cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
mockturtle wrote:
I still think that most are missing the point! It's not a question of anyone being antisocial. It's a question of why anyone would park right next to the only rig in an otherwise empty campground. In other words, it's not about camper number one, it's about camper number two. It does happen and I consider it a phenomenon worthy of anthropological study. ๐Ÿ˜„
Let me save you some money on your anthropological study. There's probably 3 million or more RV-ers in the US; so there's probably 3 million or more reasons why they picked the spot they did. So the end result of your anthropological study is "As long as they are not breaking any rules, you just have to accept their choice". We I was a kid we called that "If you don't like it you can lump it".

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I can see I wasn't exactly clear. Let me make it simple...

People camp right next to other people in an otherwise open campground because it is human nature.

It is not 'normal' to hike off into the woods and rough it. A team approach has been typically more successful in survival and making babies.

I know, I know, silly baffling humans,,, always doing stuff subconsciously based on thousands of years of success.

...yea.. I watch a LOT of the History and Discovery Channel.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not talking about RV parks. I'm talking about BLM land where camping is dispersed. I think those from the East and upper Midwest may be unfamiliar with this kind of camping.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
0rion wrote:
Crowe wrote:
what is the thought process of pulling in right next to another RVer when there would be 100 other empty sites of the exact same kind as in my example above?

Just accept the fact there isn't any and move on! Why get so wrapped around the axle about something that is so trivial? There's one thing you, Mock and the OP have to realize. It's not camper #2 that has the problem. It's YOU.

ding ding ding......we have a winner

X2

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
0rion wrote:
Jloucks wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Let's put it another way to try and get a definite answer.

If there's a 200 site campground and all the sites are alike - no rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. They're all the same length of site and are all in the forest - no views. Say it's off season and there are only a handful of campers there.

So the question is, why would someone in the above circumstances, park right next door to another RV?

If they did, I think the real answer is because they need the security of people. People nowdays are used to being connected to others - all the social sites, Facebook, etc. and many constantly hold their phone in their hands checking their texts and waiting for it to ring. Folks seem to need ready access to people. That's my theory.

I think it is pretty much a known fact that humans are social creatures. Funny thing is.. camping humans, on average, sway the other way. ...sometimes. Other times, they park right next to you. It really is just that simple.

So, technically, the anti-people people are the exception. ...there are just more of this exception when camping.

Look where most people work - Jammed in with other people
Look where most people live - Right next door to other people
...school...
...sports...
...movies...

So camping is a surprise?!

to explain the anti's I think you need to look at the actual act of camping. When people camp they like to think they're bonding with nature or somehow making do with less than they normally would. Of course this is after they've spent 30 minutes setting up their $40k rig and putting out all the tiki torches, entrance rugs, folding gravity chairs, awning lights, hooking up to 30amp shore power, water line, and sewer. After that though....it's all about roughing it.

Hehe,, good freakin' point! Not tenters we are talking about here. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible that they just might be more comfortable with someone beside them instead of being with no one around them. It's also possible that the last one in got into their favourite site in the entire place. Who knows? I do find it silly that someone in an RV park would expect spaces beside them to remain unoccupied just because there are other empty spots around. Want privacy, boondock it, don't go to a park.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
I still think that most are missing the point! It's not a question of anyone being antisocial. It's a question of why anyone would park right next to the only rig in an otherwise empty campground. In other words, it's not about camper number one, it's about camper number two. It does happen and I consider it a phenomenon worthy of anthropological study. ๐Ÿ˜„

No, the question is why would someone that wants privacy set up camp in the best site of an unoccupied park? If they made a better (worse) selection to begin with maybe no one would camp next to them.

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
what is the thought process of pulling in right next to another RVer when there would be 100 other empty sites of the exact same kind as in my example above?

Just accept the fact there isn't any and move on! Why get so wrapped around the axle about something that is so trivial? There's one thing you, Mock and the OP have to realize. It's not camper #2 that has the problem. It's YOU.

ding ding ding......we have a winner

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
I still think that most are missing the point! It's not a question of anyone being antisocial. It's a question of why anyone would park right next to the only rig in an otherwise empty campground. ๐Ÿ˜„

Well, one really gets it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you. It is not antisocial to want to camp in peaceful surroundings. It's getting in touch with nature and your own being. We love all kinds of RVing - from boondocking by ourselves to group camping with friends.

What I'm trying to figue out - and mockturtle is also - is what is the thought process of pulling in right next to another RVer when there would be 100 other empty sites of the exact same kind as in my example above? Most folks would not do this but for those that would, why?

sher9570's comment: "Plus, most people are social...to want privacy is one thing and most of us want that on occasion, but to totally isolate yourselves from other people is really sad".

Sher, you're saying that most want privacy on occasion. Well, that's what I'm trying to understand. With so many empty sites, the OP was hoping for some privacy. If the OP wanted to isolate himself he could go off in the forest boondocking. All he was hoping for was a little privacy in a half-empty campground. Even in some RV parks we have been assigned a space and the office person stated "there are not many here so I'm trying to space people out". We really appreciated it. Granted, it didn't last that long but for a few days we had a little privacy without having to listen to the RV conversations right next door.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
but to totally isolate yourselves from other people is really sad.

Not really. Some people just aren't social types. However, it strikes me as odd that if you AREN'T social, why would you come to a developed campground? Suppose that's rhetorical too!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Let's put it another way to try and get a definite answer.

If there's a 200 site campground and all the sites are alike - no rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. They're all the same length of site and are all in the forest - no views. Say it's off season and there are only a handful of campers there.

So the question is, why would someone in the above circumstances, park right next door to another RV?

If they did, I think the real answer is because they need the security of people. People nowdays are used to being connected to others - all the social sites, Facebook, etc. and many constantly hold their phone in their hands checking their texts and waiting for it to ring. Folks seem to need ready access to people. That's my theory.

It could be possible too that these two RVer's know each other and agreed to meet up.
Plus, most people are social...to want privacy is one thing and most of us want that on occasion, but to totally isolate yourselves from other people is really sad.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
to explain the anti's I think you need to look at the actual act of camping. When people camp they like to think they're bonding with nature or somehow making do with less than they normally would. Of course this is after they've spent 30 minutes setting up their $40k rig and putting out all the tiki torches, entrance rugs, folding gravity chairs, awning lights, hooking up to 30amp shore power, water line, and sewer. After that though....it's all about roughing it.

Excellent theory and I think it's being reinforced as we all sit here on our laptops and PCs conversing with each other, OP included (although I think by now he's on a Rocky Mountain High!). :B How many posts have there been with pictures of the campsite, posted on RV.net? Hundreds. My idea of communing with nature is being out in the middle of nowhere with no sounds but the birds and the wind-until it comes time to sleep or I have to go potty! :B

Back to the OP's question: It's really unanswerable. Rhetorical even. There's a million answers yet there's no answer. And the OP, being who he is, won't find the answer he is looking for no matter what.

Douglas Adams

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Speak for yourself.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8