cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looks like we might give up the RV Lifestyle (gasp!)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our Endura close to two years ago. While we have missed some aspects of RVing, as time goes by we miss it less and less. As we were driving home from the Boston RV show we kind of had an epiphany. For what we would spend on the set-up we want, we are starting to hit the bottom end of what we can get a cottage on a lake for. So we started analyzing all the bits and pieces, mostly dogs, time factor, and where we live. We did take our dogs with us on a number of occasions, but we are explorers. It's not unusual for us to leave at 9 a.m and return at 9 p.m. That's not fair to the dogs Fortunately we have a great doggie hotel they love and that loves them. We don't want to take them where it's really hot because being "yankee" dogs they don't deal well in the heat. More of an issue is where we live and our inability to get more than a week or two at a time off of our jobs. We can only get so far in that short time frame. Driving the eastern seaboard can also leave one with VERY frazzled nerves, and we've discovered the 2 day drive back from somewhere in the Carolinas or Kentucky/Tennessee often leaves us feeling like we were never on vacation. Last Saturday we took the day and scouted cottages along a number of lakes about 2.5 hours from the house. The thought of being able to just hop in the truck with the dogs and some clothes without the hassles of hooking up, finding strange places, etc., is becoming more appealing, at least for now. The Springfield RV show is in a few weeks and we'll probably make the trek out there anyway but my gut feel is our RVing days are at least temporarily done. All subject to change of course!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
57 REPLIES 57

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
You have listed some of the reasons why you might not want to go back to an RV.But think about the taxes and upkeep on a property.My dad had a cabin on the river.We used it alot the first 5 or so years,then less and less and after while it became a real chore as we only got there a few times a year to enjoy it,but we still had to go down every week and cut the grass.There was always something to do to keep it up.He eventually sold it.You said you only get 2 weeks vacation.That's what my wife gets so we don't take many long trips.We usually travel from 1 to 4 hours.We have alot of state and federal parks within a 4 hour range.We go in on a Sunday and leave on Wednesday.We also use the RV if we have friends or relatives comming from out of town.For us,the RV made more sense than the cabin.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Pry the steering wheel out of my cold dead hands. Been RVing since late 80s and really enjoy the places it takes us. Do not think I can give that up.

In your situation it sounds like you are ready to do so. Do what is best for you.

Good Luck.

Pogoil.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe: You don't have to convince us. You have to do what is best for you.

I came to realize that full timing is a constantly evolving and changing process.

Life, in general, is the same, always changing.

Sorry to see you go, but enjoy your next adventure!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, we have flown all over the world(except Africa) and owned oceanfront and property in a ski area. The ocean property was labor intensive, I can no longer ski or stream fish but RVing is still great. I would sell the ski area property in a heartbeat and as our S&B is small, keep that but travel in No America extensively in a NEW more efficient MoHo that I like and the DW approves of.

I have winter allergies and not being here is the best solution for fixing them. DGKs are growing up fast and love travel with us but don't have much time what with finding a love of school(they hate to miss any of it) and social activities and friends...

DW still wants to fly all over and I have come to hate it. I want to spend our money on us but in the areas I enjoy and flying is no longer fun for me. I'd park the RV in Pine Ridge for a month and go native or just explore that general area. I'd stop in New England for two or three months and explore. But the classic Bounder we have is not real happy with old age and wants to sit in one place more and more.

It's a hard choice and I'm sure it will work out for you one way or another. Good luck and take time to smell the roses at the side of the road.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like you have thought this through well enough. Is it the right answer for everyone? Nope. But if it is the right answer for you, that is all that matters. There are maintenance issues with any of our toys. Go and enjoy!
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
What about a seasonal site somewhere. Would be a whole lot less than the purchase price of a cottagae. Enjoy whatever direction you take.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, Crowe!
We've had our summer cottage since 1999 and our Roadtrek since 2004. We can park our little rig right outside the cottage, where it sometimes does duty as a guest cottage. We have some favorite campgrounds we love to visit, along with friends and relatives where we can driveway camp. And when we feel like a day on the road or a trip to the mall we take the RT (along with fridge, microwave, AC and potty) for comfortable traveling. And of course our dog goes with us! Maybe a downsize would work for you!
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I fully understand the maintenance issue, but we also found the maintenance issues on the Endura to be a PITA at times. Just finding a place to do an oil change on that sized vehicle was a challenge. We did find a one-man shop not far from the house that was great.

We've rented cottages, cabins, condos, and hotels over the years. Problem with rentals is many of them don't take pets. We also want to have the ability to go away weekends without much planning. Finding a campground during peak season up here can be difficult at best, and there's so little open during the winter months. During our drive around the lakes last weekend there were people out skating, snowmobiling, and fishing. We decided our approach to winter is all wrong-we need to learn how to enjoy it rather than fight it as long as we are living in it. A cottage, cabin, or 4 season home would make that easier. Jobs right now are particularly stressful but sometimes just a change of scenery for a day or two is the cure.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
One thing you need to understand is a cottage is a whole new set of maintenance. Only this time it's not just sitting in your driveway so you can do it after work. Generally speaking every weekend you have to go there to cut the grass, then there's another yard full of leaves to be raked in the fall, as well as routine maintenance like window cleaning, shrubs to trim, gutters to clean, etc. Most times it also means there is a docks to put in and take out (this is not a one man job), boats that have to be winterized, and more.

Now I say all those not to discourage you, just so you know going in a cottage is not all a vacation on the beach. You're grandkids will have a blast, you'll spend some time fishing and at least a day every weekend doing chores. I tell you this from experience.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
We recently sold our cottage, so I guess that I might have a different take on it than you. Over the years (14) that we owned it, we had a lot of fun with the family and friends. Our cottage was the "Hangout" for them all. Our kids grew up water skiing, swimming and in winter we snowmobiled. In retrospect, it seems worth it. It was a good decision for that time in our life.

Cottages are a lot of work though. It is another house to keep up and maintain. Just be sure that you are ready for that part of it.

Through it all, we always had our motorhome (3 different ones). We have decided to be more mobile now. I guess that I will only have the motorhome to work on now.:B

Another possibility would be to rent a cottage at the lake for a couple of weeks and leave the work to the owner. Or a condo on the water without the work.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
More and more I find the saying to be true

'What others think of you is none of your business'

so I now enjoy what I want and am more content than before.

Enjoy whatever new life you have, with or without a cabin or RV and share it with your loved ones.

Dale
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I, like you can't see myself dogless. My Berner boy is 120 pounds and to vacation in other than an RV would be rough. Many of my trips are to AKC shows, love the dogs and most of the people. There are many things in life I probably won't ever do because of the pup and my lifestyle,(never flown on a plane) but that's really Ok with me. To give up the rv would require a vacation home somewhere and it would always be in the same spot, unlike the RV. We all make choices in life, make wise ones.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe,

I can sure understand your quandry living in the Boston New England area. A nightmare to get away from and to come back into. Can take the fun out of about any adventure you do! Our son worked for Bose as a manager of R&D at Bose Mountain and lived at Worcester. After a year and a half, he'd had enough of the traffic and issues of the Boston area and bought an automotive seat manufacturing manufacturing company in the Midlands of England near Leicester. Later sold and moved back to the USA and now retired and living in Northern Michigan, he said never again to the insane types of life!

We have none of these issues where we live and we're also going to quit RV'ing, when they close the casket lid! Until then, go, go, go cuz we're only 72 years old...
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since my wife died, no longer have road trip partner, my RV is used mostly as the cabin on the lake. Luckily, I have suitable lakes 15 and 30 miles from home. Nearest lake where I could actually have a cabin is more like 100 miles, so I'd probably just move there. And I'd need to buy a boat more expensive to use, and keep up, than the already paid for RV.

So change of lifestyle for now just means a change in how I use the RV. For the way I'm using it, something different, small TT or van camper might work better. But what I have, works.

We used to cruise, 20-40 days a year, cannot yet make myself do that alone, though I still have destinations. Substitute for that has been group touring, local travel club has a few hundred members, four to forty might go on any particular tour.

Life changes, we adjust.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
When I first started camping I couldn't understand why everybody didn't do it. Fast forward 20 yrs and it's a struggle to find nice campgrounds on short notice. I wish more people would buy cottages.....lol

Enjoy whatever stage of your life your at, if your happy were happy for you.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)