cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a Propane Grill

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace our portable charcoal Weber grill with a portable propane grill of the same design. Apparently this grill has been redesigned and gets horrible reviews. So, looking at the Weber Q 1200 propane grill, but am open to suggestions. Anyone out there using one of the Weber Q series? Must be able to fit the limited storage of a class C, grills evenly, and easy clean up, which is VERY important to me. Leaving for a trip soon and RV Park doesn't allow charcoal gills; my favorite way to grill. Thanks for your input. Happy traveling.
43 REPLIES 43

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Weber Q1200 in purple. Great steaks on it. We love it.

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Weber Q series. Went from a road trip grill to the WeberQ. With the lid shut my WeberQ gets HOT!

I do not try to cook whole chickens, just steaks, burgers brats, etc.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
We like our weber Q1200. Cannot feed a large family or cook multiple items at once, but it is great for the two of us.

I configured mine to run off the onboard propane, bottle, or canisters. The adapters fit inside the unit for storage and it just barely fits in the slide through door.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Charbroil Grill2Go. It's less rounded and fits in a tighter spot. It also grills great. Keep the regulator out of the rain though.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
IDman wrote:
I used to have a heavy Weber Q and after it quit the third time in three years, I stuck it in a garage sale. I bought a stainless steel Aussie at Big 5 for $80 on sale. It has 3000 more BTU than the Weber and is 10 lbs lighter. That matters to those of us with bad backs!

It get VERY hot very quickly, and you can adjust down to a very low heat, too. I like it!

X2! I love my Aussie! Stainless, relatively compact (for storage), gets extremely hot extremely fast, has a thermometer on the lid, even has a second "bun" rack.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Coleman Roadtrip is a joke. Yes, avoid, avoid, avoid - even if your life depended on it. We never ever want to see another one even from a distance.

We bought a brand new Weber Q1200 off CL a few months ago. The owner won it and we got a great deal. It does have some drawbacks. Doesn't get quite hot enough when you need it to be. A full-size griddle is not available like on the Roadtrip. It's a little too tall and won't fit into our pass-through unless I remove the pins and take the lid off. Can't boil a pot of water on it (major drawback IMO). The 1/2 size solid griddle is too rough. Otherwise is well made. They do seem a little over-priced and the price is the same no matter where you look.

We just about always use our grill and wish there was one without the flaws (sigh). The grill manufacturers should talk to RV-ers and design something better.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a heavy Weber Q and after it quit the third time in three years, I stuck it in a garage sale. I bought a stainless steel Aussie at Big 5 for $80 on sale. It has 3000 more BTU than the Weber and is 10 lbs lighter. That matters to those of us with bad backs!

It get VERY hot very quickly, and you can adjust down to a very low heat, too. I like it!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
4x4 Dodger, you can't possibly suggest that large char broil as an option for a traveling grill?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I have a coleman road Trip and all I can say about it is: AVOID. It gets the job done.. But it is truly anemic.. There are far better ones out there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
We like our portable Weber Q so much, we got rid of our huge stainless contraption at home. The regulator did go south on it fairly quickly but the second one has been going strong.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Weber Q series has many devoted and at times rather ideological fans.

I am not one of them.

I find the Q series has many faults. I do not like mine at all.

It does not get hot enough to properly grill a very good steak. (700deg)

You cannot cook a whole large chicken on it or anything that needs truly slow INDIRECT heat without expensive additional "Accessories" from Weber.

The single large burner means you cannot do indirect heat.

The side vents at the place where the top meets the bottom are way too large letting out too much heat and even in a mild breeze can keep the unit from getting hot enough to put a sear on meat.

One of it's biggest faults for it's expensive price is it DOES NOT come with a normal propane adapter hose as virtually every other grill of it's price point does.

It's use with the Coleman type propane canisters (which cannot be legally refilled) brings up some disturbing environmental questions:
Is it really smart to throw away a STEEL canister that can only be used for 4 meals? And that is only if they are relatively short cooking times.

Whatever you do DO NOT purchase an adapter hose from Camping world, the Mr Heater brand. I did and Three of them were defective. Leaving me no choice on my trip to Mexico but to use the very scarce and expensive Coleman type..when they could be found. I spent an additional $75 dollars on those canisters in three months because the third bad propane hose gave out just a week after I entered Mexico. It had been purchased 2 weeks prior.

I have since bought a Char Broil branded hose (also made in China just like the Mr Heater hose and its has worked perfectly)

If all you cook are hot dogs, hamburgers and cut up chicken pieces this grill will be fine. But if you cook like I do, it is rather a disaster. I typically grill several very different foods at the same time...Steak Artichokes Peppers and potatoes. I need a grill that can have different burner settings and indirect heat.

The Weber is sturdy, as all Weber's are but it was a cynical Marketing decision on the part of Weber to design a grill that was so limited in effectiveness that it needs 3 or 4 expensive additional accessories to do what every grill should do without them...cook a whole chicken, ribs and a variety of foods at the same time.

I have since found a small Char Broil that I am considering replacing the Weber with. Yes it's big but it's a REAL GRILL.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
IMHO the weber Q takes up waaay too much room because of its rounded design and handles that you can't stack anything around it and JMHO it is more of fancy case than a good grill.

You're entitled to have any opinion you want, "humble" or not :W , but in my opinion your conclusion that a Weber Q "is more of a fancy case than a good grill" is baloney :R ... and hundreds of thousands if not millions of Q owners would agree. :B

Obviously everyone comes up with their own solution for storing a Q when camping, I prefer a bin with a lid that seals in greasy cooking smells and stores easily in the back of my truck. At home my Q bin stacks just fine in the workshop. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BabyQ since 2005. Cleans up easily. The burner and cast iron grill that would have been eaten up on any other grill is still in great condition.

Not cheap but you only buy it once!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

badbob1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill for the last 20 years and will buy another when this one wears out. Have not found any others that are as compact and work as well as this handy grill.
BadBob

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Geobiker wrote:
Need to replace our portable charcoal Weber grill with a portable propane grill of the same design. Apparently this grill has been redesigned and gets horrible reviews. So, looking at the Weber Q 1200 propane grill, but am open to suggestions. Anyone out there using one of the Weber Q series?

Must be able to fit the limited storage of a class C,

grills evenly, and easy clean up, which is VERY important to me. Leaving for a trip soon and RV Park doesn't allow charcoal gills; my favorite way to grill. Thanks for your input. Happy traveling.

IMHO the weber Q takes up waaay too much room because of its rounded design and handles that you can't stack anything around it and JMHO it is more of fancy case than a good grill.

I have tried them all and threw them all out.
This is what I ended up with and VERY happy. Folds flat like a laptop so you can stack them and fit easily into the smallest bay.

You can go three different ways. I ended up buying the one with the grill AND the double burner one because they take up such little room and are so easy to store.

One for just grilling:

Grill and burner:

and a double burner for some serious stews, chili, & soup cooking.

Add one aluminum lightweight folds flat table that fits all these grills perfectly like in the above picture, from Walmart and you are good to go! :C

I use the half burners half grill shown above. perfect for camping but not even close to a webber. its a camp bbq the webbers are real bbqs. I love mine for what it is but I would never use it at home. a webber I would put equal to my high end blue ember that I have at home on the patio. bought mine for tailgaiting when I had to fit my **** in a jeep TJ
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....