at night. My girlfriend sometimes takes her dog out in the middle of the night. Just bright enough not to trip over something.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We are on a permanent site and leave our lights on all the time. So does everyone around us. The neighbor behind us has lights all around his RV cover. It's fun and festive and we are in a very social campground. With that said, if a new neighbor moved in and asked us to turn our lights off when we got to bed, I wouldn't think twice to do as requested. It's not a big deal to us either way.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We rarely will turn on our porch light. Only if we are looking for something real quick. And then it's off. We will use a flash light for the most part.

As someone else mentioned, it just allows someone who is going to steal something the ability to see better. Lights don't keep burglars away. Matter of fact did you know that most home burglars enter through the front door and not the back where it may be darker or out of view?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
mikensallyt wrote:
Why the gripe? OMG! If the light is bothering you, close your shades.

Many of us like to sit OUTSIDE and enjoy the evening without intrusive light from the next site.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I love seeing how 80% of the replies here are "I didn't mean to do it"

We prefer it as dark as possible, and I've asked commercial CGs to locate me away from streetlights or other light sources.

Nothing like popping out of the TT in the middle of the night to actually see the Milky Way.

Last trip we ended up moochdocking next to a small airport. During the day the skydivers were great entertainment. At night there was some rotating light that wasn't so wonderful (but luckily far enough away to be only a minor issue).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
Funny (not really) somebody is curious and asks a simple question then gets slammed for it.

Its really sad how this world has really come to "its all about me"
No consideration of others at all anymore.

How about some of the unwritten Rules , Common Sense , Common Courtesy ,Common Decency .

Nope rules have to posted and if not listed ,it must be fine to do then ....

X2
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Funny (not really) somebody is curious and asks a simple question then gets slammed for it.

Its really sad how this world has really come to "its all about me"
No consideration of others at all anymore.

How about some of the unwritten Rules , Common Sense , Common Courtesy ,Common Decency .

Nope rules have to posted and if not listed ,it must be fine to do then ....

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
It allows for would be burglars to see what they are doing. :B

I suppose that was meant to be humorous, but, actually, I totally agree!
That is why I refuse to have so-called "security lights". I WANT the trespassers to stumble around in the dark!
As for exterior RV lights, I have always felt that it was one of two things:
1. The RV owner is a city person, and has never been where the only light is starlight. They are afraid of the dark.
2. Somebody forgot to turn the light off.
My only thought is; "That poor soul, so fearful or forgetful!"
Either way, it must be a terrible thing to live with.

You forgot choice number #3. It's a free country. Along as they are not breaking any rule there freedom trumps your condescending attitude.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
mis Post

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
mikensallyt wrote:

If you are in a National Forrest back to nature environment on a beautiful starry night, your attitude is extremely inconsiderate, rude and selfish.

If you are in more of a social RV park environment, it seems that a conspicuous light display is expected.

....so, it depends!

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
I sleep with my eyes closed so the lights are not a problem. :B
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
I didn't see a gripe, just a simple question.:R

Agree, I didn't see a gripe either...just someone "wondering" why lights might be left on

Nothing wrong with the enquiry at all....Only time I leave my porch light or scare lights on is if I've forgotten about them..(but I don't turn these lights on that often anyway)....I have camped around people who turned on their scare lights at night time, turn them off during the day and back on again at night....no idea why, but didn't bother me, but have to admit that I WAS curious as to why.:h
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If mine is on all night it's because I forgot about it.
If spaces are close together it's rude to leave it on and light up your neighbors bedroom.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Four years ago at a National Park we left a meeting about 11:00 pm and found all the lights in the parking lot and surrounding area were off and we couldn't find our car. Fortunately another attendee had a small LED flashlight and helped us out. Since that night we always carry one of those 9 led freebies from Harbor Freight. Starlight and moonlight is so much nicer than flood lights and the only time I left my porch light on was years ago when I had left it on while we were at a play depicting MIW's Long Winter with the DGKs and forgot to turn it off when we returned.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
We have a seasonal site. When we chose the site, we paid close attention to what other seasonals around this site had for lights, gnomes and the like. We were happy with what we saw at that time -- very few lights, etc. then, a new seasonal moved in to the site across from us. This guy has, without exaggeration, at least 1,000 bulbs of one sort or another on his site lighting it up like it's daytime at midnight. Needless to say, we aren't happy with it, but there's really nothing we can do about it. This guy paid for his site just like we did and there's nothing in the campground rules about light pollution.

I just don't understand why somebody would want to go into the middle of the woods and light it up like it's Chernobyl.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers