cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Engineering and Construction

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
I spent this afternoon repairing a canned-food storage drawer on our toy hauler. It was obviously loose and not sliding correctly. Yet again, I discovered the poor engineering and construction of RVs. Based on the design and dimensions of this drawer, a common person would find it appropriate for 8-10 canned goods. In taking it apart to diagnose the problem I discovered the metal drawer slide was hanging off the side of 1" piece of soft pine with three 5/16" screws holding the whole thing together. There is no way that design was likely to last for any purpose, much less in a 7,000lb trailer bouncing down the highway at 65mph. This is hardly an isolated instance and such "8th grade engineering" seems to be the norm regardless of brand. I am amazed at the astronomical difference in engineering/construction of the average automobile (for instance) when compared to RVs. Even residential construction standards FAR exceed the craftsmanship in RVs. Like everything, I'm sure its an issue that boils down to economics. But its hard to believe RV companies can't produce a well engineered product with quality construction and still be profitable. Am I missing something?
47 REPLIES 47

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
I don't see "safety standards", speed of building, or money spent as a valid reason why the OP can't put his can of beans in the pantry. IMO, the reason it all comes loose is that someone made a decision to use a 1/2" length screw where a 1" or additional fasteners would have done the job. It is just bean counters at work, trying to save a $.01 wherever possible.

Something alot of folks just don't get about business: there are only two ways to improve profits or make more money ...

Cut costs or raise prices.

The RV industry is so very price competitive because so many RV buyers will turn away from the higher quality unit and buy one that saves them $500-$1000.

With that kind of customer you have to make some difficult choices about what you do and dont do.

In terms of saving screws. If you use 100,000 of those screws a year saving just, lets say for arguments sake in this one drawer, three screws, this makes a big difference.

Also in manufacturing an;ything you want to limit the number of different fasteners you use by type and length. WHERE POSSIBLE.

My contention is that cans don't belong in a drawer and it was never intended to hold that weight.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see "safety standards", speed of building, or money spent as a valid reason why the OP can't put his can of beans in the pantry. IMO, the reason it all comes loose is that someone made a decision to use a 1/2" length screw where a 1" or additional fasteners would have done the job. It is just bean counters at work, trying to save a $.01 wherever possible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Or why can't they install the wall receptacles and TV jacks straight and square?
Or why don't they ever clean up the wood shavings from holes they drill?
Or why are the cabinet doors so flimsy that they tweak and bend every time they're opened/closed?

The list goes on and on. We're certainly not in the market for a new unit, but we do like to look when we go to Camping World or other places that have them. We step into the brand new RV and immediately see 3 or 4 things that are screwed up. This isn't caused by people traffic, but rather they are workmanship flaws on the factory. Yet you can buy a brand new, 3 BR/2 BA mobile home for less money (and arguably slightly better quality) than a typical 26-32 foot travel trailer.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

TheCabin
Explorer
Explorer
One common trait of all trailer brands seems to be poor assembly. Just look at any trailer forum. As I look at YouTube clips of some of the factory tours they look like cheap track houses being nailed together. One that looks more hopeful are the Hymer trailers. I have not seen one yet, but YouTube clips of them look more like an automotive assembly line.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
ThomasFour wrote:
I spent this afternoon repairing a canned-food storage drawer on our toy hauler. It was obviously loose and not sliding correctly. Yet again, I discovered the poor engineering and construction of RVs. Based on the design and dimensions of this drawer, a common person would find it appropriate for 8-10 canned goods. In taking it apart to diagnose the problem I discovered the metal drawer slide was hanging off the side of 1" piece of soft pine with three 5/16" screws holding the whole thing together. There is no way that design was likely to last for any purpose, much less in a 7,000lb trailer bouncing down the highway at 65mph. This is hardly an isolated instance and such "8th grade engineering" seems to be the norm regardless of brand. I am amazed at the astronomical difference in engineering/construction of the average automobile (for instance) when compared to RVs. Even residential construction standards FAR exceed the craftsmanship in RVs. Like everything, I'm sure its an issue that boils down to economics. But its hard to believe RV companies can't produce a well engineered product with quality construction and still be profitable. Am I missing something?

Your missing the fact that we all still buy their junk that they manufacture. And a lot of them are pushing them out the door at 5 or more a day.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
I think one big difference in engineering between a car and an rv trailer is the safety requirements the car is required to meet vs. the trailer. Cars have hundreds of safety standards that they must meet before being sold. As far as I know, trailers have basically none especially when it comes to the interior. You also have the cost and weight tradeoffs to deal with in trailers.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
IDoMyOwnStunts wrote:
73guna wrote:
ThomasFour wrote:
But its hard to believe RV companies can't produce a well engineered product with quality construction and still be profitable. Am I missing something?

They do, its called Airstream.:B

OP has a toy hauler. I'd like to see an Airstream Toy Hauler. ๐Ÿ˜„

Upon further review, they do exist! Airstream Panamerica. Wow. 11700 lb GVWR Triple Axle too. That's one hefty travel trailer.

Yup, I have seen one in the park where we store our coach. I just wonder what that puppy costs

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to be too picky here but canned goods DO NOT belong in a drawer in a moving vehicle. That is just clearly too much weight constantly moving.

I keep my canned goods, which are considerable in number, directly on the floor in the cabinet under the sink. This keep weight low, as it should be and there is no problem with busted drawers.

I am not sure this is as much an engineering problem as it is a problem of loading. I am fairly sure if you had filled that droor with spices, utensils, dishcloths or similar...Pasta? you would not be writing this today.

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
A day does not go by that I don't notice some shortcut Winnebago took to get our ERA 70x off the line quick. I vent from time to time online and that seems to help.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Canned foods in a drawer does put a bit of weight on the slides. We put our canned goods on a shelf, especially since we are aware of the construction standards.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
snip

At $54k for a 19 footer one would think, but the the one we saw had missing rivets so I guess that is why it was only $54K.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
ThomasFour wrote:
But its hard to believe RV companies can't produce a well engineered product with quality construction and still be profitable. Am I missing something?

OP has a toy hauler. I'd like to see an Airstream Toy Hauler. ๐Ÿ˜„

Upon further review, they do exist! Airstream Panamerica. Wow. 11700 lb GVWR Triple Axle too. That's one hefty travel trailer.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
73guna, you are correct ๐Ÿ™‚
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/12/09/thor-industries-big-gains-in-sales-and-profit.aspx

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
ThomasFour wrote:

2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
Good points Blofgren. I feel like I've made so many improvements on our 8 year old RV it is actually more valuable to me now than when I bought it. At the very least, its a "known quantity."