cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new traffic law in tn

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
july 1 those, impeding traffic in the left lane on three land highways, will be fined 50.00.
doesn't matter about speed limit, if you are impeding traffic, other vehicles behind you to back up or stopping someone going faster to slow down etc they will be fined.
won't do much about two lane highways, like yesterday a jeep, going up the mountain was staying at about 45, when the speed limit was 55, and traffic was moving faster than that.
flashed lights and she ht the rakes trying to cause an accident.
semis in right lane doing about 30.
she passed them and we were clear and tried to go around, she hit the gas and went bck down to 45 when she approcahed the corner of another semi in the right lane.
she would not get over.
got past her and she she shot us the finger.
how dare we. it was her lane and she was enforcing her speed limit.
75 REPLIES 75

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolbreeze01 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:

Recently I was pulling a trailer on a 2 lane interstate. I'm in the right lane doing 67, but I come up on someone that's doing far less. The left lane is open. I slide over there to the left lane just to make the pass, but I get hung up there because a plethora of impatient drivers being passing me on the right...despite my right turn signal being on. Naturally, some of them gave me the finger or made some other motion as they passed. Oh well, not my problem.

Sounds like you made the pass and then failed to get back in the right lane soon enough.

X2
You need to be able to know when you have the space to one back over.
It never amazes me the number of drivers that can't use mirrors to determine when the are past some one.
I have been driving right mirror required vehicles for over 45 years and don't give it a second thought. When I pull over to pass it is all about getting the pass done and back over before slowing the next vehicle behind me.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Newbiecampers wrote:

Where did I say it wouldn't apply the other direction?

And to add: this new law has nothing to do with safety or any other bogus arguements. It is all about revenue generation.

Isn't tennessee one of the states known for using civil asset forfeiture laws to take cash away from motorists on a regular basis? Might be Kentucky, can't exactly remember.
IMO this law actually is about safety, unlike speeding which is revenue generation. This law will help smooth out the flow of traffic by trying to keep people from having to switch lanes frequently, which will help reduce accidents. You won't have faster traffic coming up on slower traffic unexpectedly in the passing lane. Having driven in Europe I can attest to the fact that traffic moves more smoothly and quickly when everyone pays attention to which lane is for passing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guy Roan wrote:
down home wrote:
july 1 those, impeding traffic in the left lane on three land highways, will be fined 50.00.
doesn't matter about speed limit, if you are impeding traffic, other vehicles behind you to back up or stopping someone going faster to slow down etc they will be fined.
won't do much about two lane highways, like yesterday a jeep, going up the mountain was staying at about 45, when the speed limit was 55, and traffic was moving faster than that.
she passed them and we were clear and tried to go around, she hit the gas and went bck down to 45 when she approcahed the corner of another semi in the right lane.
she would not get over.

So you are one of those that is better than everyone else and flashes your lights if the vehicle in front of you is going too slow for your liking.
Do it too me and I'll slow down too !

Guy

Flashing light is legal and customary.
The car was going below the limit in the left lane. Couldn't see exactly but she may have been texting. She certainly was fiddling with something.
She had a line of traffic backing up for about a half mile, a firs more later.
We tried to go around her after the first semi and she sped up to prevent it.
What she did was illegal and dangerous. I should have called THP and hung with her until they arrived.
I had the dash cam video.
I said what they hey let her be a fool.
Any other time I would have called them.
Don't play macho, it's my road, with the wrong people some time, and cause wrecks.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Newbiecampers wrote:
Gotta love all the hypocrites who whine and complain about people breaking one law (impeding traffic), while they themselves gleefully break another law (exceeding the speed limit).

Yet another example of the entitlement mentality pervasive in this country.
Wouldn't that be exactly the same thing in reverse for the people that get all bent out shape over the people who speed so they gleefully impede traffic?

Where did I say it wouldn't apply the other direction?

And to add: this new law has nothing to do with safety or any other bogus arguements. It is all about revenue generation.

Isn't tennessee one of the states known for using civil asset forfeiture laws to take cash away from motorists on a regular basis? Might be Kentucky, can't exactly remember.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Newbiecampers wrote:
Gotta love all the hypocrites who whine and complain about people breaking one law (impeding traffic), while they themselves gleefully break another law (exceeding the speed limit).

Wouldn't that be exactly the same thing in reverse for the people that get all bent out shape over the people who speed so they gleefully impede traffic?

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:

Recently I was pulling a trailer on a 2 lane interstate. I'm in the right lane doing 67, but I come up on someone that's doing far less. The left lane is open. I slide over there to the left lane just to make the pass, but I get hung up there because a plethora of impatient drivers being passing me on the right...despite my right turn signal being on. Naturally, some of them gave me the finger or made some other motion as they passed. Oh well, not my problem.

Sounds like you made the pass and then failed to get back in the right lane soon enough.
That's exactly the same thing I was thinking when I read his post.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
So who gave you the right to decide for every one else what the speed limit should be in the passing lane? If you are so righteous, get out of the passing lane and drive any speed you want to. Why do you take the position that flashing lights is a ominous gesture? I just assume you are just temporarily oblivious to the conditions or what you are going. That is how road rage is created. Get over and let faster traffic proceed. If they are breaking the law, the law will eventually nail them.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
alaska315 wrote:
I'm sure I'll catch some flak but I am a retired LEO and I used to enforce that law in my State and did it with a smile on my face.

Actually nailed a few DUI's that way.

No flak from me.. Thank You for your service.

I have several friends in Law Enforcement... even 1 was an Ohio State patrol officer, 20 plus and retired.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
she would not get over.

So you are one of those that is better than everyone else and flashes your lights if the vehicle in front of you is going too slow for your liking.
Do it too me and I'll slow down too !

Guy

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
Yes and no...don't misinterpret what I'm saying. Hypothetically, let's say the speed limit is 70 and I'm traveling 78. I will not move over for anyone in such a scenario. If I'm going 70, then it's a judgement call. Flashing lights or giving me the finger doesn't make me go faster or slower. Life is a lot better when you quit caring about how someone you've never met feels about you.

And that right there is the problem with the world... You are in your own little world and you refuse to buy into societal norms. You are going to do whatever you want because you don't care about the guy next to you. How I chose to drive is not YOUR judgement call unless you have the vested law enforcement authority to issue me a citation for speeding.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:
So....
They've created a law that will force you to break the law in order to keep the law so that others may break the law.

BTW, I don't impede traffic and regularly drive at an elevated (but safe) speed if I'm in the left lane...but I can assure you that flying up behind me and flashing your lights will not help your case.

X's 2

The minute I read that I figured the OP was one of those idiots that when I am passing another car and I am going the speed limit comes flying up behind me ten MPH over the limit, flashing his lights wanting me to go faster and get out of his way.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
So....
They've created a law that will force you to break the law in order to keep the law so that others may break the law.

BTW, I don't impede traffic and regularly drive at an elevated (but safe) speed if I'm in the left lane...but I can assure you that flying up behind me and flashing your lights will not help your case.

So you don't let faster traffic get around?

Yes and no...don't misinterpret what I'm saying. Hypothetically, let's say the speed limit is 70 and I'm traveling 78. I will not move over for anyone in such a scenario. If I'm going 70, then it's a judgement call. Flashing lights or giving me the finger doesn't make me go faster or slower. Life is a lot better when you quit caring about how someone you've never met feels about you.

But back on topic, any law of this nature is basically unenforceable and practically illogical unless someone is intentionally trying to impede traffic by fluctuating their speed or hanging with the car next to them. In a more normal scenario, if a slow car is in the left lane, then you should just pass them on the right. If you can't pass them on the right, then maybe it's because the traffic on the right is slower. If you have passing ability but choose not to, then you are the one impeding traffic. Maybe they can't get over because of traffic. Far too many subjective factors come into play.
78 in a 70 MPH stretch of highway? And another example of someone who picks and chooses what laws apply to themselves. Apparently you think speed LIMITS don't apply?

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Won't do a nickels worth of good in less it's enforced.
I would much rather see them ENFORCE the SPEED LIMIT laws!