cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nut backed off ball caused accident

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
I was heading up to santa cruz ca. in my 40' american eagle I had my motorcycle in tow on a utility trailer. Before I left I had tighten the nut on the ball with an air impact driver the kind that you take lug nuts off a car or truck it was tight lock washer in place. safety chain hooked up all was good. traveling down the 101 near north Hollywood ca. I saw the trailer jumping in my rear camera as I slowed the trailer let loose breaking the safety chain and hitting another car. what a mess. I have never had this happen before but the nut from the ball was laying there on the freeway. now I am having insurance issues on the trailer and coach it was the vacation from hell and it's not over. The only type of ball I will use from now on is one with a cotter pin going through the bottom of the shaft. Uhaul carries them. Sorry for the sad story but i hope this will help others. I still do not understand why that nut backed off
Tom
63 REPLIES 63

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Tighten with a torque wrench or a breaker bar with a pipe you didn't get it tight enough with your little impact wrench. The take a steel chisel and a hammer strike the threads with the chisel. One hit on each side directly under the nut will do it. Periodically check the nut but the boogered up threads will keep it from coming off again. Now if you ever need to take it off yo can either use a pipe wrench (sometimes you can use an adjustable)to hold the top or file the thread so the nut can pass.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Sorry to read of your trouble. Next time weld the ball on, or the nut to the threads. Been doing it for years. After all, when does anyone change the ball? Even if they did need to, a grinder will cut out the weld.
Nuts will come loose if the hole in the mount is bigger than the ball stem no matter how well torqued. Could that be the cause?

Seen that problem more than once....

As suggested....good tack weld on nut/threads after properly torqued.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We were just talking to our friend the same thing happened to him, luckily there was no damage to his TV or 32' TT. It happened as he was just pulling into his CS.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Read his post, he had a lock washer.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
lock washer, hello
So big a world, so little time to see.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
In 41 years of towing I have never had a ball come loose .
And I have not really done anything special to tighten them .
I have a 40 year old ( old style ) torque wrench that I use to tighten stuff only because it is the longest lever in my 1 /2" drive socket set .
all of them have the standard lock nut washer .
however, I have 4 stingers , plus my airlift hitch , each of which the ball has been in place for years . Once they're on they stay put .
Sorry for your accident , it could have happened to many of us .

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
iamalienru wrote:
the trailer let loose breaking the safety chain

Not only was the nut not secured properly. It sounds like the safety chains were below spec, too long, or not crossed. There is no reason why a trailer should break proper safety chains if they are crossed. The tongue nestles safely in the cross, and keeps the tongue from digging into the pavement. When that happens the tongue will break safety chains, or the hitch. That is why you cross safety chains.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
iamalienru wrote:
I still do not understand why that nut backed off

Sorry for your troubles but I know exactly why the nut backed off.

I have a really nice 1/2" impact gun and a 2 stage air compressor so I can really jack up the pressure when needed. It won't back off some headbolts rated at 120 to 150 ft/lbs of torque.

The stud you have on your ball is like 400 to 500 ft/lbs of torque.

Sorry, but you weren't even close to getting enough torque on the stud.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
hope things work out,glad no body hurt, and learn, I,m gonna go recheck mine in the morning. thanks for the post ,you might have saved some lives.

Explorer
Explorer
If you use a pipe wrench or a crescent wrench a 4 foot helper bar and lean into it you will never ever have a loose nut on your ball.
nuff said
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Tip the hitch sideways and slide it into the receiver. You don't even need a torque wrench. calculate your weight and length of pipe breaker bar you need and stand on it. 3/4" nut 160 pounds, 1" nut 250 pounds, 1 1/4" nut 450 pounds ft pounds. I personally wouldn't trust any air wrench for torque.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
That's why the instructions that come with the ball say to tighten the nut with a torque wrench, not an impact wrench. Totally your fault. Surprised you admit using an impact wrench on that. You have no idea of what torque you are developing with an impact wrench. Depending on the ball size the correct torque is up to 450 ft lbs.
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to read of your trouble. Next time weld the ball on, or the nut to the threads. Been doing it for years. After all, when does anyone change the ball? Even if they did need to, a grinder will cut out the weld.
Nuts will come loose if the hole in the mount is bigger than the ball stem no matter how well torqued. Could that be the cause?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, cotter pin with ball threads, better known as a "Jesus clip" keeps you out of trouble. Or just drill your own, cheap insurance
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Hitch-balls-mounts/Hitch-balls/2-Hitch-Ball-2-3-16-Shank-Length?...

Here is a close up of a cotter pin in threads, if any folks never seen one before. See the pin in the threads? Nut can't back off or maybe I should say a lot harder to come off. Cheapest insurance you'll ever find.http://www.omninerd.com/assets/content/2/4_article_131_full_installed_hitch.jpg
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
What is your impact gun rated for?

At what PSI?

They do lose torque capacity over time...how old and how well maintained or used is it?

Without a torque wrench or some such, calibrated tool...no one knows what the
torque was on that nut.

What is the torque required on that ball/nut? The info is on the label/package/etc
it came in

Another thread on this topic here at this link: How often do you need to tighen your hitch ball?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...