cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Queen bed in place of current King

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
We have a king size bed in our 5th wheel and we replaced the mattress last year with a good quality residential. We've had the RV for 10 years and I have always hated changing the sheets and the lack of room on either side of the mattress; it's butted up tight against the walls.
We are going to fulltime next year and I'm really considering cutting down the platform and putting our current queen mattress, which is also new and is memory foam and therefore light in the RV. It would make it so much easier to change the sheets. It would also give me room for a small shelf on each side of the bed for glasses, a book etc. Hubby isn't convinced. We sleep on a queen fine at home but I think he likes the expanse of the king in the RV; also we have two French Bulldogs which we let sleep on the king bed but not the queen because they take up too much room.
Anyone gone from a king to a queen and regretted it or have any thoughts on the matter?
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country
14 REPLIES 14

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
galtgirl wrote:

We are going to fulltime next year and I'm really considering cutting down the platform and putting our current queen mattress, which is also new and is memory foam and therefore light in the RV.
Anyone gone from a king to a queen and regretted it or have any thoughts on the matter?

We went from a king to a queen on our 2008 Montana and liked it so much better that when we ordered the 2012 Montana specified queen bed from factory.

Don't count on the memory foam mattress being lighter. Our very good quality memory foam is actually a little heavier than a standard mattress.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
goin2themountains wrote:
First thing we did with our Montana was take the King bed out, cut down the platform and put in a Queen. Gave us much more walkaround room, and eased access to the front closet. To each his own though. I know others who want the King more than the space.
I did the same thing to my Cherokee.

goin2themountai
Explorer
Explorer
First thing we did with our Montana was take the King bed out, cut down the platform and put in a Queen. Gave us much more walkaround room, and eased access to the front closet. To each his own though. I know others who want the King more than the space.
Puller: '08 HD3500 4x4 dually,CC Duramax/Allison.
Pullee: 2008 Montana 3605RL 10th Anniversary Package, Reese 16k w/ slider (holdover from old shortbed)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
when you look at new RV's, don't rule out queen beds. You will probably have more room to walk around with a queen. I know I will not consider a RV without a side table (or at least shelf) for my glasses, cup of water, phone etc.

As far as the dogs, if you introduce them to the new RV and sleeping in their crates, and they will think it is normal, because it will be. Much easier than trying re-train them to stay off the bed after you have allowed them on the bed.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input. We did live in the RV for 4 years. Our dog ( a large Lab) slept in a dog crate with a cozy bed inside. Sadly he is no longer with us and we now have two 20lb French Bulldogs. We only use the RV on weekends and vacations and have let them sleep on the bed with us because we have the huge eastern king. At home they sleep in crates in our spare bedroom.

Since posting this we have decided to get a new 5th wheel and will make sure the bed is not up against the wall when we decide what we want to buy.
John and Carol Beckman
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the Queen. I hate those beds that are up against a wall. I just would not buy a camper that is built that way, just to hard to make the bed plus I don't like to have to crawl over the bed to get in and out. To each his own but I would make the dogs find a different place to sleep. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
we have a king but changing to a queen so we don't have to buy king sheets and when we go fulltime in a couple yrs we can use our sleep number bed from the house.
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take it that up until now you have not been full-time and have not spend cold months in your RV. I think the dogs will want to sleep on the bed no matter what size you have as the floors get very cold when it is cold outside. It is not a nice warm place to snuggle for the night. I'm thinking they like the bed for sleeping to be near you and because the bed is much warmer than the floor. I wouldn't change the size of the bed.

lonestarbike
Explorer
Explorer
We changed our RV king to a residential good quality queen and we love it. If you can be happy with a queen you'll be pleased with the extra walk around space. I took apart an antique vanity we had and installed the 2 ends as nightstands. The 4 extra drawers of storage are nice since we live fulltime in our trailer.
Brian
www.brianandsharonjones.wordpress.com

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just want to upgrade to a king ๐Ÿ™‚ when we fulltime it will be a king and I won't look back, but one thing you mentioned, the sheet changes...I will keep that in mind when shopping for my final fulltime home.

I would also just put the queen on the platform and try it. see how it does.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
put queen in RV. husband and dogs can sleep there. wife can sleep on jack knife sofa.
solution was easy.
bumpy

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
How about trying the Queen from the house on the next trip? Just swap it in without any other modifications. The other thing that may make life easier with the king is if you had help making the bed...just sayn..
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
The dogs would not sleep on the bed if we put in the queen.
John and Carol Beckman
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I think with dogs you may be crowded.

We have a king in the house, a queen in the TT. We are wishing we could put a king in but the wardrobes butt the mattress.

IMO, I am thinking you are making a huge mistake if you change.