cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need opinions, anyone with experience?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife wants to get a set of walkie-talkies, like boaters uses on the water.

I've been wanting a set of these for a long time, and have suggested to her my interest, and she also thinks they would be fun (and handy) to have. The reason we have not purchased a set before is because we always use our I-phones for communication, even backing up the camper and finding each other in the grocery store.

For those of you who have them, do you find them useful (assuming you also have a cell phone too)? Do you actually use them? And if you do, when? Under what conditions that's different than a cell phone will do?

Cost is not a factor, We've come across some nice ones, even some that have built in weather alerts (which I think could be VERY handy just for this purpose alone ... camping and at home).

What's your thoughts? Those that have them, what do you use them for, other than for backing up the camper with a spotter? Need ideas, as I'm trying figure if this would be useful, or just end up in a yard sale some day?
32 REPLIES 32

lovemountains
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our TT, we often camped in mountain areas or near a lake where there was no cell service. We were glad to have our walkie talkies for backing up into a campsite.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife wants to get a set of walkie-talkies, like boaters uses on the water.

I've been wanting a set of these for a long time, and have suggested to her my interest, and she also thinks they would be fun (and handy) to have. The reason we have not purchased a set before is because we always use our I-phones for communication, even backing up the camper and finding each other in the grocery store.

For those of you who have them, do you find them useful (assuming you also have a cell phone too)? Do you actually use them? And if you do, when? Under what conditions that's different than a cell phone will do?

Cost is not a factor, We've come across some nice ones, even some that have built in weather alerts (which I think could be VERY handy just for this purpose alone ... camping and at home).

What's your thoughts? Those that have them, what do you use them for, other than for backing up the camper with a spotter? Need ideas, as I'm trying figure if this would be useful, or just end up in a yard sale some day?

you're asking about Family Radio Service (FRS) radios. we use them for backing up into the site but I also carry one with me when taking the dog for a walk or when I'm hiking.

as others have mentioned these radios have a very low powered and have a very short range as they are line-of-sight. the packaging may promise you coverage extending for miles and miles but don't believe it. my experience has been between 1-2 miles.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
We have a set of Cobra walkies, use them all the time when backing, as we usually camp in areas with no cell reception.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a pair but use them so little that usually the batteries are dead. Prefer to use the cell phones. On my end I prefer to use the cell phones because they come via blue tooth into my hearing aides so I don't have to tie up one hand holding the radio.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a few sets. Still have a set of Motorola FRS radios. We don't use them as often as we use to. We used them to keep in touch when separated in theme/amusement parks, but have found texting to be more convenient. We also used them to keep tabs on the kids while they are playing with friends in the neighborhood, but now we just use cellphones for that.

About the only thing we use them for anymore is if we are traveling together in separate vehicles. The backup camera on our Motorhome has audio, so I can hear the wife through the MH's speakers when she's spotting me into a camp site.

If you think they will be useful, get them. Having built in weather radio would definitely come in handy. The only thing I'd recommend is get ones that can be recharged while in the radio, not separate rechargeable batteries.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a set in the clipper. Don't use them that often as I usually camp alone (can talk to myself without technology). They have come in handy during several instances when I've been out with others:

1. caravaning with other vehicles - "anyone need a gas stop", etc.

2. one in each RV in the campground at night - great to be able to say "you up yet?" or "look outside, there's a bear/deer/racoon in our camp", etc.

3. during the day while camping - rarely have cell phone coverage, so these come in handy for location updates, etc. This is the most limited use as you can't be too far apart for the radios to work especially in forests.

I also used them when my Dad was ill. He kept one by his bed and if he needed something in the middle of the night, he pinged me. I couldn't hear him call from where I was sleeping and the beep of the radio woke me up quickly.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I picked up a cheap set of Cobra's with rechargeable batteries from CW. Use them to back the TT into the driveway and camp site. Yes, you can use the iphone, but these are easier - no dialing and putting on speaker. We take them hiking as well in case we get separated.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MSGMadhatter
Explorer
Explorer
We use them when parking the TT at home or on the road. They can help avoid stress and damage to the TT or the TV. If I am out on the lake they are useful to communicate. Accidents happen. I don't want to lose a phone on the lake or any other circumstance. Once I had my phone on my belt in a holster. I was draining the black tank. I bent over to pick up the water hose, my phone popped out of the case, hit the ground one time and bounced directly down the dump pipe.
Now I leave the phone in the TV.
MSG MADHATTER (Life Member Good Sam)
1500 HD Silverado, 6L
Jayco Eagle Super Light 298RLDS (Hers)
Jayco Greyhawk 24SS Class C (His)

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We have a set and use them when backing the boat down a ramp, especially with the truck camper on. DH in the boat, me in the truck and he let's me know when I have the trailer where he wants it for loading or unloading.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We use our phones when out and about, but when we are driving in separate vehicles (following) or directing one or the other when parking, we use the radios. They are much easier than texting, are insensitive to ambient noise, and not illegal when driving. No need to dial the other person and hope they have the ringer loud enough to hear, then waiting for them to answer it. Just push a button. When we had the nextels with the push to talk function, we used those. When using the radios, we also don't have to rely on a cell signal - the radios work regardless of where you are and they don't drop 'calls.'
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
We frequent areas with no cell service so walkies come in handy. You're never going to get the advertised distance except maybe across water. I've found them handy to alert a buddy to fish or for the wife to get hold of me when I'm out on the water and she's in camp.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed...should be interesting to hear what people use them for.

What ever you get make sure you can return them. He have a set of the Cobra brand. Cobra has a lot of different models. I think we have a very cheap model because the volume turned all the way down is still to loud. Beyond the volume issue they are nice to have around.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with walkie talkies in the past was so many folks were using them that you sometimes would miss a call from your other half. Kids would abuse them so you would hear a lot of "Can you hear me now" "Where are you" "Can you see me"... squelch was useless especially in crowded locations.

We now use our iPhones for communicating.

And will use the Cobra brand walkie Talkies if we are in a remote location where the channels are quiet.

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't used ours in years. I would tend to think that its just one more thing to carry around. I'm not sure about the range nowadays, but lets say your on opposite sides of a campground. If the quality is spotty, aren't you going to use the cell phone anyways?

Now if you want them because you want to turn off the cell completely and leave it in the trailer....then I could see the benefit.

My other issue with them is that everyone nearby can hear your conversation ie its not very private.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have a set we bought long ago but have not used them in years. Use the phones instead. Just another thing to carry. And limited range. Only advantage would be in an area with no cell service.