cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Pickups Coming Back?

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I was in Parker Arizona at the Chevrolet dealership and was informed that the Colorado may be at the dealership in August. I wonder if the others will follow. Would be great for those of us that have 5000# hitches. OOPs should have been posted in general.
34 REPLIES 34

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We need the VW Amarok TDI
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2012 Colorado 4x4 as my current Toad. Its a great application weighing in at just 4100 lbs and very simple to attach/detach. I have towed a 25 foot travel trailer with it a thousand miles. Carries all my stuff when not rving.

pops

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
The auto industry has always been "monkey see., monkey do." Ford created the Pinto, Chevy the Vega so AMC chopped the truck off the Hornet and called it the Gremlin. None of these were Great....;). I bet Ford follows GM and brings back a mid sized PU .
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My daily driver is a 2004 Ford Ranger. They don't make them anymore. I bought it for two reasons. I'm a Ford guy and its short enough to fit in my garage. Several on my street have full size PUs, but they have to park them in their driveways, summer and winter.
The people that built this development left the state after they finished - probably at night.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a '99 Ranger - bought it new. it served faithfully and looked good until the underbody rusted so badly the suspension was about to fall off. Junked the Ranger and bought a new 4X4 Tacoma two years ago. The Tacoma has been great - gets 20 mpg on trips, the most I could ever squeeze out of the Ranger was 16 mpg. I would be wary of any new GM truck until the bugs are ironed out - judging from the recent rounds of GM recalls this seems to take about 10 years...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
I am interested as well. Chevy web site has some info. Looks like it will have 3 engines a 4-V6 and diesel. Tow cap. of over 6000lbs. Weight of truck I did not read. I use my 2010 4x4 ZR1 as a toad my love it.

Somewhat watered down version of the Global version, which has a roughly 3000lb payload and a 7,700lb tow rating.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
Too bad they don't bring the Holden Ute from Australia to North America! The Ford Falcon would also be welcome over here!
There are some really neat little Chevy and Ford Trucks roaring around Mexico that would be cool to use as Toads!

Problem is they will not be making them after 2017. Which is a tragedy, being safer, much more car like than any Pickup. The Falcon has a 2,700lb payload, tows 5000lb.

Carvin_Marvin
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 I looked at, weighed in at 7100. The silverado is 6800. That is why I would like to see any of them come back. Thanks for the comments.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
I think the small truck segment has died off because they didn't cost much less, didn't get better fuel mileage, held less cargo and were less capable than the 1/2 tons.
This has been my experience.

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I think the small truck segment has died off because they didn't cost much less, didn't get better fuel mileage, held less cargo and were less capable than the 1/2 tons.

Add it all up and you can see why people passed them over on the dealer lots and therefore, why they have dissapeared.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the local Ford dealership a few minutes ago looking for a late model pickup. Lots of nice choices if you like extended or king cab 4x4s. They do have some low end F 150s (one dealership locally is promoting them just over $18K). I also had a Ranger 5spd but traded it. It was the best truck I ever owned till I got my F-150. Even the F 150 can't beat the mileage of that Ranger.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was only Ford that got rid of their small pick up, did not realize others did as well.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Tech Issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad they don't bring the Holden Ute from Australia to North America! The Ford Falcon would also be welcome over here!
There are some really neat little Chevy and Ford Trucks roaring around Mexico that would be cool to use as Toads!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
chevy colorado and it's gmc equivalent are coming back.they are name only and redesigned small trucks.