CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
21 REPLIES 21

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Actually the Dodge power wagon had the first 4 wheel drive PU in 1946 civilian version , " from 15 trucks that changed America ". International did have the first crew cab PU in 1957 with 3 doors, upgraded to 4 doors in 1961. Chevrolet had the first doolie in 1973. Dodge had the first Diesel PU in 1989. Chevrolet had the first independent front suspension PU in 1960.

Brother's shop sometimes works on a restored '46 GMC or Chevy dual wheeled pickup. IIRC, '73 was the first year GM sold the 4 door cab. Still had a 8 foot bed, looked long enough to get stuck in both ditches at the same time.
I think that all the time IH was making light trucks, other than the Carryall, most of their sales was to fleets. Buying 1, the others where cheaper, but buying more the cheaper they got. 3 farmers that I worked for on occasion got together and ordered a fleet of HD pickups. Over time I moved all of those trucks. All 4 speeds, but no 2 had reverse in the same place.
My IH was the first time I found I needed the VIN to order the right part.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Look at the custom canopy on the first truck! Prolly one of the first full size 4wd pickups too.
That 2nd one though looks like a 1/2 ton. The caravan probably all stopped there to tell him he was over his gvw, rawr and towing rating....

Donโ€™t know about the trucks
But it looks close to the bridges gvw
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Look at the custom canopy on the first truck! Prolly one of the first full size 4wd pickups too.
That 2nd one though looks like a 1/2 ton. The caravan probably all stopped there to tell him he was over his gvw, rawr and towing rating....
Actually the Dodge power wagon had the first 4 wheel drive PU in 1946 civilian version , " from 15 trucks that changed America ". International did have the first crew cab PU in 1957 with 3 doors, upgraded to 4 doors in 1961. Chevrolet had the first doolie in 1973. Dodge had the first Diesel PU in 1989. Chevrolet had the first independent front suspension PU in 1960.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
C Schomer wrote:
We used to sayโ€ฆ The only thing international Harvester built that was worth a **** was a manure spreader, and they wouldnโ€™t stand behind it!

Haha, classic!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
My 62 was like that, but only after I rolled it :-).

I used to drive around town with the window down and my left arm hooked around the door so I could easily pull it closed each time I went around the corner.

That was when I was young and stupid.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had friends that had those old IH trucks. Yes they were tough. But, they rode and drove like,, well like a truck.

Last one I rode in was my friends 1964 IH truck in about 83 or so. I was in the passenger seat and he took a left turn at a stop light. I leaned against the door and it flew open. He had to reach over and grab me by the shirt to keep me from falling out in the middle of the road.

Durable trucks but the door latches sucked. He started holding the door shut with a bunji cord to keep it closed.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
We used to sayโ€ฆ The only thing international Harvester built that was worth a **** was a manure spreader, and they wouldnโ€™t stand behind it!
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think those folks are lined up to see which rig will be the first to fall through that rickety old bridge...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Were they within towing and cargo capacity?

LOL. I had a Holmes wrecker bed mounted on mine. Single rear wheel, and I hooked on to a couple of trucks where I had issues with the front wheels lifting. But always had plenty of power.

fj12ryder wrote:
Yep, I have several friends, my age and older, and they all refer, or referred, to IH as "Binders". Which I always assumed was meant as another name for a "reaper" or "binder".

Towing, you likely know the area. I was leased to a large operator that bought ton trucks from many dealers to get their tow business. Mine was the only one in the fleet that could get on I29/35 northbound off Armour, towing a Caddie, and be doing the speed limit when we got to the split.

gbopp wrote:

Aiming your headlights high to drive through corn and hay fields at night to feed the stock? I never heard that one.

Drive thru corn field? Better not knock any down. Don't cut any ruts. A hay field, never grows as high as lights.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Around here everyone refereed to them as a old "binder", have no idea why.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Were they within towing and cargo capacity?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I bought a brand new '72. I, even back then, knew how to use a screwdriver to aim the headlights.
The term "corn binder" had nothing to do with headlight aim, but was related to the fact "International Harvester" was mainly a agriculture equipment company.
Yep, I have several friends, my age and older, and they all refer, or referred, to IH as "Binders". Which I always assumed was meant as another name for a "reaper" or "binder".

We always called them Corn Binders. I had a 71 Travelall years ago. It was a tank.
Aiming your headlights high to drive through corn and hay fields at night to feed the stock? I never heard that one.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed and I just drove west on parts of old Route 66, following the route his newly-married father took right after WWII, pulling a travel trailer from Michigan to California so he could learn about working with "plastics". That must have been one long trek....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!