cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights on?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A serious question, with no judgements, to people who leave their porch or other outside lights on all night while camping: why do you? This past weekend, and many other times I've noticed folks who do this. Is it safety? Keep critters away? Just forget? Something else?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
127 REPLIES 127

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
It is cus i want to. :B

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The porch light is left on to keep evil spirits from entering the home.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
the older we get the more we forget.....
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
separated1 wrote:
I keep mine off too. Don't want to bother anyone who's trying to sleep. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you! People might say if you don't want the light shining through your bedroom window, close the shade. Well, that usually cuts off the nice breeze coming through. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

separated1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine off too. Don't want to bother anyone who's trying to sleep. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm the one that has to go to the trouble and expense of replacing burnt out bulbs we only leave them on when we need them.

And I don't see a need to light up the outside when everyone's inside.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how new this is, but I am seeing more (mostly FW) trailers with their marker lights turned on, all night. It's an attention-getter. I'm not a fan of it.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
It allows for would be burglars to see what they are doing. :B

I suppose that was meant to be humorous, but, actually, I totally agree!
That is why I refuse to have so-called "security lights". I WANT the trespassers to stumble around in the dark!

There is some research that supports that crime goes up when security lights turn on. Think about it, if it is dark and a light appears then there a possibility of nefarious activity occurring.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
hardly ever use mine. but when i do, its hard not to notice them on due to the orange glow i can see outside my door window.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I left mine on once in over 10 years. I needed something from the toad at night. Turned it on, got what I needed, and came back inside with my hands full. I just simply forgot to turn it off. At least that side of my 'C' was facing the woods, so I hope it didn't annoy anyone. In KOAs, where I usually stay, there is usually some lighting in the CG, but I rarely notice it. I have blackout shades in my 'C'.
The way I look at it, if I don't want light inside at night, its up to me to keep it out. That's the reason for the blackout shades. Depending on others to be considerate is a fool's errand.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
You go to a campground with 150 - 600 sites all packed in next to each other and expect it to be totally dark. Maybe it's not your neighbors that's the problem, maybe it's your expectations.
I have to agree. To expect darkness is unrealistic in a large campground.

Now in a small campground in a remote area you might have better luck.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I shut my shades if the light is too much. I have some serious lights if my neighbors are scared..............
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Landroamer1
Explorer
Explorer
I set me led strip on yellow or red and dim it all the way down . Just enough light to see the steps
14 GMC 2500 HD D/A 2018 Wildcat 375 MC

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, and I'm actually really pleased by the responses and civility of of the thread, especially over 9 pages! Thanks to all of you for that!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I asked this same question a number of years ago and had my a$$ handed to me too... ๐Ÿ™‚

What I learned is everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do while in their camp site and that's fine... They also critique and judge what everyone else is doing in their camp site as well.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I do the same thing..

That's part of the experience of it I guess.. ๐Ÿ™‚

But, I always seem to end up having a great weekend anyway.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy camping everyone!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.