cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Champion inverter generator

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone that is looking for a new Generator. Champion has apparently come out with a new 2000 watt inverter model. Configuration is more inline with the other brands small units instead of the cube. Claimed noise level is 53 as the cube was.
https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100306-2000-watt-inverter-generator/

The only reason I saw it was the new Tractor Supply flier has them in it. Selling for $399

This is a repost because I did not realize that post in around the campfire did not make the main board.
24 REPLIES 24

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Can I parallel a Honda 2000 and the 2200?

Ignore MrWizard and follow Honda's official advice ... successfully paralleling an EU2000i to an EU2200i depends on the serial numbers. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MrWizard
Should be no problem
People have paralleled a 1000 with a 2000
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Can I parallel a Honda 2000 and the 2200?

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
Curious if this new Champion 2000-W Inverter Gen will have high altitude jets available for it as that was not the case for the original Champion 2000-W Inverter Gens.

Due to my interest in this gen, I've been doing some reading about it. I have read that no H/A jet is available, but performance at H/A can be improved by removing the air filter. It seems only the larger Champion models do have the H/A jets available.

Hoping to see some discounting on the 306, after they become much more available to the many Champion distributors.

Jerry

Yes, only the larger Champion Inverter Gens have had H/A jets available. Was certainly curious about this one but there is actually a question posed on that early link where it was speculated no H/A jet would be available for this new 2000W gen.

I do have two of the original Champion 2000W "cube" Inverter Gens w/ parallel kit and it is recommended by Champion to drill holes in the air filter cover and slightly shorten the plug gap to help lessen the H/A effects, details are on their website. I personally wouldn't remove the air filter but then again, when I'm boondocking, if I'm running my gen(s) it's on dirt and there is usually at least a slight breeze.

I suppose my best "financially reasonable" alternative would be to look into the dual-fuel 3500W Champion and sell the setup I have now.
I love me some land yachting

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RedRocket204 wrote:
Curious if this new Champion 2000-W Inverter Gen will have high altitude jets available for it as that was not the case for the original Champion 2000-W Inverter Gens.

Due to my interest in this gen, I've been doing some reading about it. I have read that no H/A jet is available, but performance at H/A can be improved by removing the air filter. It seems only the larger Champion models do have the H/A jets available.

Hoping to see some discounting on the 306, after they become much more available to the many Champion distributors.

Jerry

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I love me some land yachting

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Interesting, they look similar to a Honda, but you can stack them.

Link

The ad you linked to says they can be stacked.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While the light wt is nice, it may be due to cheaper components, and it seems the 306 has an upgraded motor, even though appearing to have less running watts.

I plan to purchase the 306 at some point, but will wait for a deal, rather than suggested list of $499. Not sure if HD will have a sale on them, but would take one today for $450, free shipping. I will wait/watch, as will not need till next May.

Jerry

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
According to the specs:

The black one puts out 1700 running watts and weighs 38.6 lbs.
The yellow one puts out 1600 running watts and weighs 46.3 lbs.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

The (yellow) Champ 2K ... has more features than the black one on sale at TS.

True ! Each person will have to decide on their own if those features are worth the extra $100.

The easy to read Digital LED Display includes maintenance, low oil and receptacle status indicators and monitors power output, total run time, fuel level and fuel life.

Champion minimizes the hassle of refueling in the dark with Fuel Fill Assist LED, a cleverly designed push-button LED built right into the handle to illuminate the gasoline fill area.

Champion 2000W generator Model #100478

Champion 2000W generator Model #100306

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Sometimes bigger is not always better.

I don't understand how arbitrarily speaking, smaller displacement is a hindrance. :h

In the case of Honda's new EU2200i it is. The previous EU2000i with it's larger 98 cc engine was already the class leader in surge capability, up to a 1/2 hr at it's full rated power, the new EU2200i with it's even larger 121 cc engine is even more capable of sustaining it's full rated surge output. All other competition pales by comparison.

While in the final break in phase I loaded my 2200i to about 3000 watts and it throttled up higher than normal but put out. One day I will test the max output. This gen rocks.

considering it has a 20 amp breaker im curious how you did that

Thermal circuit breakers can do that easily, for a short while. 3000W at 120V is 25A. A thermal circuit breaker will probably take a minute or more to trip with a small overcurrent like that. If the test was short it would not trip.

Steve

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
That new Honda 2200i reminds of my 650 watt Honda EX650 ... it powers the DW's hair dyer even though it's not supposed to. :h and :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
opnspaces wrote:
Interesting, they look similar to a Honda, but you can stack them.

Link

The Champ 2K in this link has more features than the black one on sale at TS. The yellow with more features is $499 at HD. I don't really need one, but would buy the HD one for $399. Does Home Depot ever have generators on sale?

Jerry

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
Sometimes bigger is not always better.

I don't understand how arbitrarily speaking, smaller displacement is a hindrance. :h

In the case of Honda's new EU2200i it is. The previous EU2000i with it's larger 98 cc engine was already the class leader in surge capability, up to a 1/2 hr at it's full rated power, the new EU2200i with it's even larger 121 cc engine is even more capable of sustaining it's full rated surge output. All other competition pales by comparison.

While in the final break in phase I loaded my 2200i to about 3000 watts and it throttled up higher than normal but put out. One day I will test the max output. This gen rocks.

considering it has a 20 amp breaker im curious how you did that

Ok so I just got my second killawatt in the mail the other day, so I just tested it with a 1500 watt heater and 1250 watt hair dryer.
It would put out 2300 total and was dropping both about 300 watts from their rated power consumption. Couldnโ€™t see that before but they both still ran and didnโ€™t trip any breakers so I assumed it was putting out their rated consumption. I just didnโ€™t have enough monitoring equipment to be thorough.
So the max output is ~2300 watts at a DA of 2500 ft.