cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National General has lost my business!_

rvsue1985
Explorer
Explorer
I've had National General insurance on my vehicles and RV for the last 7 years and never had a claim. Took my RV out after the winter to find water intrusion with damage to the cab floor and wall. Took the RV to Camping World, their preferred provider. National General denied my claim saying Camping World told them it happened over time and although I have full coverage is not covered because they cannot determine what caused the leak. Since I didnt hit anything, I'm not covered. I have "Other than collission" coverage but denied because I didnt hit a tree or other object. Oh, I also have water intrusion coverage but now find out that is in the event of a flood. Just a note: ask your agent questions before purchasing your policy to find out exactly what is not covered. I called 2 other rv insurance companies and was told by both of them this would have been covered with their insurance. Thanks for nothing National General.
25 REPLIES 25

bodyshop_bob
Explorer
Explorer
Mile-High-Endura wrote:
How many of you check the plumbing under your shower? I noticed something running down the right rear tire cover. When I pulled the cover to see under the shower there was the p-trap just hanging there. The factory had glued the connection together instead of the correct way. We have vinyl floors never noticed any water (no carpet to get wet). Over time the floor in the bathroom, hall and out toward the kitchen area got soft. Very costly repair. I repaired the shower drain with a rubber coupling. Sure would've been nice to get some help from insurance for the floor repair. I don't believe it was a lack of maintenance on my part.

Jeff

Too late for this loss but a picture of the p-trap just hanging and your statement that it had always leaked would have supported an "accidental" loss and might have been covered by your insurance company. I've personally been involved with covered losses that were similar in nature.
The age-old rule in insurance is coverage applies if the loss was "sudden and accidental". Just because it took time for you to notice the damage doesn't automatically deny the claim. The loss occurred because someone accidentally failed to connect the plumbing correctly. Another rule of thumb is, "an unbroken chain of events" so if you can successfully show such a chain existed in your loss then coverage might be afforded.
You should know, however, that each use or event that led to the damage could be considered a separate loss and subject to a deductible. Insurance is weird.
Bob & Carla
Josh & Emily
mostly Lab mix Eryn
Chase is waiting for us at the Bridge
2007 Chevrolet 2500 D/A
2015 Jayco 339 FLQS

bodyshop_bob
Explorer
Explorer
There's part of me telling myself, "don't post this" but another part telling me "go ahead".
First - the basic rule of thumb in providing coverage is "sudden & accidental". So, NatGen has a basis for the denial. However, and this is a big however, if your statement is true that CW has yet to identify the leak then a formal denial is impossible. How the water got in has yet to be determined. NatGen does NOT have to pay for a diagnostic - that's the owners responsibility. But without a diagnostic of how the water entered then the absolute truth of sudden and/or accidental isn't fully known.
Did you have any violent thunderstorms recently? Could the water have entered thru a window left open accidently? If a window was left open it could be covered. Did high winds peel back some caulking allowing the water in? It could be covered.
Simply put - without knowing where the water got in then the coverage is up in the air.
Ask for a formal denial letter. Ask your adjuster to list who determined the cause of the intrusion and quote the policy specific language the denial is based. Then, pay CW there pound of flesh and go find another reputable repair shop and have them read the denial letter and see if they agree with the diagnosis from CW. If the new shop finds that the intrusion "could" be sudden or accidental you're back in the game by asking the adjuster to re-evaluate the original denial.
90 out of 100 adjusters don't know the first thing about RV construction. They absolutely rely on reputable shops telling them how and where the damage occurred.
BTW - I know a little about how insurance companies work.
Bob & Carla
Josh & Emily
mostly Lab mix Eryn
Chase is waiting for us at the Bridge
2007 Chevrolet 2500 D/A
2015 Jayco 339 FLQS

Mile-High-Endur
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you check the plumbing under your shower? I noticed something running down the right rear tire cover. When I pulled the cover to see under the shower there was the p-trap just hanging there. The factory had glued the connection together instead of the correct way. We have vinyl floors never noticed any water (no carpet to get wet). Over time the floor in the bathroom, hall and out toward the kitchen area got soft. Very costly repair. I repaired the shower drain with a rubber coupling. Sure would've been nice to get some help from insurance for the floor repair. I don't believe it was a lack of maintenance on my part.

Jeff
2005 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 8.1 gas
2000 24' Pace Shadow Limited w/ Husky Equilizer Hitch - resting in Texas while we fulltime
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ PS, PB, Automatic, Factory Air

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvsue1985 wrote:
Of course I wouldn't expect the insurance company to pay for lack of maintenance. Really nice how most of you can just determine that was the problem. Even Camping World hasn't determined the problem yet. My problem is that the insurance company lets you think you are covered but then comes back and says that you dont meet the criteria. Their other than collission requires specific circumstances. Even their water intrusion is only valid for flood. Then why dont they call it flood.
I certainly don't want to be a part of the wolf pack here, but your original post seems to say you thought you had a certain level of coverage, but when you needed to use it after paying on it all these years, you don't have the coverage you thought you did.

The only responsible party in that situation is you. Read your policy and understand your coverage. No insurance company is going to prod you into doing so as they happily cash your monthly check.

It's OK to be PO'd though. Sorry for the trouble your having. Get it fixed, get a policy with the coverage you desire and then go camping.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

soren
Explorer
Explorer
rvsue1985 wrote:
Of course I wouldn't expect the insurance company to pay for lack of maintenance. Really nice how most of you can just determine that was the problem. Even Camping World hasn't determined the problem yet. My problem is that the insurance company lets you think you are covered but then comes back and says that you dont meet the criteria. Their other than collission requires specific circumstances. Even their water intrusion is only valid for flood. Then why dont they call it flood.

No offense here, but you are quite lost when it comes to what you bought (an insurance policy) and what you erroneously think it should be paying for (a lack of maintenance, and/or workmanship or design issues with your rig). "Most of us" can determine that a lack of maintenance IS most likely the issue, because leaks and damage are not only common, but in the vast majority of the cases, they ARE due to a lack of maintenance.

In some cases, the RV is just scrap from the moment it left the assembly line, and there is no maintenance regiment that will save it. I experienced this with a Fleetwood travel trailer that was built with defective cargo doors. The doors allowed hidden water intrusion, and the rig was destroyed within two years. My dealer then forced the company to rebuild the unit. This was also something that would of resulted in a denial by my insurance company, since, much like a lack of maintenance, it has nothing to do with the insurance company's contract with the RV owner.

Finally, it is no surprise that Camping World can't find the source of the leak. Two issues come to mind. First, finding the origin of a leak can involve extensive demolition of the interior, to track the source. At $120/HR and no real idea if the insurer, or owner will be willing to cover what could be a very large bill, there are limits to how far a repair shop is typically willing to "dive into" this kind of problem. Second, there are many, many seasoned RVers out there that wouldn't let CW touch their rigs, either based on a really bad previous experience, or the reputation that CW has developed when it comes to the quality of their work. Personally, I don't mind dropping in to a CW to spend a few bucks on items that I don't have the time to find online, but there is no way that my rig will even end up in their shop. So the question is, do the have somebody that is competent and experienced carefully investigating your leak problem, or is their a semi skilled, low wage helper stumbling through the job, while his boss peeks in, every hour or so, to check up on him?

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a Insurance company pay for water intrusion from lack of maintaince

Had a 3 year old travel trailer totaled out due to water damage. Being a newbie, I had no idea about caulking.

Strange how insurance companies supposedly don't pay for overloaded vehicles, no maintenance, etc, but will pay when I go drunk thru the stop sign at 80 mph!
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
johnnyrv wrote:
you should have been covered just like the homeowners who got damage from ice dams this last winter.

That is still an acute water intrusion problem. Not a leak that may have occurred over a protracted period. I do not know of any insurance that covers a leak of that nature. Call it lack of maintenance or just a leak that was not discovered timely but good luck getting insurance to cover it once it is classified as this type of water intrusion. If the wood is rotted enough to need replacement it is probably not something that just happened.
That's what I mean by lack of maintenance I have the same problem with a slideout. By the time you discover the damage it's to late.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
johnnyrv wrote:
you should have been covered just like the homeowners who got damage from ice dams this last winter.

That is still an acute water intrusion problem. Not a leak that may have occurred over a protracted period. I do not know of any insurance that covers a leak of that nature. Call it lack of maintenance or just a leak that was not discovered timely but good luck getting insurance to cover it once it is classified as this type of water intrusion. If the wood is rotted enough to need replacement it is probably not something that just happened.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
rvsue1985 wrote:

You stated that you pulled out your RV from winter storage and it had extensive water damage... Unless you put it away with extensive water damage, it happened during the time in storage. That means either the storage company is at fault for failing to keep water out of indoor storage; or you didn't make sure your RV was properly sealed before storing it in an outdoors storage area.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately "full coverage" doesn't mean anything that could or would happen.

Instead it means "something... minus these things, not including these things, forget about this stuff and if you are lucky and your problem isn't in this list, we will give you some $$ should ""something"" happen."
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

rvsue1985
Explorer
Explorer

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are insured as vehicles not houses. If you had a water leak in your car/truck, would you go the the insurance company to fix it? Nope.

You are insured for liability, collision and comprehensive.

Don't be too hard on your insurance company, they're probably isn't any company that will cover it.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
"Just a note: ask your agent questions before purchasing your policy to find out exactly what is not covered."

In my experience that doesn't work either. Now before we buy any insurance on anything we read what is covered and what is not before buying any policy. And that's not exactly easy either with their terminology. If they won't provide the policy example and not a slick brochure and let you read the fine print before buying, we don't buy.

Lots of problems with insurance company's. That's one reason why they are so regulated and the main reason most states have had to set up a special dept. known as the "insurance commissioner".

Bottom line is Insurance company's don't get rich paying claims.

That's true. Yet, insurance companies always make a profit. ALWAYS!!
Their stockholders (or member/owners) insist on it.
Where is YOUR retirement fund invested? There is a good chance that YOU are part owner of one or more insurance companies!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"