cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Iโ€™ve always wanted to know how your supposed to know how much propane is in your tank before it runs out?
40 REPLIES 40

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on where you are, "topping off" a tank can be somewhat costly since many places charge a set rate to fill a tank. Other places fill by the pound, which is how it should be, but don't be caught by by surprise with a $20 charge to top off a 30# tank.

I use an electronic scale to check my tanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of those cheap magnetic tank level things. You stick it on the side of the tank and pour boiling water over it. It changes color at the level the propane is in the tank.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I never top off the propane cylinders. When the Cavagna regulator is red the empty cylinder is removed and filled. Never had trouble finding propane while on the road. Although during light use I will fill after returning home.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Diamond c wrote:
I have 2 tanks and manually switch from one to another when first one runs out. I was just looking to know how much the one that Iโ€™m on now has in it. Weโ€™re leaving tomorrow for a few days and I hate to get there and one run out as soon as we get there. The web site says that they sell propane but I had just rather not have to fool with it while weโ€™re gone if I donโ€™t have to.

So go top it off today
Then you have 2 full cylinders

Simple....

LOL,
Before we full timed when we returned from a trip, we would spend the next week getting ready for the next trip. Besides laundry and replacing staple foods, included topping off the propane tanked last used on the trip, we always left with two full tanks.
I would check the auto switch over regulator to see if the first tank was empty.
I never liked the thought of the first tank running out at 2:00 am on a cold, wet, and windy night. I would rather check the gauge the next morning and see I need to fill the empty tank.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
We have this one. Really like it!
propane detector
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
Your cooktop will show when tank level is getting low. Yellow flame. Your fridge may have a warning when the tank is getting low. Shaking the tank in place will tell you when it is getting low. Easy to tell a full one from an empty one. The tone of a tank when given a tap will let you know which is empty & which is full.

I don't use the automatic switchover on the regulator. I like to do it manually. When one goes empty, switch & refill at earliest opportunity. Less chance of forgetting till all out that way.

Stove top is LAST item to be affected by low propane as it has it's own LP Reg under the top that controls to 10"WC when system is 11"WC
System has to drop to/below 10"WC before stove would be affected.
Fridge/Water heater/furnace require the 11"WC to properly burn.

Furnace would be first as it has the largest burner
Water heater and then fridge with smallest burner

Besides ...Yellow flame would be 'fuel rich' flame (lacking enough air for complete combustion)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your cooktop will show when tank level is getting low. Yellow flame. Your fridge may have a warning when the tank is getting low. Shaking the tank in place will tell you when it is getting low. Easy to tell a full one from an empty one. The tone of a tank when given a tap will let you know which is empty & which is full.

I don't use the automatic switchover on the regulator. I like to do it manually. When one goes empty, switch & refill at earliest opportunity. Less chance of forgetting till all out that way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Top them both off. Why worry about something that is such a simple fix. RV furnaces suck propane like someone else is paying for it.
If you are at a campground electricity will be the key to conserving propane.
Run an electric heater,an use the furnace as a supplement,

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We are kind of new to tt camping, especially in cool/ cold weather. Not sure how fast the furnace uses up the propane. Really just donโ€™t want to run out in the middle of the night and either get real cold before I wake up or have to go out and swop it it cold temp or bad weather in the middle of the night.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I top off both tanks before a big trip just to be on the safe side. If we're only going to be gone for a week and won't be using the heater, I'll just lift them and if one of them feels full then I won't top off.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Lift the tank and judge the weight. That will give you a pretty good idea of how much is left.

If you want to some simple math like I do for my 1 Gallon Cylinder and my larger cylinders I use This

I know how much the empty cylinder weighs and propane weighs 4.2 lbs a gallon,more or less. Just weigh it and see.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diamond c wrote:
I have 2 tanks and manually switch from one to another when first one runs out. I was just looking to know how much the one that Iโ€™m on now has in it. Weโ€™re leaving tomorrow for a few days and I hate to get there and one run out as soon as we get there. The web site says that they sell propane but I had just rather not have to fool with it while weโ€™re gone if I donโ€™t have to.

So go top it off today
Then you have 2 full cylinders

Simple....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use an AP Products/Mopeka Bluetooth level sensor on my DOT cylinders. It's quite accurate and alerts me when the alarm level I set on the phone app is reached. Works on 20, 30, and 40 lb cylinders.

AP Products 024-1001 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-20-lbs-Empty-Propane-Tank-With-Gauge-308551/300303119

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20LB-PROPANE-GRILL-TANK-SERVICE-VALVE-WITH-GAUGE-COUPLER-OPD-BBQ-OVERFILL-QCC-LP/191564387381?epid=1746624913&hash=item2c9a209435:g:hX4AAOSwPhdVN~YF