cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Max tire pressure and daily temperature changes

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
I searched but I couldn't find any definitive answer (e.g. here).

I usually leave in the morning and have all tires in TV and TT inflated to the maximum. But at that time it'll be around 60F in the Puget Sound area. During the day and after I'm through the Cascades temperatures will be in the range of 80-100. Is there any risk of a blowout? Should I not use the max pressure in this case?

Thanks.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)
9 REPLIES 9

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, will keep doing that early in the morning. A TPMS seems nice but I had bad experience with wireless stuff (I tried a camera and it sucked). I wonder how reliable they are.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We are prepping for a 50 day trip and I will set my 5er tires at 80, my truck rear tires at 80, my truck fronts at 70 and not worry the rest of the time. Been setting my tires that way since '05 and have never had an issue. Just lucky I guess.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pressure pro system. I have set my pressures at 65 on my class D tires. Here is what I have noticed. If the trailer is not in tow the pressure will rise with temperature (only a couple psi if tires are not in the sun). But when under tow for 10 miles or so I find my pressures do not very much (maybe 5 psi)from towing at 60 degrees ambient and 90 degrees ambient.
I have also noticed when under tow for at least 10 miles the tires on the sunny side will run about 1-2 psi greater than the tires on the shade side.
After under tow for 5-10 miles I watch for any tire pressure change.
I had a tire down a couple psi (still several psi from alarm) from the others. I stopped at the first chance where I could pullover safely and found I had picked up a 3/8 by two inch bolt in one of my 5th wheel tires. The TPMS saved me some grief that day.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
As Gonzo42 states, 1 psi per 10 degrees ambient temperature change. With a 40 deg change we are only looking at 4psi increase / decrease in the tire pressure. I am very particular about tire pressures, so I generally check pressures first thing in the morning at the coolest time of day. I started doing this when I noticed a substantial difference in left / right tire pressures from the sun beating on one side of the vehicle. A couple of psi difference left and right IS a big deal (to me).

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
The rule of thumb that I follow is that the tire's pressure increases by one psi for every ten degrees F. As was said, the mfg's do take temperatures into consideration when building the tire. I always try to check my tires in the morning just after I read all my newspapers. Air temps here rarely get into the extremes, because why? Because its S. CA.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, its too dark to read. Mark Twain.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only check/adjust tire pressures (truck/trailer) in the AM when they are 'cold' (haven't been driven on).
I run MAX PSI on trailer tires (110#) and MAX PSI on truck rear tires (80#) as I run at/close to max load ratings. Truck front tires are at 55# always as the weight doesn't change whether towing or not. Truck rear tires are at 45# when not towing.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

iawoody2
Explorer
Explorer
And cold is 70 degrees. This is the listed temperature on most all tire manufacturer websites.

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Tire manufacturers state to check tires when cold. I read that to say that they are designed to accommodate any increase in pressure due to heat. I fill mine to the specified PSI when cold

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers take temperature fluctuations into account. That's why the tire max pressure is for cold tires.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL