cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Porta Bote feedback

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have a Porta Bote ? We're thinking of a 12 footer with a 6 hp outboard. I'm aware it's not a boat to take 30 miles off shore for tuna fishing, but with a little common sense I'm thinking it would be great for lakes, and sheltered inland waters (Puget Sound).
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson
13 REPLIES 13

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The weight for an outboard jumps considerably past 6HP and is more than I would want to carry into the water. One alternative is to use a trolling motor and a 12v deep cycle battery. The battery can be recharged from the cigarette lighter of the truck or the inverter of the RV. Still have some weight as I would want a group 24 size battery to power the trolling motor.

One drawback with the Porta-bote is its low freeboard so it is not fun fishing from inside it when people are jetting around pulling wakeboards or waterskiers. As a segment these are some of the least considerate people on the planet.

Another drawback is when not using it on a trailer it needs to be assembled at the launch area and then disassembled before leaving the area. If you are camping right at the beach where you can leave the boat overnight it is less of a problem but you will still need to retrieve everything inside the boat each day. A bass boat or similar boat that has inside keyed lockers for storing fishing rods and other gear makes this a lot easier to manage and more time is spent out on the water than in schlepping gear back and forth at the start and end of each day of use.

This is where a pickup or SUV with a roof rack and hauling a travel trailer provides the option of having a small boat or multiple kayaks transported on the roof and other gear stored safely in the bed (if a cap/shell is on the pickup). With a pickup truck the fuel and motor can be in the bed and not in the cab.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I also have a 14' with a 8 hp Nissan outboard.
Works great. Set up and take down is about 20-30 minutes. I carry it beneath my 5'er with ratchet straps. Great for lakes and small rivers.
Very durable hull.
It is a simple efficient way to get out on the water when camping. Having a boat available changes the camping experience.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

tbirds255
Explorer
Explorer

We have a 14' Porta Bote with a 9 hp motor. I have to agree that the motor seems to be the biggest challenge, as it takes the two of us to lift/install it, but a smaller motor can also be used. We like it because we can remove the motor, throw the boat in the back of the truck while it's still assembled, and go to a different lake. We fish in the High Sierras of California where there are endless lakes to fish. Ours travels on the roof of our truck that has a shell on it with Thule rails installed. The 14' porta bote weighs about 90 lbs, so to get it on the truck roof it is a 2 person job. Ours was purchased used with the motor from Craigslist. They sold us everything needed, including the roof rack, and a Bimini ( which we still have never used) for $2,000, which was way less than buying it new. We have since added a few folding seats which just add to the comfort of it. I don't think you would be disappointed with one.
2005 Ford F-250 Power Stroke Diesel
Crew Cab FX4
1978 Avion 30P (9.1 meter)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Had 12' old style. Was too flimsy for my family. 4 hp propelled it nicely.
Sold it for what I paid. Will pay for a rental in the future.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
I had one and it was OK. Problem was hauling around the outboard and the fuel tank. Switched to kayaks.

Can't say much about the Porta-Bote, as we have an Avon inflatable, but I agree about hauling the gas engine and fuel around. Next outboard will be one of these: LEHR propane outboard. West Marine is their biggest dealer.
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one and it was OK. Problem was hauling around the outboard and the fuel tank. Switched to kayaks.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a used 2005 12' Porta-bote a few months ago but haven't used it yet. I plan to power it with a 3.5hp Eska outboard I purchased last summer.

I purchased these mounting racks from Porta-bote. They were on sale and still cost over $200 (normal price was something like $400 :E). I will say that the racks appear to be sturdy and well made, though it would seem that $200 should have been the normal price.

Steve

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and the hull is practically indestructible unlike a blow up pontoon boat.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 12 footer, with a 6hp Nissan 4 stroke outboard. DW loves it. I can put it together in about 15 minutes, unless others are around, then it takes about an hour. EVERYONE wants to ask about it.

With the two of us, it will actually get up on plane! It will go way faster than I am comfortable with.

Mounted on top of my car, ready to head out. Seats, transom and motor all in back of car.:

Pulled up on the beach:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 1999 12ft model with 5hp 4-stroke outboard until I sold it in 2012. I used it on Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas lakes. Worked perfect for the wife and I and the occasional grandkids or two. Looking to buy another one (new style split transom) 12ft again. I think that's the best size, 3 seats. The original 12 with motor was bought used in 2003 for $1000. The new boat only will cost about $1800. Towed the last one using the RV brackets mounted to the side of a TowLite travel trailer. The new one will be hauled under my fifth wheel.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We had one for several years and liked it a lot. We only used it on small secluded ponds and lakes and drove it with an electric trolling motor. That was only a little faster than rowing, but much more restful. Had to give it up after becoming disabled, too much trouble getting into and out of it. It was fun, and much better than a canoe.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the 12' with a 6 hp Mercury back in 2003. It comes in handy for exploring. With just me in it, it will get on plane and max out at about 18 mph. With 4 people and gear it won't plane and maxes out at about 5 mph. We are able to fit it inside our fifth wheel down the center asle. Lake Tahoe is the largest lake we've been on and that was mostly hugging the shoreline. It's great for smaller lakes. They're not cheap! I think we paid around 1200 for the bote and around 1600 for the 6hp.
The newer ones with the integrated reinforced transom is the way to go. The thrust from the outboard was the weak link in the older design. I love the light weight. It can be carried to the lake from our campsite without the need of a boat ramp. Good luck.
E.Lee Galik

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We owned one, and really enjoyed it. The floor undulates in all but the smoothest water - not a problem, but does take a little bit to mentally accept it. After some practice, I could assemble it myself in about 10 minutes. We had a 6HP Nissan that would scoot it around pretty quick.

We had a houseboat named Dog Paddle. The Porta-bote was for taking our dogs "to shore." It was named Dog Piddle.
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor