cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Macerator pump systems

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use or have used a macerator pump system on your RV sewage outlet? I am considering going that route.
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!
18 REPLIES 18

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Had one on my Roadtrek...when I sold it, I was so relieved to not have a macerator on my new rig! I really didn't like it as you never knew, for sure, when it was through pumping...and I figured it was just a matter of time till the motor burnt out.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Golden HVAC wrote:
I bought a portable macerator pump at West Marine. As expensive as boat items are, they actually where lower cost than a RV supply store for a macerator pump.....text deleted...

I use the same type marine macerator pump with a few pvc fittings to allow my normal sewer hose to connect to the macerator pump. My home dump station has 1 inch pvc running about 75 feet, and this works well. I use a short flexible hose to connect the macerator pump to the 1 inch pvc, and get power using spring clip connectors to the power at the leveling pump.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a portable.. And a 50' Black Hose to go with it (The hose is black)

I have used it on occasion to pump to a sewer inlet that was far, far, from RIG.

Work great.

Normally though I use the 3"

Works FASTER
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
drillking wrote:
Does anyone use or have used a macerator pump system on your RV sewage outlet? I am considering going that route.

You don't say why you want one - or why you think you need/want one?.:R

*If* you need to pump sewage a long distance - or uphill, or both (for whatever reason) - it's nice to have..:C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
fred42 wrote:
I have heard that macerator pumps can burn out if you run them dry. If this is the case, how do you empty the liquid in a long hose once the liquid has stopped entering the pump?

The Flojet has a connection for attaching a garden hose so that clean water can be pumped thru unit after dumping to flush the macerator and discharge hose.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that macerator pumps can burn out if you run them dry. If this is the case, how do you empty the liquid in a long hose once the liquid has stopped entering the pump?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I use the regular hose to dump at camp but when I head home from a trip someone always needs to use the bathroom (me included) when I get home I hook up the pump, get a lot of water into the black tank to suspend any solids and start the pump into a line I had installed for the camper. good clean tank and empty too. Don't have to wait for next trip out or for that matter, and last week was the last time this year, winter is a coming

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used our OE macerator for 8 years with no trouble. At a dump station we pull in, dump, and leave in the time it takes a gravity rig just to get set up.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used one for 7 months last winter, we were living in ours while the house was being built. I used 1" PVC and was 220' long. Worked very well. I used a separate 12 volt, 30 amp power supply. The only glitch we had, was when the wife bought cheap Wal-Mart brand toilet paper. We use Scott's brand religiously now.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a FloJet, We camp at a place with water and electric and a sewer dump 150' away and maybe a couple inches higher than the trailer. So the first year we had 150' of 1" flat hose on reels. Ran the hose out, hooked up the pump and after a while burned up the pump. Spent the next couple hours replacing the brushes, cleaning the armiture and getting the pump running again. Put it away for a couple years.

This year I had the bright idea of using 1 1/2" swimong pool back flush hose. This time I'm another 25' away from the dump station so I need 175' of hose. Well, 50' of 1" first, then the 1 1/2". Well, the pump couldn't build enough pressure to unkink the pool hose so it was pump for a minute, then take out the kinks. Run again, new kinks. Finally after about 2 hours I have both tanks dumped, then comes the cleanup. Needless to say the tote tank may be a bit more physical labor but time wise much shorter time than the pump.

A marine grade pump I'm sure would work fine for most distance.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Macerators have their place........when you need to 'pump' uphill, when you need to 'pump' long distance, when you need to 'pump' into a waste tote in the back of your truck, when you need to 'pump'..well you get the idea.

Gravity thru a 3" sewer hose works great..unless you need to 'pump'

I have a portable Flojet.....use it at two places. When visiting Sister..have to pump 75' up a 2' incline and at a friends place where I have to pump 100' to the cleanouts. Otherwise it's in its case.
Priceless when I need to pump...otherwise it's just extra weight and taking up space
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
One trick I do with a macerator pump to get the solids out of the black tank:

Once you have gotten the black tank empty, turn the pump off, pull the grey valve, let the water in the grey water tank backflush the black tank. Then wait until it evens out, close the grey valve, run the pump until the black tank is empty. Do this one more time, then empty the grey tank completely. I've found this gets almost any remaining stuff out without requiring additional water.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t give a firsthand opinion because I never found the need for one so have never owned oneโ€ฆ
but for what itโ€™s worth, I know others that doโ€ฆ they can be a messy maintenance item, are slow to drain and need power to operateโ€ฆ
some swear by them and I have heard others swearing at themโ€ฆ
since gravity has worked great for 40 or so years I have never saw the value in them, but have no doubt others doโ€ฆ
I think a lot of people have them and don't normally use them...
good luck with your decision
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I started out with a macerator. I liked it OK, but it is slower and tedious to use. And when it is really hot outside, you may need to let the unit cool off half way through.

It's in the front storage area of my 5th. Haven't used it in two years. Regular drainage is so much faster and therefore more thorough. But if you need to drain uphill . . . it can't be beat.